Finding the relative extrema for a speed function using parametric curves

In summary, I have no problem in following the literature on this, i find it pretty easy. My concern is on the derived function, i think the textbook is wrong, it ought to be, $$(\sqrt {f(x)})'=\frac{1}{2}...$$.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached...
Relevant Equations
parametric equations
1626145343299.png

I have no problem in following the literature on this, i find it pretty easy. My concern is on the derived function, i think the textbook is wrong, it ought to be,
##S^{'}(t)##=##\frac {4t} {\sqrt{1+4t^2}}=0## is this correct? if so then i guess i have to look for a different textbook to use...

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. (Of course, it doesn't change the final answer regarding the relative extrema.)

Likes chwala and Delta2
FactChecker said:
I agree with you. (Of course, it doesn't change the final answer regarding the relative extrema.)
...but the steps have to be correct though! This is Mathematics! I guess its time to ditch the textbook, i would'nt want to spend time on always trying to correct the author..i guess maybe he was drunk when solving this kinda problems... :wink: o0)o0):oldlaugh::oldlaugh:

An occasional error in a textbook is to be expected and tolerated. Proofreading a book is a never-ending, thankless job. No matter how hard the author tries, there are errors remaining.
Think of it as good practice in spotting errors. As long as the fundamental ideas are presented accurately the book can still be used.

Likes fresh_42 and Delta2
FactChecker said:
An occasional error in a textbook is to be expected and tolerated. Proofreading a book is a never-ending, thankless job. No matter how hard the author tries, there are errors remaining.
Think of it as good practice in spotting errors. As long as the fundamental ideas are presented accurately the book can still be used.
ok mate...i hear you...but if the mistakes seem to be consistent then its a problem...1 or 2 mistakes is understandable.

I know that you probably want a book to be like a holy gospel , that is unmistakable however books are written by humans and humans do mistakes all the time. The average book contains 1 error every like 10 pages or something like that.

Likes FactChecker and chwala
Delta2 said:
I know that you probably want a book to be like a holy gospel , that is unmistakable however books are written by humans and humans do mistakes all the time. The average book contains 1 error every like 10 pages or something like that.
True delta, I agree...but there was a book that I used some time back which had wrong solutions throughout for all the given exercises...these are the kind of books I won't use...

chwala said:
True delta, I agree...but there was a book that I used some time back which had wrong solutions throughout for all the given exercises...these are the kind of books I won't use...
Yes, well , I guess there can be some really bad books full of mistakes...

For worked problems and examples, I have always liked the Schaum's Outline series. They seem to put special emphasis on worked problems. I can not testify to their accuracy, but I do not remember seeing any problems.

Likes chwala
1626219616560.png

same mistake here...

yes hehe apparently the mathematician behind this keeps forget that $$(\sqrt {f(x)})'=\frac{1}{2}...$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Delta2 said:
yes hehe apparently the mathematician behind this keeps forget that $$({\sqrt f(x)})'=\frac{1}{2}...$$
:H:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2

1. What is a speed function?

A speed function is a mathematical representation of the rate at which an object is moving. It measures the change in distance over time and is typically denoted as v(t), where v represents velocity and t represents time.

2. How do parametric curves relate to finding relative extrema for a speed function?

Parametric curves are a way of representing a function using two or more parameters. In the context of finding relative extrema for a speed function, parametric curves can be used to graph the speed function and visually identify the points where the speed is either increasing or decreasing, which correspond to the relative extrema.

3. What is a relative extremum?

A relative extremum is a point on a graph where the function has a maximum or minimum value in a specific interval. In the context of a speed function, a relative maximum represents the highest speed achieved during a given time period, while a relative minimum represents the lowest speed.

4. How do you determine the relative extrema for a speed function using parametric curves?

To determine the relative extrema for a speed function using parametric curves, you can graph the speed function using parametric equations. Then, you can visually identify the points where the speed is either increasing or decreasing, which correspond to the relative extrema. Alternatively, you can also use calculus to find the critical points of the speed function and determine if they are relative extrema.

5. Why is finding the relative extrema for a speed function important?

Finding the relative extrema for a speed function is important because it allows us to determine the maximum and minimum speeds achieved during a given time period. This information can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding the rate of change of a variable is crucial.