Finding the determinant of a 2nx2n block matrix

In summary: A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D
canas15

Homework Statement

Hey guys, this is a problem in Artin's Algebra book: Just so we're clear, [A/C B/C] is a 2nx2n matrix divided into four blocks, the first row has the (nxn) matrices A and B, and the second row has the (nxn) matrices B and D. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with matrix notation in forums.

Let a 2nx2n matrix be given in the form M=[A/C B/D], where each block is an nxn matrix. Suppose that A is invertible and that AC=CA. Prove that detM=det(AD-CB).

Homework Equations

From the problem above this, we're allowed to assume that det[A/0 B/D]=(detA)*(detD).
Otherwise, standard matrix and determinant formulas apply (including det(AB)=det(A)*det(B))

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor suggested we try to find a matrix B such that M*B=[A/0 B/D], and then use a the above formula to get the value of the determinant. I've been working with that idea for a good amount of time, but can't seem to find a solution other than creating a system of linear matrix equations and trying to solve it, needless of which to say seems to be going nowhere useful. I'm not sure why the commutativity of AC is important either; any suggestions on a good way to approach this proof?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I am a scientist with expertise in algebra and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

First, let me clarify the notation used in the problem. The matrix M=[A/C B/D] can be written in block form as:

M = [A B]
[C D]

where A, B, C, and D are all nxn matrices. This means that the first row of M contains the matrices A and B, and the second row contains the matrices C and D.

Now, let us use the fact that det(AB)=det(A)det(B) to simplify the expression det(AD-CB). We can write this as:

det(AD-CB) = det(A(D-BD^-1C)) = det(A)det(D-BD^-1C)

Next, we can use the given information that AC=CA to rewrite the expression for D-BD^-1C. We can write this as:

D-BD^-1C = D(I-BD^-1C) = D(I-D^-1C^-1B^-1C) = D(I-D^-1C^-1)B = D(I-C^-1B) = D-D(C^-1B)

Substituting this into our expression for det(AD-CB), we get:

det(AD-CB) = det(A)det(D-D(C^-1B)) = det(A)det(D)det(I-C^-1B) = det(A)det(D)det(I-C^-1B) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1) = det(A)det(D)det(I-B)det(C^-1)

1. What is a block matrix?

A block matrix is a matrix that is composed of smaller matrices (called blocks) arranged in a specific way. In a 2nx2n block matrix, there are n blocks along each row and column.

2. How do you find the determinant of a 2nx2n block matrix?

The determinant of a 2nx2n block matrix can be found by using the Block Matrix Determinant Formula, which involves calculating the determinants of the smaller blocks and combining them using addition and subtraction according to their positions in the matrix.

3. Can a 2nx2n block matrix have a determinant of 0?

Yes, a 2nx2n block matrix can have a determinant of 0 if any of the smaller blocks have a determinant of 0. This is because the determinant of the entire matrix is calculated by multiplying the determinants of the smaller blocks together.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the determinant of a 2nx2n block matrix?

No, there are no shortcuts or tricks for finding the determinant of a 2nx2n block matrix. The Block Matrix Determinant Formula must be used to accurately calculate the determinant.

5. Can the Block Matrix Determinant Formula be applied to block matrices with different sized blocks?

No, the Block Matrix Determinant Formula can only be applied to block matrices where all the blocks are of equal size. If the blocks are different sizes, a different method must be used to find the determinant.