Ice Cream Cone Challenges (New)

• Thread starter AlexGmu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone Ice
In summary: For the first problem:2 \pi r = 2 \pi R * (t /2\pi) = tRFor the second problem:2(pi)r = 2(pi)R * (s / [2(pi)])= rs
AlexGmu
Suppose you wanted to make an ice cream cone that would hold as much ice cream as possible (do not assume ice cream comes in spheres).

Challenge I
Cut a wedge from a circle and remove it. From the remaining piece of the circle into a cone. Find the angle of the wedge that produces the cone with the greatest volume.

Challenge II
You can make a second cone from the removed wedge. Find a formula for the volume of this second cone in terms of theta, the angle of the wedge. Find the angle of the wedge that produces the maximum total value of the two cones.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice challenges, so how would you begin?

Let the radius of the circle be R, and the angle, after removing the wedge, be t radians.
Let the radius of the cone be r.
Let the height of the cone be h.
Let the volume of the cone be V.

2(pi)r = 2(pi)R * (t / [2(pi)])
r^2 + h^2 = R^2
V = (1/3)(pi)(r^2)hSolve each equation for a single variable, and substitute accordingly, into the equation for Volume, and then derive the Volume equation. Then, take the derivative of that equation and set it to zero.

For Challenge Two:
Let the radius of the circle be R, and the angle of the wedge be s radians.

Solve for variables s and R, plug into the Volume equation, and solve, finding the wedge angle that produces the maximum total volume of the two cones.

Well I haven't verified the work or anything, but was this an actual challenge to us? I thought you were trying to get us to do your homework. Sorry!

I'm not. This was a challenge posed to me, by my calc teacher. I need some help, and decided to come here. Please understand that this isn't homework, it's not even extra credit, it's just a challenging problem.

I could really use some help, if you, or anyone, could offer it.

AlexGmu said:
Let the radius of the circle be R, and the angle, after removing the wedge, be t radians.

2(pi)r = 2(pi)R * (t / [2(pi)])

I don't know if you already had to answer these or whether they were given to you to work on over holiday break. I would ask whether you understand what each of these equations represents and also to ask you to start with a picture of how the cones are constructed from these pieces of the original circular disk.

I ask this because, for the first problem, I already see a difficulty with this first equation. You will be interested in the circumferences of the circular bases of the two cones in order to find the radii of their bases. However, I believe what you have here,

[tex]2 \pi r = 2 \pi R · (t /2\pi) = tR[/tex] ,

gives the base circumference for the cone in the second problem. What will be the circumference of the base then for the first cone?

1. What is an ice cream cone challenge?

An ice cream cone challenge is a fun and creative way to eat ice cream. It involves stacking as many scoops of ice cream as possible onto a single cone without it toppling over. It can also refer to various challenges involving ice cream cones, such as speed eating or blindfolded taste tests.

2. How do you participate in an ice cream cone challenge?

To participate in an ice cream cone challenge, you will need a cone and your preferred flavor(s) of ice cream. Start by scooping the ice cream onto the cone, being careful to balance and stack the scoops. You can use your hands or utensils, but no additional support or adhesive is allowed. Once you have completed your stack, you can either eat it or try to add more scoops for a higher challenge.

3. What are some tips for successfully completing an ice cream cone challenge?

Some tips for successfully completing an ice cream cone challenge include starting with a sturdy cone, using firm and evenly shaped scoops of ice cream, and stacking the scoops in a pyramid shape. It may also be helpful to slightly melt the bottom of the scoops to create a stronger bond between the ice cream and cone. Don't be afraid to get creative and try different techniques!

4. Are there any safety concerns with ice cream cone challenges?

As with any food-related challenge, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind when participating in an ice cream cone challenge. Be cautious of any potential food allergies or sensitivities, and make sure to use clean and safe ingredients. Additionally, take care when stacking the scoops to avoid any accidents or spills.

5. Can you make the ice cream cone challenge more challenging?

Yes, you can make the ice cream cone challenge more challenging by setting a time limit, using smaller cones, or adding obstacles such as blindfolds or using only one hand. You can also try to build the tallest or most creative stack of scoops for an added twist. The possibilities are endless!