State Space Model of an RL Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods for solving a problem involving circuits. The first method involves finding the state space model using KCL in the time domain and then deriving the transfer function. The second method involves finding the transfer function directly using mesh analysis. The individual is unsure which method is correct as they obtained two different transfer functions. It is noted that the second method seems to have the correct form of the answer, but the first method may have dropped a V(t) term.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

For the given circuits, identify state variables and derive a state-space model for each.
Assume the input is v(t) and the output is vL(t).

?temp_hash=789bcbcf59cf1f147b80c7cf8fd7cf6f.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So my issue is that I solved this problem using two different methods. First method I used was trying to find the state space model directly using KCL in the time domain. I then took my state space model used derived using this method and found the transfer function. I then found the transfer function directly using mesh analysis. For some reason I got two different transfer functions. So that means either my state space analysis from my first method was incorrect, or the second transfer function I found using mesh analysis was incorrect. I'm not exactly sure what I did was incorrect, my transfer function using mesh analysis, or my state space analysis. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Equations 1.PNG

Equations 2.PNG

Equations 3.PNG

Equations 4.PNG

Equations 5.PNG

Attachments

• Figure.png
    Figure.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 575
  • Equations 1.PNG
    Equations 1.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 1,186
  • Equations 2.PNG
    Equations 2.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 876
  • Equations 3.PNG
    Equations 3.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 827
  • Equations 4.PNG
    Equations 4.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 823
  • Equations 5.PNG
    Equations 5.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 775
  • ?temp_hash=789bcbcf59cf1f147b80c7cf8fd7cf6f.png
    ?temp_hash=789bcbcf59cf1f147b80c7cf8fd7cf6f.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,049
Physics news on Phys.org
The form of your answer using the 2nd method looks correct (bandpass filter), but I didn't check the math in detail
upload_2018-10-11_13-36-56.png

But it seems like you dropped a V(t) term in you answer using the first time-domain method? (Or I could be missing something)...
upload_2018-10-11_13-38-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-11_13-36-56.png
    upload_2018-10-11_13-36-56.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 680
  • upload_2018-10-11_13-38-30.png
    upload_2018-10-11_13-38-30.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 635

1. What is a state space model of an RL circuit?

A state space model of an RL circuit is a mathematical representation of the behavior of the circuit over time. It uses a set of differential equations to describe the relationships between the circuit's input, output, and internal states.

2. What are the advantages of using a state space model for an RL circuit?

One advantage of using a state space model is that it allows for the analysis and design of complex systems. It also allows for the incorporation of non-linearities and time-varying parameters, which can provide a more accurate representation of the circuit's behavior.

3. How is a state space model for an RL circuit different from a transfer function model?

A state space model and a transfer function model are two different mathematical representations of a system. The main difference is that a state space model uses differential equations to describe the dynamics of the system, while a transfer function model uses a ratio of polynomials to describe the input-output relationship.

4. What are the required parameters for creating a state space model of an RL circuit?

The required parameters for creating a state space model of an RL circuit include the values of the inductance (L) and resistance (R) of the circuit, as well as the input voltage (Vin) and initial conditions for the state variables (i.e. initial current and voltage).

5. How can a state space model of an RL circuit be used in practical applications?

A state space model of an RL circuit can be used for various purposes, such as analyzing the circuit's response to different input signals, designing control systems, and predicting the behavior of the circuit over time. It can also be used for troubleshooting and diagnosing issues in the circuit.