Finding the units of the ring Z[sqrt(-3)]

• Thread starter Andrusko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring Units
In summary, the task is to find all units in the ring Z[\sqrt{-3}] and prove that 2 is irreducible while 7 is not. A unit in a ring is a non-zero element that, when multiplied by another non-zero element, gives the identity element of the ring, 1. In this ring, a unit is of the form x + y\sqrt{-3}i, with integer coefficients. 0 is not a unit. To find the units, one can look at the factorization of x^2 + 3y^2 for x and y, or use the equation (x + y\sqrt{-3})(a + b\sqrt{-3}) = 1 to determine the
Andrusko

Homework Statement

In the ring [tex]Z[\sqrt{-3}][/tex] find all units and prove that 2 is irreducible but 7 is not.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well a unit is a non-zero element of the ring that when multiplied by some other non-zero element of the ring gives the unity of the ring.

ie; [tex] ab = 1\;a,b \in Z[\sqrt{-3}] [/tex]

in otherwords b is the multiplicative inverse of a.

a is of the form [tex] a = x + y\sqrt{3} i [/tex] which just has the inverse of [tex]\frac{x - y\sqrt{3}i}{x^{2} + 3y^{2}}[/tex] (ie; b has this form)

So everything with the form of b with integer coefficients is a unit and 0 is not a unit.

I really don't understand what this question is asking, because I know what I've written down is completely stupid.

How would one go about finding the units of this ring?

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrusko said:

Homework Statement

In the ring [tex]Z[\sqrt{-3}][/tex] find all units and prove that 2 is irreducible but 7 is not.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well a unit is a non-zero element of the ring that when multiplied by some other non-zero element of the ring gives the unity of the ring.

ie; [tex] ab = 1\;a,b \in Z[\sqrt{-3}] [/tex]

in otherwords b is the multiplicative inverse of a.

a is of the form [tex] a = x + y\sqrt{3} i [/tex] which just has the inverse of [tex]\frac{x - y\sqrt{3}i}{x^{2} + 3y^{2}}[/tex] (ie; b has this form)

So everything with the form of b with integer coefficients is a unit and 0 is not a unit.
Which means that [itex]x^2+ 3y^2[/itex] is a factor of both x and y. For what x and y is that true?

Another way to do this is to look at [itex](x+ y\sqrt{3})(a+ b\sqrt{3})[/itex][itex]= (ax+ 3by)+ (ay+bx)\sqrt{3}= 1[/itex]. What must x, y, a, and b be?

I really don't understand what this question is asking, because I know what I've written down is completely stupid.

How would one go about finding the units of this ring?

Related to Finding the units of the ring Z[sqrt(-3)]

1. What are the units of the ring Z[sqrt(-3)]?

The units of the ring Z[sqrt(-3)] are the elements that have multiplicative inverses. In other words, they are the elements that can be multiplied by another element to give the identity element, 1.

2. How do you find the units of the ring Z[sqrt(-3)]?

To find the units of the ring Z[sqrt(-3)], we need to identify the elements that have multiplicative inverses. This can be done by finding the gcd (greatest common divisor) of each element with the element 1+sqrt(-3) and checking if the gcd is equal to 1.

3. Can all elements in the ring Z[sqrt(-3)] be units?

No, not all elements in the ring Z[sqrt(-3)] can be units. Only elements that have a gcd of 1 with the element 1+sqrt(-3) are considered units. The rest of the elements are called non-units.

4. How many units are there in the ring Z[sqrt(-3)]?

There are infinitely many units in the ring Z[sqrt(-3)]. This is because for every integer a and b, there exists a unit a+bsqrt(-3) and its multiplicative inverse a-bsqrt(-3).

5. Can the units in the ring Z[sqrt(-3)] form a group?

Yes, the units in the ring Z[sqrt(-3)] form a group under multiplication. This group is known as the unit group of Z[sqrt(-3)] and it is denoted as U(Z[sqrt(-3)]). It has the identity element 1 and every element in the group has a unique multiplicative inverse.