Finding the Height of a Pot On the Y-Axis

• Thread starter Juan42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, to find the height above the window top that the flower pot goes, we need to find the initial speed at which it appears at the bottom of the window and then calculate how far up it goes in 0.25 seconds. This will give us the extra height added by the pot beyond the top of the window. The equation to use is st - (g/2)t^2 = 2, where g = 9.8 m/s^2 and t = 0.25 s. Once we find s, we can calculate the extra height added by the pot and subtract the window height to get the answer.
Juan42

Homework Statement

A cat spots a flowerpot that sails first up and then down past an open window. The post is in view for a total of 0.50 seconds, and the top-to-bottom height of the window is 2.00 m. How high above the window top does the flower pot go? Answer: 2.34

Homework Equations

y = (1/2)g*t^2 + Vo*t + yo

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's see this is what I did. I tried to combine the known height of the window with the unknown height of the pot and used one of the above to do so.

hp = height of the pot
hw = height of the window

y = (1/2)g*t^2 + Vo*t + yo
hw + hp = (1/2)g*t^2 + Vo*t
2 + hp = (1/2)g*t^2 + 0*t
2 + hp = (1/2)(9.8)(0.50^2)
hp = (4.9)(0.25)

It's obvious that is wrong. I think I need to find it's initial velocity since it was already moving, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can ignore the height of the pot.

Call the initial speed of the pot when it appears at the bottom of the window s. It will reach the top of the window after t = 0.25 seconds. Can you see why s must satisfy this equation:

st - (g/2)t2 = 2

g = 9.8 m/s2

t = 0.25 s

Solve for s.

Last edited:
Oh. I see. I just need to know the extra height added by the pot once it goes past the window, and not of the pot itself. I'm not 100% clear yet as to why t = 0.25 s, but I think it's because you're accounting for half of what is going on. Thanks, by the way.

The time 0.5 seconds is the total time that that the pot is in view, which is made up of both the time it is in view when it is going up and also the time it is in view when it is going down. One can show that these must be equal, so each time it will be in view for 0.25 seconds.

Once you find the initial speed s, you can calculate how far up it goes, and then subtract the height of the window from that to find out how far beyond the top of the window it goes.

Last edited:

First of all, great job attempting to use the equation for projectile motion to solve this problem! However, there are a few things that need to be addressed in your solution.

1. The equation you used, y = (1/2)g*t^2 + Vo*t + yo, is actually the equation for the vertical position of a projectile launched from the ground with an initial velocity, Vo. In this problem, the flowerpot is not launched from the ground, so we cannot use this equation directly.

2. In order to use the equation for projectile motion, we need to know the initial velocity of the flowerpot. This information is not given in the problem, so we cannot solve for the height using this method.

3. Instead, we can use the known height of the window and the time the flowerpot was in view to calculate the average velocity of the flowerpot. Then, we can use this average velocity in the equation y = Vo*t + yo to solve for the height of the flowerpot.

4. Using this method, we get the following equation:

hw = Vo*t + yo

Solving for the height of the flowerpot, we get:

hp = hw - yo = 2.00 m - 0 m = 2.00 m

Therefore, the height of the flowerpot is 2.00 m above the top of the window.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

What is the purpose of finding the height of a pot on the Y-axis?

The height of a pot on the Y-axis is commonly used in agriculture and gardening to determine the size and growth of plants. It can also be used to measure the effectiveness of watering and fertilization techniques.

How do you measure the height of a pot on the Y-axis?

To measure the height of a pot on the Y-axis, place a ruler or measuring tape at the base of the pot and extend it vertically to the top of the pot. Make sure the measurement is taken from the center of the pot for accuracy.

Why is it important to find the height of a pot on the Y-axis?

Finding the height of a pot on the Y-axis is important for several reasons. It allows for accurate monitoring and tracking of plant growth, which is essential for maintaining healthy plants. It also helps in determining the appropriate pot size and spacing for plants.

What factors can affect the height of a pot on the Y-axis?

The height of a pot on the Y-axis can be affected by various factors such as the type of soil, amount of sunlight, temperature, and water availability. Different plants also have different growth rates and may vary in height.

Is there a standard measurement unit for the height of a pot on the Y-axis?

The height of a pot on the Y-axis is typically measured in inches or centimeters. However, some gardeners may use other units such as feet or meters. It is important to use a consistent unit of measurement for accurate comparisons.