Finding the median in a bar graph problem

In summary, the median is the number of children a woman in the sample has. It is not the same as the mode, which is the value of children that the most women have.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
consider the attached graph. Answer the questions that follow.
Relevant Equations
bar graph
1606692552583.png

i do not understand the language used in part a, otherwise i would indicate the number of children the women have in order as ##1,2,3,4,5## and ##6##
now for part b) this is where i have a problem. To find the median assumably for the number of children, we have to find the total number of children which is ##108##, divide that by ##2## we get 54th item as our median which equates to ##4## is this correct?
now for part c) i do not understand the statement, or rather what they want...

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a sample of women and the value of each data sample is the number of children that woman has.
b) To find the median, find the woman with half the women having fewer children. Then determine how many children she had.
c) To determine the mode, look for the value (of children) with the most women. That is the mode.

For part a, I don't know exactly what they are asking for either, but I think they want you to write down the number of children each woman has, with one entry for each woman. So this would be 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2...
For part b, no you didn't do this correctly. You should take the total number of women, not the total number of children. How many women are in the sample?
For part c, do you know what the mode is? If not, you should be able to look this up.

so the median is in reference to the women and not children? the total number of women is ##36## implying that the median value will be the 18th item which equates to ##7## is this correct?

Yes. The question is asking for the median number of chidren a woman in the sample has.

and the mode therefore is ##12## right

chwala said:
so the median is in reference to the women and not children? the total number of women is ##36## implying that the median value will be the 18th item which equates to ##7## is this correct?
No! Try completing part a correctly. Then count to the 18th entry in your list.

phyzguy said:
No! Try completing part a correctly. Then count to the 18th entry in your list.

am not getting what you are saying...the women are ##36##, or am i missing something?

chwala said:
To find the median, find the woman where half the women have fewer children and half the women have more children. The median is the number of children that she has. It would be the 18th sample (woman) when put in order of the number of children that they have. How many children does the 18th sample have? (There are no women with 7 children, so that is wrong.)

Last edited:
chwala said:
and the mode therefore is ##12## right
No. The mode is the value of children that the most women have. No woman has 12 children so how could that be the mode?

chwala said:
am not getting what you are saying...the women are ##36##, or am i missing something?
Yes, you are missing something. Again, start with answering question a corectly, as I told you earlier.

the language of the question is confusing to me lol, ok then the median will be ##3## and the mode will be##2## correct?

That is right.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
the language of the question is confusing to me lol, ok then the median will be ##3## and the mode will be##2## correct?
Yes! Good. Bar graphs like this are confusing at first, but I think you get it now.

phyzguy said:
Yes! Good. Bar graphs like this are confusing at first, but I think you get it now.

Thanks phyzguy, now for part c) is the median the same as the mode...what does the statement mean? the answer would be no, i guess following from part b, right?

Well, if the median is 3 and the mode is 2, as you said, then they are not the same, right?

phyzguy said:
Well, if the median is 3 and the mode is 2, as you said, then they are not the same, right?

:cool: cheers ...

@chwala I think what they are asking you to do in (a) is to write down for each woman in the club, the number of children she has. So they want you to write down 36 numbers, sorted from lowest to highest. From the graph you can see that first you need to write down five 1s, then twelve 2s, and so on.

Then, to find the median, you just take the average of the 18th and 19th numbers in that list.

You don't need to do all that to find the median, is the answer to (b). But I think they want you to do it that way rather than via a short cut, to reinforce the meaning of median. That's why they ask you to do (a) as well as (b).

andrewkirk said:
@chwala I think what they are asking you to do in (a) is to write down for each woman in the club, the number of children she has. So they want you to write down 36 numbers, sorted from lowest to highest. From the graph you can see that first you need to write down five 1s, then twelve 2s, and so on.

Then, to find the median, you just take the average of the 18th and 19th numbers in that list.

You don't need to do all that to find the median, is the answer to (b). But I think they want you to do it that way rather than via a short cut, to reinforce the meaning of median. That's why they ask you to do (a) as well as (b).

Thanks mate...its now clear to me ...cheers.

1. What is the median in a bar graph?

The median in a bar graph is the middle value in a set of data when the values are arranged in ascending or descending order. It represents the point where half of the data values are above and half are below.

2. How do you find the median in a bar graph?

To find the median in a bar graph, first arrange the data values in ascending or descending order. Then, find the middle value in the set. If there is an even number of data values, take the average of the two middle values to find the median.

3. What if there is an outlier in the data set?

If there is an outlier in the data set, it may affect the median value. In this case, it is important to consider the overall distribution of the data and whether the outlier is a valid data point. If it is a valid data point, it should be included in the calculation of the median. If it is not a valid data point, it should be removed before finding the median.

4. Can the median be the same as the mean in a bar graph?

Yes, the median and mean can be the same in a bar graph if the data is symmetrically distributed. This means that the data is evenly distributed around the middle value, resulting in the same value for both the median and the mean.

5. How is the median useful in interpreting data in a bar graph?

The median is useful in interpreting data in a bar graph because it provides a measure of central tendency that is less affected by extreme values or outliers. It can give a better representation of the typical value in a set of data, especially when the data is skewed or not normally distributed.