Proving CA⁻¹B+D=0 to Demonstrate Rank(A)=Rank([A B])=n

• Thread starter jwqwerty
  • Start date
In summary: I was trying to figure out what was being asked. I don't what "ln" means.In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof involving matrices A, B, C, and D, where A and [A B] both have a rank of n. The goal is to show that if the determinant of D-CA^-1B is 0, then D-CA^-1B must equal 0. However, it is unclear what conditions are being placed on C and D, as they are initially described as arbitrary n×n matrices. The statement about the rank of the full matrix implies that there may be some relationship between C and D, but it is not specified.
jwqwerty
if A B C D are nxn matrices such that rank(A)=rank([A B])=n ([A B] : 2nx2n matrix)
[C D] [C D]

we want to show that D=CA‑¹B (A‑¹: inverse matrix of A)

this is what i have tried:
[In 0] [A B] = [A B ] (here, In refers to identity nxn matrix)
[-CA‑¹ In] [C D] [0 -CA‑¹B+D]

det( [In 0] [A B] ) = det ( [A B ] )

det( [In 0] ) det( [A B] ) = det ([A B ] )

by property of determinant of block matrix,

det(In)det(In)det( [A B] ) = det(A)det(CA‑¹B+D)
[C D]

since A is invertible and [A B] is not invertible, their determinents are not zero and zero respectively
[C D]

Thus, det(CA‑¹B+D)=0

If i can show that CA‑¹B+D=0, then my proof ends.
But i can't show this.

can anyone show that CA‑¹B+D=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. What do you mean by [A B] for example? You said that it's 2n×2n, but not how it's related to A and B. And if it's 2n×2n, then how are you multiplying it by an n×n matrix? ("In" is a very confusing notation by the way).

Fredrik said:
I don't understand the question. What do you mean by [A B] for example? You said that it's 2n×2n, but not how it's related to A and B. And if it's 2n×2n, then how are you multiplying it by an n×n matrix? ("In" is a very confusing notation by the way).
More questions. Maybe I am missing something. I assume that [A B] is just the nx2n matrix adjoining columns of A and B. But what does "[C D] [C D]" in line 2 say about C and D? And why are there other miscellaneous lines of "[C D]" scattered around? And I don't what "ln" means.

FactChecker said:
And I don't what "ln" means.
He explained that one. It's an I, not an l, and In is his notation for the n×n identity matrix.

Ok i have rewritten my question since it looks very confusing

Attachments

• 캡처.JPG
    캡처.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 403
FactChecker said:
More questions. Maybe I am missing something. I assume that [A B] is just the nx2n matrix adjoining columns of A and B. But what does "[C D] [C D]" in line 2 say about C and D? And why are there other miscellaneous lines of "[C D]" scattered around? And I don't what "ln" means.

I have rewritten my question

Attachments

• 333.JPG
    333.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 376
Fredrik said:
He explained that one. It's an I, not an l, and In is his notation for the n×n identity matrix.
I have rewritten my question Fredrik!

Attachments

• 333.JPG
    333.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 379
The calculation looks correct, but I don't understand why you're doing it. You still haven't stated the problem in a way that makes sense. In particular, you haven't said anything to indicate that C and D are anything but arbitrary n×n matrices.

Fredrik said:
The calculation looks correct, but I don't understand why you're doing it. You still haven't stated the problem in a way that makes sense. In particular, you haven't said anything to indicate that C and D are anything but arbitrary n×n matrices.

I want to show that det(D-CA‑¹B )=0 implies D-CA‑¹B=0
But i don't know how. Or are there any other ways?

But you haven't given any conditions on C and D. What if for example ##A=I## and ##B=0##? Then ##D-CA^{-1}B=D##. So you're trying to prove that the arbitrary(?) matrix D is zero.

Fredrik said:
you haven't said anything to indicate that C and D are anything but arbitrary n×n matrices.
The statement that the rank of the full matrix [itex]\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix} A&B\\ C&D \end{smallmatrix}\bigr)[/itex]is the same as the rank of A says something about C and D

P.S. Seems like it takes forever now for the LaTex to be interpreted. It did previews immediately, but it looks like the post will never be converted.

