Finding velocity components of a charge leaving spectrometer

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tangent of an angle in a problem involving a particle not hitting a wall, with given initial velocity and equations. The solution involves finding an expression for time in terms of the given values and using horizontal kinematic equations to solve for the final horizontal velocity. The horizontal displacement is not h/2, which can be misleading.
trevorsternberg

Homework Statement

I need to find the tangent of the angle, but I don't think that is the part I'm messing up... Assume the particle doesn't hit the wall. Initial velocity is v. It seems that Vix = 0m/s and ay=0 m/s
wttvly.png

Homework Equations

I thought vfx^2 =vix^2 +2a(xf-xi)
f=ma , f=eq

The Attempt at a Solution

ax=a=f/m=eq/m

vfx2=vix2+2a(xf-xi)
vfx=(vix2 +2a(xf-xi))1/2
vfx=(2a*h/2)1/2
vfx=(eqh/m)1/2
Since vix=0, v=vfy
tanθ=(eqh/m)1/2/v

I've spent way too long on this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangent is a ratio. What is it a ratio of in this problem? Also remember the x and y motions are independent. Start by writing an expression for the time to travel the length of the tube in termas of v and L.

Cutter Ketch said:
Tangent is a ratio. What is it a ratio of in this problem? Also remember the x and y motions are independent. Start by writing an expression for the time to travel the length of the tube in termas of v and L.

tanθ = Vfx/Vfy is what I showed above.
Time is not a variable that we can answer with, are you saying that I should use a kinematic equation involving time and then substitute another equation in for it?
The answer is in terms of e, q, h, m, v, L.

trevorsternberg said:
tanθ = Vfx/Vfy is what I showed above.
Time is not a variable that we can answer with, are you saying that I should use a kinematic equation involving time and then substitute another equation in for it?
The answer is in terms of e, q, h, m, v, L.
Yes, find an expression for the time to traverse the device in terms of the given values.

You were only told that the particle does not impact the plate ("wall"), so you don't know how close it comes to the plate before it exits (so you cannot assume that the particle moves distance h/2 in the x-direction).

Your final equation looks right to me, just use E rather than e.
What are you suppose to work out?
Theta?
Should your answer contain L?
The problem is similar to a horizontally launched projectile, so you can use all of its formulas, where your x is y in the projectile formulas :smile: or alternatively you can just rotate your axes 90o anticlockwise :wink:

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
Your final equation looks right to me, just use E rather than e.
I don't believe that the answer should contain h. See my post (#4) above.

I get the impression that the op has the answer, but his/her solution do not match :smile:

andrevdh said:
I get the impression that the op has the answer, but his/her solution do not match :smile:
Well let's wait and see what the OP has to say about what he's getting versus what he expects to get.

I figured it out, thanks for the help, guys. In case anyone is wondering:
You must solve for t using a kinematic equation in the y direction, and then plug it into a horizontal kinematic equation to find Vfx.
It is worth noting that the horizontal displacement is NOT h/2, which is what was tricking me.
h is never needed.
I found this problem to be very misleading for this reason and due to it appearing that the horizontal displacement is h/2.
Take care.

What is a spectrometer and how does it work?

A spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the properties of light, such as intensity, wavelength, and polarization. It works by separating light into its component wavelengths and analyzing them using various techniques.

Why is it important to find the velocity components of a charge leaving a spectrometer?

Finding the velocity components of a charge leaving a spectrometer is important because it allows us to determine the speed and direction of the charged particles, which can provide valuable information about the chemical and physical properties of the sample being analyzed.

What factors affect the velocity components of a charge leaving a spectrometer?

The velocity components of a charge leaving a spectrometer can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the particles, and any external forces acting on the particles.

How do you calculate the velocity components of a charge leaving a spectrometer?

The velocity components of a charge leaving a spectrometer can be calculated using the Lorentz force equation, which takes into account the magnetic field strength, charge and mass of the particles, and their initial velocity and direction.

What are some applications of finding the velocity components of a charge leaving a spectrometer?

Finding the velocity components of a charge leaving a spectrometer has many applications in various fields, such as in the study of atomic and molecular physics, material science, and environmental analysis. It can also be used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, to track the movement of charged particles in the body.