Finding the Maximum Positive Transverse Velocity of a Transverse Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first positive x-coordinate for which the transverse velocity of a point in a medium is at its maximum positive value when t=0, with the equation y=0.02 sin(30x-400t) and v = 0.6 cos(30x). After differentiating and equating to the maximum velocity of 0.6, a mistake was made in the equation, but it was later corrected to obtain the correct solution. The final equation is 8=8cos(30x) and the solution is x=0.209.
sugz

Homework Statement

A transverse wave is described by y=0.02 sin(30x-400t). Determine the first positive x-coordinate (x>0) for which the transverse velocity of that point in the medium is at its maximum positive value when t=0. All variables are in SI units.

a) 5.2 cm b) 10.4cm c) 15.7 cm d.20.9 e) none of the above.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the derivative of the position equation to get the equation of velocity, at t=0 which is v = 0.6 cos(30x). I equated it to max velocity which is 0.6, therefore getting 1=cos(30x). arcos(1) is 2pi, which I later divided by 30 to get 0.209.
Where did I make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
sugz said:
y=0.02 sin(30x-400t)
v = 0.6 cos(30x)
Double check your differentiation. Is this the correct dy/dt?

Edit: p.s. arccos(1) is 0 but that's not relevant.

I assumed we would be differentiating in terms of x, how do we know which variable we are differentiating in terms of?

sugz said:
I assumed we would be differentiating in terms of x, how do we know which variable we are differentiating in terms of?
The definition of velocity is the derivative with respect to time.

Oh right, my mistake. Also, even if I were to differentiate with respect to time, the equation obtained is y= 8 cos(30x-400t) and I plug in the value of t=0, getting the equation of y= 8 cos(30x). The position when the velocity is at maximum positive velocity, which is 8. Therefore you get the equation 8=8cos(30x). I will still get the same results, no?

sugz said:
Oh right, my mistake. Also, even if I were to differentiate with respect to time, the equation obtained is y= 8 cos(30x-400t)
That's not quite the right equation. You're missing a factor of negative 1, aren't you?

Oh right, now I see where I made a mistake! Thank you so much!

What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave where the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. This means that the particles move up and down or side to side, while the wave moves forward. Examples of transverse waves include light waves, water waves, and seismic S waves.

How is the position of a transverse wave measured?

The position of a transverse wave is measured by its displacement from the equilibrium or rest position. This can be measured using a ruler or other measuring tool, and is typically given in units of meters.

What factors affect the position of a transverse wave?

The position of a transverse wave can be affected by several factors, including the frequency and wavelength of the wave, the medium through which it is propagating, and any obstacles or boundaries it encounters. In addition, changes in temperature, pressure, and density of the medium can also impact the position of the wave.

How is the position of a transverse wave represented graphically?

The position of a transverse wave can be represented graphically using a displacement vs. distance graph. The displacement is measured on the y-axis, while the distance traveled by the wave is measured on the x-axis. The shape of the graph will depend on the type of wave and its characteristics.

How does the position of a transverse wave relate to its energy?

The position of a transverse wave is directly related to its energy. As the wave moves further away from its equilibrium position, the amplitude or displacement increases, which also increases the energy of the wave. This means that waves with larger amplitudes will have more energy than waves with smaller amplitudes.