Finding the activity of a carbon 14 sample

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about calculating the number of C14 atoms in 1g and the use of molar mass in the calculations. The speaker also mentions the need for using a weighted mean or algebraic expression for relative masses in certain cases. They then mention that their answer for part e) will be affected by this new information.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See full question below
Relevant Equations
A = Lambda*N
Hi there

So I have had a go at this question but I'm not confident that I have done the last 2 parts of this question right?

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 19.09.53.png

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

Can anyone please see if this is what you do to get the values?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Think again about how you calculate the number of C14 atoms in the 1g.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
Think again about how you calculate the number of C14 atoms in the 1g.

Is this what I should get instead?

IMG_4653.jpg

I don't know why I was using 14 as the molar mass of carbon-12

Bolter said:
I don't know why I was using 14 as the molar mass of carbon-12

That appears to be a good enough approximation considering the huge excess of carbon-12, good enough for the precision of my calculator, anyway!

If the proportions were less extreme, you'd need to perhaps consider using a weighted mean or else an algebraic expression of some sort for the relative masses.

Likes Bolter
etotheipi said:
That appears to be a good enough approximation considering the huge excess of carbon-12, good enough for the precision of my calculator, anyway!

If the proportions were less extreme, you'd need to perhaps consider using a weighted mean or else an algebraic expression of some sort for the relative masses.

Thanks I understand, and notably this means my answer will be affected for part e) as part e) relies on part d)

I changed it now and found the time that the activity will reduce to 3 disintegrations per min assuming 11.835... is the initial activity in disintegrations per min

IMG_4658.JPG

1. How do you determine the activity of a carbon 14 sample?

The activity of a carbon 14 sample can be determined through a process called radiometric dating, which measures the amount of radioactive carbon 14 in a sample and compares it to the amount of stable carbon 12. This ratio can then be used to calculate the age of the sample.

2. What equipment is needed to find the activity of a carbon 14 sample?

To find the activity of a carbon 14 sample, you will need a device called a Geiger counter, which measures the amount of radiation emitted by the sample. You will also need a sample of the carbon material, such as bone or wood, and a way to extract the carbon from the sample.

3. How accurate is the process of finding the activity of a carbon 14 sample?

The process of finding the activity of a carbon 14 sample is highly accurate, with a margin of error of only a few hundred years. However, the accuracy can be affected by external factors such as contamination or the presence of other radioactive elements in the sample.

4. Can the activity of a carbon 14 sample be used to determine the age of any object?

No, the activity of a carbon 14 sample can only be used to determine the age of organic materials that were once living, such as bones, wood, or cloth. Inorganic materials, such as rocks or minerals, do not contain carbon and cannot be dated using this method.

5. How is the activity of a carbon 14 sample affected by the half-life of carbon 14?

The activity of a carbon 14 sample is directly related to the half-life of carbon 14, which is approximately 5,730 years. This means that the activity of a sample will decrease by half every 5,730 years, making it less useful for dating older objects. However, this can be compensated for by using other dating methods or by using samples with higher levels of carbon 14 activity.