Finding the Mass of a Meter Stick Using Torque Equations

In summary, the problem can be solved by considering the three sources of torque (the added mass, the meterstick itself, and the fulcrum) and equating them to zero. By choosing the fulcrum as the reference point for calculating torques, the clockwise and counter-clockwise torques can be compared in order to solve for the mass of the meterstick.
hiddenlife5009

Homework Statement

A metre stick is found to balance at the 49.5cm mark when placed on a fulcrum. When a 47.7 gram mass is attached at the 1.5cm mark, the fulcrum must be moved to the 38.6cm mark for balance. What is the mass (in grams) of the metre stick.

Homework Equations

Torque = Force x Distance

F = ma (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, well, I thought the torque equation would be good for this, but then again, what is the point of finding torque, when I can't use it to find the mass? Or can I?

I was thinking about finding Force (0.0477 x 9.8), but that just leaves me with Force.

Am I going completely wrong about this question or am I on the right track? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The total torque about any point- for example, the left end of the meter stick, must be 0. And you certainly can "use it to find mass" since it involves mass!

There are three sources of torque here- the 47.7 gram mass, the meterstick itself, and the fulcrum.

Since I am calculating torque around the left end of the meter stick, and the force due to the 47.7 gram mass is downward, the torque due to it is clockwise which I will take to be negative: that torque is -47.7g(1.5)= -71.55g dyne-cm.

If we let m be the mass of the meter stick, its downward force is -mg and again the torque is negative. Since we are told that its center of mass is at 49.5 cm, that torque is -(49.5)mg.

Finally, in order to support the meterstick, the fulcrum must be pushing upward (positive force) equal to the total weight of the meterstick and added mass: g(47.7+ m) and is applied at distance 36.6 cm from the left end. The torque from that is 36.6g(47.7+ m) dyne-cm.

All those must total 0: -71.55g- 49.5mg= 36.6g(47.7+ m). Solve that equation for m (of course, "g" cancels easily).

Ok, thanks for the very descriptive reply, but could you explain a couple things. First of all, what is it meant by the term 'dyne-cm'? Also, when you talk about for example, '-(49.5)mg', that's force right? You also say 36.6cm from the left end, do you mean 38.6?

Edit: Sorry, but I have completely lost myself. I can understand the concept that the force downwards has to equal the force upwards, but the equation is just messing me up.

Last edited:
hiddenlife5009 said:
First of all, what is it meant by the term 'dyne-cm'?
A dyne is a unit of force, so a dyne-cm is a unit of torque.
Also, when you talk about for example, '-(49.5)mg', that's force right?
No, that's a force times distance and thus a torque.
You also say 36.6cm from the left end, do you mean 38.6?
I'm sure that's just a typo.

You might find the equations easier to understand if you always choose the fulcrum as your reference point for calculating torques. When the fulcrum is at the 38.6cm mark, compare clockwise and counter-clockwise torques. (What torque-producing forces act on the meterstick? At what distance from the fulcrum does each force act?)

1. What is a torque meter stick?

A torque meter stick is a tool used to measure the amount of torque, or twisting force, applied to an object. It typically consists of a long, thin stick with a scale marked in units of torque.

2. How does a torque meter stick work?

A torque meter stick works by measuring the amount of deflection or bend in the stick caused by the torque applied to it. The more torque that is applied, the greater the deflection of the stick, which can be read on the scale to determine the amount of torque.

3. What are some common uses for a torque meter stick?

A torque meter stick is commonly used in engineering and mechanics to measure the amount of torque applied to bolts, screws, and other fasteners. It can also be used in physics experiments to measure the torque of rotating objects.

4. Are there different types of torque meter sticks?

Yes, there are different types of torque meter sticks, including digital and analog versions. Some are designed for specific applications, such as measuring small torques in delicate objects, while others are more versatile and can measure a wide range of torques.

5. How accurate are torque meter sticks?

The accuracy of a torque meter stick depends on the quality of the tool and the skill of the user. However, most torque meter sticks have a high level of accuracy and can measure torques with a precision of up to 0.1 Nm.