Finding the ODE that describes this circuit + find its transfer function

In summary, the conversation discusses using KCL and mesh current methods to find the 2nd order ODE for a circuit and how to reconcile issues with finding an expression for the node voltage at A. The solution involves assigning Laplace transforms to components and using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to find the transfer function.
rugerts
Homework Statement
Find ODE that describes circuit in terms of capacitor voltage + find its transfer function (Vc/Vs)
Relevant Equations
Ohm's Law; Kirchhoff's Current Law and Voltage Law; Voltage across inductor; Current through
capacitor
IMG-1989.JPG
IMG-1990.JPG

As you can see, I've tried using KCL at node A to find the 2nd order ODE that describes this circuit in terms of the capacitor voltage. The problem I run into, however, is that I can't find anything to put the node voltage at A in terms of. I've tried (not shown here) doing mesh current as well, but ran into similar problems. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm certain that after this I'll be able to find the transfer function by applying a Laplace transform since the initial conditions are 0 to make things simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
rude man said:
2nd eq. for i1 is wrong (polarity).
Then substitute until you have VC = VC(VS).
Does this reconcile the issue that I can't find an expression for Va? Also, could you expand on why i1 would be wrong in terms of polarity?

rugerts said:
Does this reconcile the issue that I can't find an expression for Va?
Probably not.
Also, could you expand on why i1 would be wrong in terms of polarity?
If current flows from A to B then A is higher in voltage than B.

The way I would approach this problem is:
assign Laplace transform to all components. So L becomes Z=sL and C becomes Z=1/sC.

Then sum currents to zero at every dependent node (in your case 2). Don't use currents explicitly. For example, (V1-V2)/Z1 = (V2-V3)/Z2 + (V2-V4)/Z3 that sort of thing. This gets you your transfer function V(C)/V(S) = F(s) immediately.

To get the ODE I would take V(C) = F(s)V(S), multiply both sides by s, then go back to the time domain by s → d/dt and ##s^2## → ##d^2/dt^2##.

Of course there are ways of staying in the time domain but I'm not sure how to best do that so others might help you there.

Likes rugerts
rugerts said:
I've tried using KCL at node A to find the 2nd order ODE that describes this circuit in terms of the capacitor voltage.
You have written the equation for ##i_c##, the current through the capacitor and through the inductor, so the next step is to say

$$v_A\ =\ v_c\ +\ L\cdot\dfrac{di_c}{dt}$$

NascentOxygen said:
You have written the equation for ##i_c##, the current through the capacitor and through the inductor, so the next step is to say

$$v_A\ =\ v_c\ +\ L\cdot\dfrac{di_c}{dt}$$
See, I thought this was the case but couldn't justify it properly to myself. By what physical law is this true might I ask? Is this a consequence of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

rugerts said:
By what physical law is this true might I ask? Is this a consequence of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?
The instantaneous voltage across multiple elements = the sum of their individual instantaneous voltages

1. What is an ODE and how does it relate to circuits?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the input and output of a system. In circuits, ODEs are used to model the behavior of electrical components and their interactions.

2. How can I find the ODE that describes a circuit?

To find the ODE of a circuit, you will first need to use Kirchhoff's laws and other circuit analysis techniques to create a system of equations that describes the circuit. These equations can then be rearranged into a single ODE that represents the behavior of the circuit.

3. Why is it important to find the ODE of a circuit?

Finding the ODE of a circuit allows us to mathematically model and analyze its behavior. This can help us understand how the circuit will respond to different inputs and make predictions about its performance.

4. What is a transfer function and how is it related to ODEs?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the output of a system in response to a given input. In the context of ODEs and circuits, the transfer function is derived from the ODE and describes the relationship between the input and output voltage or current of the circuit.

5. How do I find the transfer function of a circuit?

To find the transfer function of a circuit, you will first need to find the ODE that describes the circuit. Then, you can use techniques such as Laplace transforms to convert the ODE into a transfer function. Alternatively, you can use circuit analysis software to find the transfer function directly.