Finding the maximum volume of a cone

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of optimizing the volume of a cone made out of a circular piece of paper with a radius of 5 inches. Different formulas and techniques are explored to find the maximum volume, including the use of calculus and the AM-GM method. The final solution is found to be a central angle of 293.939 degrees.
physjeff12

Homework Statement

In England, you can purchase fish and chips for a reasonable price. The reason it is so reasonable is because they give you no silverware, nor a plate. They just roll up a piece of paper in a cone and toss your food in. The vendors need to roll the cone in a perfect size, not too fat nor too skinny. Find out how to optimize the volume of the cone. For modeling purposes, assume that the piece of paper is a circle of radius 5 inches, and that we are cutting a wedge out of it whose central angle is Θ. Find the maximum volume of this cone.

Homework Equations

A = 2πr

i need to find out a formula to subtract the cut out wedge of the circle from the rest of the circle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck trying to find a main formula. I would think that after i get that formula, i find the derivative and then set it equal to zero, and solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equation is irrelevant. That's not the area of a circle; it's the circumference. Some actually relevant equations that you should look up are the area of a circle, the volume of a cone, and the area of a sector of a circle. See if you can find those in your textbook.

Last edited:
ok, i found out the volume forumula
i divided the cone into 2 right triangles, using 5 as the hypotenuse, and r as the radius of the base of the cone.

so i have

V = (1/3)(pi)(square root of 25 - x squared)(x squared)

i am working on finding the derivative but there is so much work with the product rule, chain rule, and quotient rule, i think i may have screwed up somewhere

so far i am at,

dV/dx = [(1/3)(pi)][(1/2)(25-x^2)^(-1/2) *-2x] * 2x + x^2 * (derivative of first part)

Last edited:
physjeff12 said:
ok, i found out the volume forumula
i divided the cone into 2 right triangles, using 5 as the hypotenuse, and r as the radius of the base of the cone.
This really doesn't make any sense. A cone is a 3D object. How can you divide it up into two triangles, which are 2D objects.
physjeff12 said:
so i have

i am working on finding the derivative but there is so much work with the product rule, chain rule, and quotient rule, i think i may have screwed up somewhere

You're jumping into this problem without setting yourself up with the formulas you need. The volume of a right circular cone (what you're dealing with) is V = 1/3 * pi * r^2 * h. That's one of your relevant formulas.

Another one is the area of a sector of a circle, sort of like a wedge of pie of any size. This formula is A = (1/2)[itex]\theta r^2[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is measured in radians.

V = 1/3 * pi * r^2 * h

thats what i had, but i substituted in h in terms of x but using pythagorean.

x^2 + h^2 = 5 ^2

h^2 = 25 - x^2
h = square root of (25 - x^2)

http://z.about.com/d/math/1/5/t/L/conerr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with the picture, this formula still doesn't make any sense. You used 5 for the radius. What does x represent? What does sqrt(25 - x^2) represent?
physjeff12 said:

You're also not taking into account that the circular piece of paper has a wedge cut out of it.

Mark44 said:
Even with the picture, this formula still doesn't make any sense. You used 5 for the radius. What does x represent? What does sqrt(25 - x^2) represent?

You're also not taking into account that the circular piece of paper has a wedge cut out of it.

the sqrt(25 - x^2) represented h. x represented the radius (r in the picture). 5 represented the S on the picture.

i thought the A = (1/2)theta r^2 would be irrelevant because I'm trying to find volume, not area?

OK, now it makes sense. It would have helped me understand better if you had explained what your were doing to get the formula you showed.

The 5 dimension in the drawing is what is called the slant height of the cone. Here's your formula again, this time with r instead of x. r matches your diagram and suggests what it represents, the radius of the cone.

[tex]V(r)~=~(1/3)\pi r^2(25 - r^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

Now you want to take the derivative. You'll need to use the product rule and then the chain rule, in that order.

ok cool.so v'(r) = (1/3)pi(r^2)*(-1/(2*sqrt(25 - x^2)) + [(25-r^2)^(1/2)]*[(2/3)*pi*r]

correct?

No. In the chain rule, you forgot the factor that comes from d/dr(25 - r^2). Also, since V is now a function of r, then V'(r) shouldn't have any x's floating around in it.

Ok so if you don't want to use calculus you can AM-GM it.
So the volume of the cone would be pi(r^2)h/3.
Arc length=circumference of cone=theta/360*10pi
so the radius of the cone=(theta/360*10pi)/2pi = theta/72
the slant height of the cone is 5 so the height is sqrt(25-(theta/72)^2)
so the volume of the cone is pi(theta/72)^2*sqrt(25-(theta/72)^2)/3
now all we have to do is find the maximum of this equation
we can get rid of the /3 and pi because those are constant
if we let x=(theta/72)^2 then the formula becomes (x)sqrt(25-x)
much simpler, eh?
this formula is maximized when (x^2)(25-x) is maximized (for obvious reasons)
so now we can use AM-GM on the formula (x^2)(50-2x), which is maximized when the three terms are closest to each other
so we let x=x=50-2x and 50/3
going back to what we defined x to be, x=50/3=(theta/72)^2
theta=293.939 degrees and you're done!

Related to Finding the maximum volume of a cone

What is the formula for finding the maximum volume of a cone?

The formula for finding the maximum volume of a cone is V = (1/3)πr^2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cone.

What is the process for finding the maximum volume of a cone?

The process for finding the maximum volume of a cone involves determining the radius and height of the cone, plugging those values into the formula V = (1/3)πr^2h, and solving for V.

Can the maximum volume of a cone be negative?

No, the maximum volume of a cone cannot be negative. It represents the largest possible volume that can be contained within a cone, which is always a positive value.

What factors affect the maximum volume of a cone?

The maximum volume of a cone is affected by the radius and height of the cone. The larger these values are, the larger the maximum volume will be.

How is the maximum volume of a cone used in real life?

The maximum volume of a cone is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a cone-shaped container or determining the maximum amount of liquid that can be held in a cone-shaped tank. It is also used in mathematical and scientific calculations.