FactChecker said:
The statement that the rank of the full matrix [itex]\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix} A&B\\ C&D \end{smallmatrix}\bigr)[/itex]is the same as the rank of A says something about C and D
The statement in post #1 just says that A and [A B] both have rank n. I don't see a way to interpret the post as saying anything about C or D.

Fredrik said:
The statement in post #1 just says that A and [A B] both have rank n. I don't see a way to interpret the post as saying anything about C or D.
Yes. You have to look at the PDF attachment in a later post to see the correctly formatted problem statement. In the original post, the [C D] was left justified and should have been the lower half of the [A B]. It should have been
[itex]\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix} A&B\\ C&D \end{smallmatrix}\bigr)[/itex]

FactChecker said:
Yes. You have to look at the PDF attachment in a later post to see the correctly formatted problem statement. In the original post, the [C D] was left justified and should have been the lower half of the [A B]. It should have been
[itex]\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix} A&B\\ C&D \end{smallmatrix}\bigr)[/itex]
You mean the JPEG that was attached to three different posts? There's no problem statement in it. There's just a definition of [A B] and some calculations that may or may not be relevant to the problem. It's impossible to tell without a problem statement.

OK, I see now, by quoting post #1, that the OP intended [C D] to be the lower half and [A B] the upper half. So now the only problem is that I've done so much work trying to decode what he meant that I don't want to look at this problem anymore.

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:

you've got any idea on solving the problem?

jwqwerty said:
you've got any idea on solving the problem?
No. My gut feeling is that it is wrong. Saying that the determinant is 0 usually just means that a non-trivial set is mapped to zero. I don't see how to prove that everything is mapped to zero. I have my doubts.

1) I think the concentrating on the determinants is a mistake. It looses too much information. Saying that a determinant is zero is not a strong enough statement to draw the conclusion. I think that the initial conditions imply that C, D, and B are transformations of A, where all the transformations are invertible. I think you should use that in your proof instead of determinants.

2) I also think that there is a sign error. If we define B, C and D as B = C = D = A, doesn't that satisfy the initial conditions? But then we would be trying to prove that CA‑¹B+D = 2A =0. That can't be right. Oh. I see that the original problem was to show that D = CA‑¹B. So that is CA‑¹B - D =0.

1. How do you prove that CA⁻¹B+D=0?

To prove that CA⁻¹B+D=0, we can use the definition of rank. We know that the rank of a matrix is equal to the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in that matrix. So, we can show that the rank of CA⁻¹B+D is equal to n, which is the number of rows in the matrix. This proves that CA⁻¹B+D=0 and demonstrates that the rank of A is equal to the rank of [A B].

2. What is the significance of proving that Rank(A)=Rank([A B])=n?

Proving that Rank(A)=Rank([A B])=n shows that the rank of the matrix [A B] is equal to the number of rows in the matrix. This means that every row in the matrix is linearly independent, which is an important property in linear algebra. It also shows that adding matrix B does not increase the rank of the original matrix A.

3. Can you explain what CA⁻¹B and D represent in this equation?

In the equation CA⁻¹B+D=0, CA⁻¹B represents the product of matrix C and the inverse of matrix A, multiplied by matrix B. This can be thought of as a linear combination of the columns of B, with the coefficients being the corresponding columns of CA⁻¹. D represents a separate matrix that is added to the linear combination of CA⁻¹B.

4. Is there a specific method or algorithm for proving this equation?

There is no specific method or algorithm for proving CA⁻¹B+D=0 to demonstrate Rank(A)=Rank([A B])=n. However, we can use the properties of rank and linear independence to show that the equation is true. It is also important to understand the properties and definitions of matrices and their operations.

5. What are some real-world applications of proving that Rank(A)=Rank([A B])=n?

The concept of rank and linear independence is fundamental in many areas of mathematics and science. In engineering, it is used in control systems and signal processing. In data analysis, it is used in dimensionality reduction techniques. It is also used in economics and finance to analyze linear systems. Understanding and proving the equation Rank(A)=Rank([A B])=n can be useful in a variety of fields where linear algebra is applied.