I can really use a hand on finding vertex

In summary, AstralTao is trying to solve for the slandered equation of a parabola that has a vertex axis that satisfies the given condition. He is given the x-intercepts -3 and 5 and the y coordinate of the vertex is 4. He does not know what a "slandered" equation is and is asking for help.
AstralTao

Homework Statement

find the slandered equation of a parabola that has a vertex axis that satisfies the given condition.
X intercepts -3 and 5
Y coordinate 4

Homework Equations

A(x-h)^2+k=y

The Attempt at a Solution

-4(x-1)^2+4

Physics news on Phys.org
AstralTao said:

Homework Statement

find the slandered equation of a parabola that has a vertex axis that satisfies the given condition.
X intercepts -3 and 5
Y coordinate 4

Homework Equations

A(x-h)^2+k=y

-4(x-1)^2+4
I don't know what a "slandered" equation is. Do you mean find the "standard" equation of a parabola?

If you have 3 points, you can make 3 equations, then solve to find the three constants in the parabola equation.

SteamKing said:
I don't know what a "slandered" equation is. Do you mean find the "standard" equation of a parabola?
SteamKing said:
yes I do

AstralTao said:

Homework Statement

X intercepts -3 and 5
Y coordinate 4

Homework Equations

A(x-h)^2+k=y

-4(x-1)^2+4
I don't know what you've done here. Your attempt is not an equation. If you know the x-intercepts of the parabola, can't you deduce the standard form of the parabola's equation from that?

AstralTao said:

Homework Statement

find the slandered standard equation of a parabola that has a vertex axis that satisfies the given condition.
X intercepts -3 and 5
Y coordinate (of the vertex) = 4

Homework Equations

A(x-h)^2+k=y

-4(x-1)^2+4
Hello AstralTao. Welcome to PF !

I have corrected what you posted in the above quote by making my own assumptions.

In your attempt at a solution, what you have given is NOT an equation. I assume you meant y = -4(x-1)2 + 4 . This does not give the correct x-intercepts.

You need to show us how you arrived at that answer, if we are going to be able to help you.

AstralTao said:

Homework Statement

find the slandered standard equation of a parabola that has a vertex axis that satisfies the given condition.
X intercepts -3 and 5
Y coordinate of the vertex is 4
Do you really mean that the vertex axis has x intercepts?

ehild said:
Do you really mean that the vertex axis has x intercepts?
I had taken the original post to mean the parabola with x intercepts -3 and 5, and y intercept 4.
When Sammy said "y coord of vertex" I wondered if it meant that the maximum of the parabola had y coord = 4.
This seems to make the arithmetic simpler (than y intercept = 4) especially using that general form of the parabola equation, so maybe that is what was meant.
I can't remember hearing the term "vertex" used in this context, but it would be a reasonable one to describe the maximum point.
What a "vertex axis" would be, I don't know. Maybe the vertical line of symmetry through the maximum. But then I'd expect to be told its x value, not its y value. It would obviously have one x intercept at (1,0) but no other intercepts, unless we start talking about the vertex axis intercepting the parabola.

Were I answering the question, I'd just state clearly what I took the question to mean and solve that.

If a parabola had x-intercepts a and b, then its equation is of the form y= A(x- a)(x- b) for some number A. You are given the x-intercepts so all you need to do is find the correct value of A. You say "Y coordinate 4"? The y coordinate of what point? Is that the y-intercept, where x= 0, or the y-coordinate of the vertex?

1. What is a vertex in mathematics?

A vertex is a point where two or more lines, curves, or edges meet in a geometric shape. In mathematical terms, it is the highest or lowest point on a parabola or the point where a line segment or angle intersects.

2. How do I find the vertex of a quadratic equation?

The vertex of a quadratic equation in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a. Once you have the x-value, substitute it back into the equation to find the y-value.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the vertex?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a function to find the vertex of a quadratic equation. Look for the "vertex" or "vertex form" option on your calculator.

4. How do I find the vertex of a graph?

To find the vertex of a graph, you can either use the above formula or visually identify the highest or lowest point on the graph, depending on the shape of the graph. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and find the coordinates of the vertex.

5. Does a linear equation have a vertex?

No, a linear equation in the form of y = mx + b does not have a vertex. Only quadratic equations have a vertex.