Finding the acceleration of the ball in contact with the ground during bouncing

In summary, the ball is dropped from rest from an initial height of 1.2 m. After hitting the ground and rebounding to a height of 0.80 m, it is in contact with the ground for 0.16 s. Using the acceleration of free fall, the acceleration of the ball while in contact with the ground can be calculated to be -5.56 m/s*s in the downwards direction. The velocity immediately after hitting the ground is 3.96 m/s, and the calculation for this velocity should take into account the upward movement being considered negative.
Lay1
Homework Statement
The ball is dropped from rest from an initial height of 1.2 m. Aft er hitting the ground the ball rebounds
to a height of 0.80 m. The ball is in contact with the ground between B and D for a time of 0.16 s.
Using the acceleration of free fall, calculate
the acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the ground. State the direction of this acceleration.
Relevant Equations
v²=u²+2as
v= u+at
the v before hitting the ground immediately=4.85m/s
the v after hitting the ground immediately= 3.96m/s
I considered the down positive, then
v= u+at
3.96= 4.85+ (a*0.16)
so a= -5.56m/s*s
The answer is 55m/s*s
The parts that I don't get are why it must be -3.96 and why that velocity becomes initial v.

Attachments

• Web capture_20-2-2022_20550_.jpeg
    Web capture_20-2-2022_20550_.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 174
Physics news on Phys.org
Lay1 said:
Homework Statement:: The ball is dropped from rest from an initial height of 1.2 m. Aft er hitting the ground the ball rebounds
to a height of 0.80 m. The ball is in contact with the ground between B and D for a time of 0.16 s.
Using the acceleration of free fall, calculate
the acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the ground. State the direction of this acceleration.
Relevant Equations:: v²=u²+2as
v= u+at

the v after hitting the ground immediately= 3.96m/s
I considered the down positive, then
v= u+at
3.96= 4.85+ (a*0.16)
If down is positive, what is the velocity of the ball after the bounce?

Orodruin said:
If down is positive, what is the velocity of the ball after the bounce?
It is negative for sure. So, why couldn't the velocity come out with minus sign in the first place? Thanks for the reply.

Lay1 said:
It is negative for sure. So, why couldn't the velocity come out with minus sign in the first place? Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure what exactly is confusing you. You are told, I imagine, that the speed immediately before hitting the ground is ##4.85 \ m/s## and the speed immediately after leaving the ground is ##3.96 \ m/s##.

If down is positive, then it's up to you to make the initial velocity ##u = +4.85 \ m/s## and the final velocity ##v = -3.96 \ m/s##. You have to apply your physical understanding of the problem to do this. A god of mathematics isn't going to do that for you.

PeroK said:
A god of mathematics isn't going to do that for you.
To paraphrase: There is only one God and his name is Gauss.

• Haha
Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
I'm not sure what exactly is confusing you. You are told, I imagine, that the speed immediately before hitting the ground is ##4.85 \ m/s## and the speed immediately after leaving the ground is ##3.96 \ m/s##.

If down is positive, then it's up to you to make the initial velocity ##u = +4.85 \ m/s## and the final velocity ##v = -3.96 \ m/s##. You have to apply your physical understanding of the problem to do this. A god of mathematics isn't going to do that for you.
I know that after referring to the key. But, I don't understand the part why it doesn't come out with the negative sign even though I applied the upward movement negative.

Lay1 said:
I know that after referring to the key. But, I don't understand the part why it doesn't come out with the negative sign even though I applied the upward movement negative.
What's your calculation for the change in velocity if ##u = 3.96 \ m/s## and ##v = -3.96 \ m/s##?

Last edited:
PeroK said:
What's your calculation for the chage in velocity if ##u = 3.96 \ m/s## and ##v = -3.96 \ m/s##?
The v immediately after hitting the ground is 3.96
The question is why 3.96 didnt come out with negative sign form the beginning.
The next part I don't get is why 3.96 is initial velocity in the answer key. I have no idea about that.

PeroK said:
What's your calculation for the chage in velocity if ##u = 3.96 \ m/s## and ##v = -3.96 \ m/s##?

