Finding the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of a quadratic function given its x-intercepts and a point on the graph. The participants discuss using the formula (x-a)(x-b)*K =f(x) to find the equation and how to modify it to satisfy the given conditions. Through trial and error, they reach the solution of multiplying the formula by a constant to make f(5)=8.
ashers
1. Write an equation of the quadratic function f whose graph has x-intercepts 3 and 7 and f(5) = 8.

2. I really don't know where to go from here :frown:

3. obviously, is the x-int. are 3 and 7 that means they are points (3,0) and (7,0). Also, f(5) = 8 becomes the point (5,8) which i have found to be the vertex. But, at this point, I don't know how to form a parabolic equation around those three points. Please help me! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the roots of a quadratic? You're really almost there. x=5 and x=7 are roots of f(x) and you need f(5)=8.Hint:
Think of:

[tex]
(x-a)(x-b)\cdot K =f(x)

[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

i actually have no idea how to move on from there because we haven't learned that formula. I am in CP Pre-calc in high school and the simplest solution would be great. I am not very good at math and this is a review of stuff we learned from september :/

Well if a polynomial f(x) has zeros (let's say 2 in this case, it's a quadratic), then f(x), when factored, could look like: (x-a)(x-b)*K=f(x). We say that a and b are roots of f(x) because they are zeros of the polynomial.

So you had said that (3,0) and (7,0) were solutions to f(x). Do you now see what to do?

Edit: Use the two "x-values" you have as the roots of your quadratic, and then you'll need that f(5)=8...So you will need to modify your polynomial to make it work, in other words you will need to multiply it by a factor K.

Does this help at all?

Last edited:
well i tried multiplying x-3 and x-7 to get the equation and i got x^2 - 10x + 21. but, if you plug in 5 as x it does't equal 8. and also if point (5,8) is the vertex that means the parabola would open downwards, which makes the equation negative. I'm still really confused though :/

ashers said:
well i tried multiplying x-3 and x-7 to get the equation and i got x^2 - 10x + 21. but, if you plug in 5 as x it does't equal 8. and also if point (5,8) is the vertex that means the parabola would open downwards, which makes the equation negative. I'm still really confused though :/

You're almost there. Just find a constant to multiply f(x)=x^2 - 10x + 21 so that f(5)=8.

thanks!

so wait now all i have to do is multiply the entire formula by one constant until f(5)=8?

ashers said:
so wait now all i have to do is multiply the entire formula by one constant until f(5)=8?

Well whatever polynomial f(x) has f(5)=8 must pass through (5,8).

but i still can't seem to figure out how to make X^2 - 10x + 21 pass through (5,8)

With f(x)=x^2 - 10x + 21, what is f(5)?

the answer becomes -4

so should i multiply it out by -2 so that the answer becomes 8?

Just plug in 5 into
f(x) = k(x2 - 10x + 21):
8 = k(5^2 - 10(5) + 21)
... and solve for k.

EDIT: Oops, a little too late. ;)

ashers said:
so should i multiply it out by -2 so that the answer becomes 8?

You got it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I realized i was making a multiplication error early on in the problem and this is why i could not solve it correctly. You're explanation helped so much! thanks again!

Related to Finding the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex

1. How do you find the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex?

To find the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex, you can use the standard form of a quadratic equation: y = ax^2 + bx + c. The x-intercepts represent the roots of the equation, and the vertex can be used to find the value of "a" in the equation.

2. What information is needed to find the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex?

In order to find the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex, you will need the coordinates of the two x-intercepts and the coordinates of the vertex. These points can be used to plug into the standard form of a quadratic equation and solve for the coefficients.

3. Can you find the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex if you do not know the coordinates of the vertex?

No, it is not possible to find the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts without knowing the coordinates of the vertex. The vertex is a crucial point in determining the shape and position of the parabola, and without this information, the equation cannot be accurately determined.

4. Is there a specific method for finding the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex?

Yes, there is a specific method for finding the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex. This method involves using the coordinates of the x-intercepts and the vertex to set up a system of equations and solve for the coefficients in the standard form of a quadratic equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex?

Finding the equation of a parabola with only 2 x-intercepts and the vertex can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model the path of a projectile, the shape of a satellite's orbit, or the profit and cost curves in business. It can also be useful in creating 3D models and animations in computer graphics.