Show that the rings Z[x] and Z are not isomorphic

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary: Then try to show that ##I## is not generated by one element.In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the rings Z[x] and Z are not isomorphic. Two approaches are suggested: examining structural properties and using the fact that Z[x] is not a PID. The conversation also mentions using an isomorphism to show that the ideal (x) in Z[x] corresponds to a non-principal ideal in Z.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to show that these are not isomorphic. The thing is that I already know that ##\mathbb{Z}/(x) \cong \mathbb{Z}##, but for some reason I can't find specific structural properties of ##\mathbb{Z}[x]## that are different than ##\mathbb{Z}##

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
##\mathbb{Z}/(x) \cong \mathbb{Z}##?
I meant to write ##\mathbb{Z}[x]/(x) \cong \mathbb{Z}##

What if you assumed an isomorphsm ##\varphi\, : \,\mathbb{Z}[x] \longrightarrow \mathbb{Z}##. Then ##\varphi((x)) ## is an ideal in ##\mathbb{Z}##, say ##\varphi((x)) = n\mathbb{Z}## with ##\varphi(x)=n##. What do you get if you factor this ideal on both sides?

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to show that these are not isomorphic. The thing is that I already know that ##\mathbb{Z}/(x) \cong \mathbb{Z}##, but for some reason I can't find specific structural properties of ##\mathbb{Z}[x]## that are different than ##\mathbb{Z}##
Another idea is to use the fact that ##\mathbb{Z}[x]## is no PID, e.g. ##I:=\langle 2, 1+x \rangle##.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. Why are Z[x] and Z not isomorphic?

The rings Z[x] and Z are not isomorphic because they have different algebraic structures. Z[x] is a polynomial ring, while Z is an integral domain. This means that the elements in Z[x] are polynomials with coefficients in Z, while the elements in Z are integers. The two rings also have different properties and operations, making it impossible for them to be isomorphic.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate the difference between Z[x] and Z?

Yes, for example, the element x in Z[x] has no counterpart in Z, as it is not an integer. Additionally, the polynomial x+1 in Z[x] has no multiplicative inverse in Z, while every non-zero element in Z has a multiplicative inverse.

3. Is it possible for Z[x] and Z to have some elements in common?

Yes, it is possible for Z[x] and Z to have some elements in common. For example, the element 1 is present in both rings. However, the way in which this element is used and the operations performed on it differ in each ring, further highlighting their non-isomorphic nature.

4. Are there other rings that are not isomorphic to Z[x]?

Yes, there are many other rings that are not isomorphic to Z[x]. Some examples include the polynomial ring over a field, such as R[x], and the ring of integers modulo n, denoted by Z/nZ or Zn.

5. What are the implications of Z[x] and Z not being isomorphic?

The fact that Z[x] and Z are not isomorphic has significant implications in abstract algebra. It means that these two rings cannot be studied or compared using the same theorems or methods. It also highlights the importance of understanding the distinct properties and structures of different rings, rather than assuming they are all equivalent.