Finding the homogenous solution of Var.Coeff. 2nd Order ODE

In summary: What do you get?In summary, the conversation is about finding the possible values of a for the given ODE and calculating the solution for y(x) so that its limit as x approaches negative infinity is contained within a finite set and is continuous in that set. The possible values of a are 0 or 1. The process of finding the homogenous solution involves using the principle of superposition and yields two seemingly contradictory equations. However, the solutions are not correct and there is no contradiction. The principle of superposition is not valid for finding the homogenous solution in this case since alpha is a function. Additionally, 2 is not a solution of the homogeneous equation.
dumbdumNotSmart
It's been too long guys. I've given this ODE lots of thought and still no cigar.

Homework Statement

We are given the following ODE:
$$ (x-a)y''-xy'+a^2y = a(x-1)^2e^x $$
and knowing that y=e^x is a solution to the homogenous equation, find the possible values of a.

Next part: Using the obtained values, calculate the solution (y(x)) so that it's limit as x→ -∞ is contained within a finite set.
(Also, let the solution be continuous in said set)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I replaced the known base of the homogenous solution in the equation. I got that a can be either 0 or 1.

From here I investigate for the case if a=1
Knowing a base of the homogenous solution, I set out to find the missing one knowing a ODE of order 2 has 2 bases for the Homogenous solution. The way I tried to find it was writing it in the form of y2=α(x)ex deriving it 2 times, then replacing each expression in it's respective place in the homogenous ODE. Using the principle of superposition I rearranged the resulting expression as follows:

$$ e^x \left( x(\alpha ''+\alpha ' )-( \alpha '' +2\alpha ') \right)=0 $$

Where α is an unknown function. From here we get two seemingly contradictory equations, one points to α being e-x and the other to e-2x, each giving me a different base of the homogenous equation. This cannot be, I must be doing something wrong. But what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dumbdumNotSmart said:

Homework Statement

We are given the following ODE:
$$ (x-a)y''-xy'+a^2y = a(x-1)^2e^x $$
and knowing that y=e^x is a solution to the homogenous equation, find the possible values of a.

Next part: Using the obtained values, calculate the solution (y(x)) so that it's limit as x→ -∞ is contained within a finite set.
(Also, let the solution be continuous in said set)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I replaced the known base of the homogenous solution in the equation. I got that a can be either 0 or 1.

From here I investigate for the case if a=1
Knowing a base of the homogenous solution, I set out to find the missing one knowing a ODE of order 2 has 2 bases for the Homogenous solution. The way I tried to find it was writing it in the form of y2=α(x)ex deriving it 2 times, then replacing each expression in it's respective place in the homogenous ODE. Using the principle of superposition I rearranged the resulting expression as follows:

$$ e^x \left( x(\alpha ''+\alpha ' )-( \alpha '' +2\alpha ') \right)=0 $$

Where α is an unknown function.

e^x is never zero, so you have the de for α(x) : α''(x-1)+α'(x-2)=0 Solve for α' first, then integrate to get α(x).

dumbdumNotSmart said:
From here we get two seemingly contradictory equations, one points to α being e-x and the other to e-2x, each giving me a different base of the homogenous equation. This cannot be, I must be doing something wrong. But what?
Your solutions are not correct. There is no contradiction.

I redid my calculations. Principle of superposition is not valid for findibg the homogenous since alpha is a function. Still confused on one point. If the homogenous solution I get is a sum of x and 2, its like you have two bases on top of what they gave you. Did I do something wrong?

dumbdumNotSmart said:
I redid my calculations. Principle of superposition is not valid for findibg the homogenous since alpha is a function. Still confused on one point. If the homogenous solution I get is a sum of x and 2, its like you have two bases on top of what they gave you. Did I do something wrong?
2 is not solution of the homogeneous equation. Have you plugged in y=2?

1. What is a homogenous solution?

A homogenous solution is a solution to a differential equation that satisfies the equation when all the terms are set to zero. In other words, it is a solution that makes the equation "homogenous" by removing any non-zero terms.

2. What does "var.coeff." mean in the context of a 2nd order ODE?

"Var.coeff." stands for "variable coefficients" and refers to the fact that the coefficients in the differential equation are not constant, but instead can change with respect to the independent variable.

3. Why is finding the homogenous solution important?

Finding the homogenous solution is important because it allows us to find the general solution to a differential equation. This general solution can then be used to solve specific initial value problems.

4. How do you find the homogenous solution of a 2nd order ODE?

To find the homogenous solution of a 2nd order ODE with variable coefficients, we first set all the coefficients to zero to make the equation homogenous. Then, we solve for the dependent variable using standard techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters.

5. Can the homogenous solution be used to solve non-homogeneous 2nd order ODEs?

No, the homogenous solution can only be used to solve homogenous 2nd order ODEs. To solve non-homogeneous 2nd order ODEs, we need to find both the homogenous and particular solutions, and then combine them to get the general solution.