Finding the Rate of Change of Water Level in a Filling Trough

In summary, the water level is rising faster when the trough is 30 cm deep than when it is 0.2 m^3/min deep.
bkbowser
I am assuming that I am setting this up incorrectly or substituting the incorrect values.

A water trough is 10 m long and a cross-section has the shape
of an isosceles trapezoid that is 30 cm wide at the bottom,
80 cm wide at the top, and has height 50 cm. If the trough is
being filled with water at the rate of 0.2 m^3͞/min, how fast is the
water level rising when the water is 30 cm deep?

I broke up the trapezoid into 2 triangles and a rectangle so the area should be

A = 2*Triangle + Rectangle
A = (b*h)+(50*h)

I can look at b in terms of h by using similar triangles. Each triangle has side a, of 25 side b, of 50. So the triangle formed by the water level must be side a 15 side b of 30. So b is h/2

A = (h^2*1/2) + (50*h)

Converting this into volume should be easy, just multiply the equation A, by 1000.

dA/dt = 2/2*h*dh/dt + 50*dh/dt

Convert dA/dt into dV/dt;

1000*dA/dt = dh/dt(h+50)*1000

Since 1000*dA/dt I can make a substitution

dV/dt = dh/dt(h+50)*1000

I have a book answer of 10/3. Could someone be so kind as to point out the errors? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be a good idea to double-check your formula for the area of the trapezoid in terms of h. It should yield the area of the whole trapezoid when h = 50. Does it?

(80+50)/2*50=3250

versus

25*50+30*50=2750

so no they are not the same. i can't think of any particular reason why they are not equal though. and there's the added difficulty of it gumming the whole rest of the problem up :(

bkbowser said:
I am assuming that I am setting this up incorrectly or substituting the incorrect values.

A water trough is 10 m long and a cross-section has the shape
of an isosceles trapezoid that is 30 cm wide at the bottom,
80 cm wide at the top, and has height 50 cm. If the trough is
being filled with water at the rate of 0.2 m^3͞/min, how fast is the
water level rising when the water is 30 cm deep?

I broke up the trapezoid into 2 triangles and a rectangle so the area should be

A = 2*Triangle + Rectangle
A = (b*h)+(50*h)
You are told the the height of the trapezoid is 50 cm so why are you multiplying h by 50? The base of the trapezoid is 30 cm wide so the area of the central square is 30h, not 50h.

I can look at b in terms of h by using similar triangles. Each triangle has side a, of 25 side b, of 50. So the triangle formed by the water level must be side a 15 side b of 30. So b is h/2

A = (h^2*1/2) + (50*h)

Converting this into volume should be easy, just multiply the equation A, by 1000.

dA/dt = 2/2*h*dh/dt + 50*dh/dt

Convert dA/dt into dV/dt;

1000*dA/dt = dh/dt(h+50)*1000

Since 1000*dA/dt I can make a substitution

dV/dt = dh/dt(h+50)*1000

I have a book answer of 10/3. Could someone be so kind as to point out the errors? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a related rates word problem?

A related rates word problem is a type of math problem that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity in relation to another. These problems typically involve multiple variables and require the use of calculus to solve.

2. What are some common scenarios where related rates word problems are used?

Related rates word problems are commonly used in physics and engineering to model real-life situations such as the rate of change of the volume of a sphere as its radius changes, or the rate of change of the height of a ladder as it slides down a wall.

3. How do you solve a related rates word problem?

To solve a related rates word problem, you must first identify all the given information and the rate of change you are looking for. Then, use the appropriate formula or equation that relates the variables involved and take the derivative with respect to time. Finally, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown rate.

4. What are some tips for solving related rates word problems?

Some tips for solving related rates word problems include drawing a diagram, labeling all known and unknown variables, and using a consistent unit of measurement. It is also important to carefully read the problem and break it down into smaller parts that are easier to solve.

5. How can I check if my solution to a related rates word problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to a related rates word problem is correct by substituting the given values into your final answer and making sure it satisfies the original equation. You can also use common sense and logic to determine if the solution makes sense in the context of the problem.