Finding the Area Enclosed by a Polar Curve

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a question involving integration and polar regions. They mention trying to solve it using a specific method and receiving an incorrect answer. Another person asks why they chose certain limits and suggests drawing a sketch. The first person realizes their mistake and corrects the limits, but expresses concern about the appearance of the solution. The second person encourages them to continue and mentions that the solution may not be aesthetically pleasing but will be correct.
amninder15
Can someone please help me on this question. I tried to solve it by integrating 0.5*(1-3sin(θ)^2 from -Pi/2 to 0 but I didnt get the answer.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
amninder15 said:
Can someone please help me on this question. I tried to solve it by integrating 0.5*(1-3sin(θ)^2 from -Pi/2 to 0 but I didnt get the answer.

Why did you choose ##-\frac \pi 2## to ##0##? Just guessing? Have you drawn a sketch? Do you know what ##\theta## give negative ##r## values for the inner loop?

Yea I made some silly mistake I think It goes from sin^-1(1/3) to Pi-sin^-1(1/3). But that looks ugly. Am I on right path.

Attachments

• Capture22.PNG
    Capture22.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 444
Your graph is correct for ##\theta## varies between 0 and 2pi. Now, generally how do you find the area of a polar region?

amninder15 said:
Yea I made some silly mistake I think It goes from sin^-1(1/3) to Pi-sin^-1(1/3). But that looks ugly. Am I on right path.

Yes. Those are the correct limits. Ugly or not, just plow ahead and you will get one of the answers listed.

Related to Finding the Area Enclosed by a Polar Curve

What is the formula for finding the area enclosed by a polar curve?

The formula for finding the area enclosed by a polar curve is A = 1/2∫ab r2(θ) dθ, where r(θ) is the polar equation of the curve and a and b are the starting and ending values of θ.

How do you graph a polar curve and find the area enclosed by it?

To graph a polar curve, plot points by substituting different values of θ into the polar equation. Then, connect the points to create the shape of the curve. To find the area enclosed by the curve, use the formula A = 1/2∫ab r2(θ) dθ and evaluate the integral using calculus.

What is the difference between positive and negative values for the area enclosed by a polar curve?

A positive value for the area enclosed by a polar curve represents the area inside the curve, while a negative value represents the area outside the curve. This is because the formula for finding the area uses absolute value to ensure a positive result.

Can you find the area enclosed by a polar curve that crosses the origin?

Yes, the formula for finding the area enclosed by a polar curve can still be used if the curve crosses the origin. However, you may need to break the integral into smaller intervals and evaluate them separately to account for the curve crossing the origin.

Are there any other methods for finding the area enclosed by a polar curve?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the area enclosed by a polar curve, such as using Green's Theorem or converting the polar equation to rectangular form and using the formula for finding the area of a region bounded by a curve. However, the integral method is the most commonly used and most straightforward method.