Finding the potential difference of a diode

In summary, the forward voltage drop across the resistor is Vf = 0.7*0.6+5.3 = 3.1V. The current flowing through the leg of the circuit is 0.0176A.
Ben1238
Homework Statement
2 Components can be connected in a circuit in series, and in parallel.

a Figure 2 shows an electrical circuit. The resistors and the (silicon) diode are connected to a power supply of negligible internal resistance.

i) Use Figure 2 to state the potential difference between points B and C when the diode is in forward bias and is conducting.

ii) Calculate the potential difference between points A and B when the diode is conducting as in part i.

iii) Use Figure 2 to calculate the current in the power supply.
Relevant Equations
V=IR
It=I1+I2...
Sum EMF=Sum V around closed loop
Sum I in= Sum I out
1/R=1/R1 + 1/R2
I've tried doing it but i haven't been able to find the resistance of the diode.

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 251
Physics news on Phys.org
Ben1238 said:
Homework Statement:: 2 Components can be connected in a circuit in series, and in parallel.

a Figure 2 shows an electrical circuit. The resistors and the (silicon) diode are connected to a power supply of negligible internal resistance.

i) Use Figure 2 to state the potential difference between points B and C when the diode is in forward bias and is conducting.

ii) Calculate the potential difference between points A and B when the diode is conducting as in part i.

iii) Use Figure 2 to calculate the current in the power supply.
Relevant Equations:: V=IR
It=I1+I2...
Sum EMF=Sum V around closed loop
Sum I in= Sum I out
1/R=1/R1 + 1/R2

I've tried doing it but i haven't been able to find the resistance of the diode.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What assumptions are you supposed to make about the forward voltage Vf of the diode? They say it is a silicon diode, so are you supposed to use a typical voltage number for it? Or are you provided a datasheet for the diode so you can use the Vf versus If plot in the datasheet to find the actual Vf when it's conducting?

Likes etotheipi
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What assumptions are you supposed to make about the forward voltage Vf of the diode? They say it is a silicon diode, so are you supposed to use a typical voltage number for it? Or are you provided a datasheet for the diode so you can use the Vf versus If plot in the datasheet to find the actual Vf when it's conducting?

I haven't been given a datasheet, I am just wondering if there is a way for me to find the resistance of the diode, also would it be possible for the resistance of the diode to be negative? Because I am not sure if i have just messed up my calculations or if it is actually possible.

Ben1238 said:
I haven't been given a datasheet, I am just wondering if there is a way for me to find the resistance of the diode, also would it be possible for the resistance of the diode to be negative? Because I am not sure if i have just messed up my calculations or if it is actually possible.
For problems like this you usually don't think in terms of the "resistance" of the diode. You think instead of its forward voltage drop while conducting. For silicon diodes, you can simplify and just say Vf = 0.7V approximately, and use that in your calculation of the rest of the circuit. For example, if you have a 6V voltage source connected to a resistor + diode in series, what voltage would be dropped across the resistor if you make the simplified Vf = 0.7V assumption? And what does that give you for the current through that leg of the circuit?

The next step better in such circuits is to use the datasheet for the diode to see how Vf varies with If, and use the appropriate value of Vf in the calculation. You can see from the figure below how Vf varies with If, and how it is close to 0.6V to 0.7V for a range of If values...

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/up...circuit-analysis-techniques_rk_aac_image1.jpg

1599152776648.png

Likes cnh1995 and etotheipi
it says in my textbook that the threshold P.d. of a silicon diode is around 0.7V so it that where it comes from and is that something that i would have to assume then? so would that mean the P.d. in the diode (between b and c) is 0.7V, would that mean that the P.d. of R1 is 5.3V and the current flowing though that branch is 0.0176A?

Likes berkeman
Ben1238 said:
it says in my textbook that the threshold P.d. of a silicon diode is around 0.7V so it that where it comes from and is that something that i would have to assume then? so would that mean the P.d. in the diode (between b and c) is 0.7V, would that mean that the P.d. of R1 is 5.3V and the current flowing though that branch is 0.0176A?
Yes.

Likes berkeman
Ok thank you for your help

1. What is a diode?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in one direction only. It is made up of a semiconductor material with two terminals, an anode and a cathode.

2. How do you find the potential difference of a diode?

The potential difference of a diode can be found by measuring the voltage across the diode using a voltmeter. The positive lead of the voltmeter should be connected to the anode of the diode and the negative lead to the cathode.

3. Why is it important to find the potential difference of a diode?

The potential difference of a diode is important because it determines the direction and amount of current that can flow through the diode. It also helps in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the diode in a circuit.

4. What factors can affect the potential difference of a diode?

The potential difference of a diode can be affected by temperature, current, and the material used to make the diode. Other factors such as the type of diode and the circuit configuration can also have an impact on the potential difference.

5. How does the potential difference of a diode change with increasing current?

The potential difference of a diode typically decreases with increasing current due to the voltage drop across the diode. This is known as the forward voltage drop and is dependent on the type of diode and the amount of current flowing through it.