Finding the Interest Rate Needed for a Bank Deposit to Double in 8 Years

In summary, to find the rate of interest, compounded continuously, that will double a bank deposit in 8 years, you can use the formula Q0e8r=2Q0. From there, you can solve for r and get the answer of (25/2)ln(2)%. However, it is important to remember to check for units and do a quick calculation to ensure accuracy.
Math10

Homework Statement

At what rate of interest, compounded continuously, will a bank deposit double in value in 8 years?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Q0e8r=2Q0
e8r=2
8r=ln(2)
r=ln(2)/8
But the answer is (25/2)ln(2)%. How do I get the answer from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

At what rate of interest, compounded continuously, will a bank deposit double in value in 8 years?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Q0e8r=2Q0
e8r=2
8r=ln(2)
r=ln(2)/8
But the answer is (25/2)ln(2)%. How do I get the answer from there?

Be careful about units.

Likes Math10
Thank you for reminding me about units. I got it! Thanks a lot!

MY father pointed out that doubling of principal occurs - approx 72 / Rate ... while not accurate enough for an answer, a quick check of you are in the ball park... 9 vs 8.66

Related to Finding the Interest Rate Needed for a Bank Deposit to Double in 8 Years

1. What is the current interest rate?

The current interest rate varies depending on the type of loan or investment. For example, the current interest rate for a mortgage may be different from the interest rate for a savings account. It is important to research and compare interest rates from different lenders or institutions before making a financial decision.

2. How is the interest rate determined?

The interest rate is determined by several factors, including the current market conditions, inflation, and the lender's or institution's policies. The Federal Reserve also plays a role in setting interest rates, as they adjust the federal funds rate which impacts other interest rates.

3. What is the difference between fixed and variable interest rates?

A fixed interest rate remains the same throughout the loan or investment period, while a variable interest rate can fluctuate based on market conditions. Fixed rates offer stability and predictability, while variable rates can provide potential for higher returns but also carry more risk.

4. How does the interest rate affect my payments?

The interest rate directly affects the amount of interest you will pay on a loan or earn on an investment. A higher interest rate means you will pay more in interest on a loan, while a higher interest rate on an investment will result in higher returns. It is important to consider the interest rate when budgeting and planning for financial goals.

5. Can the interest rate change over time?

Yes, the interest rate can change over time. For example, if you have a variable interest rate, it can fluctuate based on market conditions. With a fixed interest rate, it will remain the same throughout the loan or investment period, but you may be able to refinance or renegotiate the terms to change the interest rate. It is important to stay informed about changes in interest rates and how they may impact your finances.