Last edited:
Lay1 said:
The next part I don't get is why 3.96 is initial velocity in the answer key. I have no idea about that.
Can I add a few pointers...

There are 3 separate parts to the motion:
1) ball falls down;
2) ball hits ground, reverses direction, leaves ground;
3) ball travels upwards and reaches max. height.

The final velocity of each part is the initial velocity for the next part. So we need to take care that we are using the different ‘u’s and ‘v’s correctly.

For example ‘v’ (final velocity) for part 2 is ‘u’ (initial velocity) for part 3.

For part 3:

The ball leaves the ground with velocity u and rises to a height 0.80m (where v=0).

Using ‘down is positive’ note that g is positive but the displacement (s) is negative as it is upwards.
v² = u² + 2as
0² = u² + 2*9.8*(-0.8)
u = ±√(2*9.8*0.8)

The value of u can be positive(down) or negative (up). You must decide which - based on your sign convention and your understanding of what is happening.

Likes Lnewqban
Lay1 said:
Exactly. That is negative. So the acceleration is negative.

Lay1 said:
You haven't shown your workings that lead to the value of 3.96, but I can guess that you wrote ## v^2 = 0^2 + 2 g 0.8^2 ##. What do you think you should have written that would have led to -3.96, and why?

Lay1 said:
The answer key is not well written: for the period when the ball is in contact with the ground the initial velocity is +4.85 m/s and the final velocity -3.96 ms so the equation in part (iii) should be ## -3.96 = 4.85 + 0.16g ## (note that part (ii) is also the wrong way round).

Last edited:
Lay1 said:
The v immediately after hitting the ground is 3.96
The answer key is wrong!

Likes pbuk
Steve4Physics said:
Can I add a few pointers...

There are 3 separate parts to the motion:
1) ball falls down;
2) ball hits ground, reverses direction, leaves ground;
3) ball travels upwards and reaches max. height.

The final velocity of each part is the initial velocity for the next part. So we need to take care that we are using the different ‘u’s and ‘v’s correctly.

For example ‘v’ (final velocity) for part 2 is ‘u’ (initial velocity) for part 3.

For part 3:

The ball leaves the ground with velocity u and rises to a height 0.80m (where v=0).

Using ‘down is positive’ note that g is positive but the displacement (s) is negative as it is upwards.
v² = u² + 2as
0² = u² + 2*9.8*(-0.8)
u = ±√(2*9.8*0.8)

The value of u can be positive(down) or negative (up). You must decide which - based on your sign convention and your understanding of what is happening.
Thank you very much. Now I understand.

PeroK said:
Exactly. That is negative. So the acceleration is negative.
Thanks for the guide

pbuk said:
You haven't shown your workings that lead to the value of 3.96, but I can guess that you wrote ## v^2 = 0^2 + 2 g 0.8^2 ##. What do you think you should have written that would have led to -3.96, and why?The answer key is not well written: for the period when the ball is in contact with the ground the initial velocity is +4.85 m/s and the final velocity -3.96 ms so the equation in part (iii) should be ## -3.96 = 4.85 + 0.16g ## (note that part (ii) is also the wrong way round).
Yeah, that's why I didnt get the last part. I did the 1st two part by myself because they are also the questions I needed to answer. Thanks for the guide.

Likes pbuk
PeroK said:
The answer key is wrong!
Totally!

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What factors affect the acceleration of a bouncing ball?

The acceleration of a bouncing ball is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ball, the height from which it is dropped, the elasticity of the ball and the surface it bounces on, and the effects of air resistance.

How is the acceleration of a bouncing ball measured?

The acceleration of a bouncing ball can be measured using various methods, such as video analysis, motion sensors, or by recording the time it takes for the ball to reach certain points during its bounce. These measurements can then be used to calculate the acceleration using the formula mentioned above.

What is the significance of finding the acceleration of a bouncing ball?

Finding the acceleration of a bouncing ball can provide valuable information about the motion and behavior of the ball. It can also help in understanding the principles of motion and mechanics, and can be applied in various fields such as sports, engineering, and physics.