Finding the magnetic field strength

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field strength at the origin based on a given current and location of the unit vector in the y direction. The solution involves using Amperes law and the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance from the origin, resulting in a magnetic field strength of 5*10^-7 T. The correct distance from the origin is found by using the formula r = √(x^2+z^2).
johndough999

Homework Statement

There exists a current of 5A in the ay direction at x=2m,z=-2m where the ay is the unit vector in the y direction. Find the magnetic field strength at the origin.

Homework Equations

B = (μI/2πR) * r
B = μH

The Attempt at a Solution

B = (μI/2πr)
B= (4π*10^-7)(5)/2π(2)
where r is the distance from origin, in this case r=2m.
B=5*10^-7 T

I believe I am not finding the correct distance from the origin.Not using the z axis at all.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Amperes law:

Cirkulation Hds = N * I →

H = I / (2πr)

r = √(22+22) (pythagoras).

You should not find B, as it is the magnetic induction (flux-density).

Last edited:
Likes johndough999
Hi Hesch, to find the distance from the origin are you using the following formula?
√ X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2

No, I'm using r = √(x2+z2)

Plot the locations of the conductor and the origin in the plane: y = 0.

Thanks for the help hesch!

1. What is magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength is a measure of the force that a magnetic field exerts on a charged particle. It is also known as magnetic flux density and is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect the presence and strength of a magnetic field and display it in units of tesla or gauss.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the source of the field, the size and shape of the magnet, and the type of material the magnet is made of.

4. Why is it important to find the magnetic field strength?

Knowing the magnetic field strength is important in many scientific and technological applications. It helps us understand how magnets work and how they interact with other objects, and it is also crucial in the design of electrical devices and systems.

5. How does the Earth's magnetic field strength vary?

The Earth's magnetic field strength varies depending on location and time. It is strongest at the poles and weakest at the equator. Additionally, the strength of the Earth's magnetic field has been gradually decreasing over time.