Finding Volume of Region Inside Sphere and Cylinder in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the volume of the region inside both a sphere and a cylinder using cylindrical coordinates. The approach involves setting inner, middle, and outer limits and finding the polar equation of the cylinder. The initial approach presented in the conversation is incorrect and requires further adjustments for correct limits.
E&H12
Find the volume of the region inside both the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2= 4 and the cylinder (x-1)+y^2=1using cylindrical coordinates.

I was thinking the inner limits would go from +(2-r) to - (2-r)
the middle intervals would go from 0 to 1
and the outer limits 0 to 2pi

is my approach correct

Physics news on Phys.org
E&H12 said:
Find the volume of the region inside both the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2= 4 and the cylinder (x-1)+y^2=1

using cylindrical coordinates.

I was thinking the inner limits would go from +(2-r) to - (2-r)
the middle intervals would go from 0 to 1
and the outer limits 0 to 2pi

is my approach correct

1. Did you mean the cylinder ##(x-1)^2 + y^2 = 1\, ##? I am assuming so.
2. You have to tell us what your order of integration is. For example are you describing the limits for ##dzdrd\theta\, ##?
3.If so, notice that ##\sqrt{4-r^2}\ne 2-r##
4. To get correct ##r,\theta## limits you need to find the polar equation of the cylinder and plot its trace in the xy plane. Your limits are wrong.

What is multivariable integration?

Multivariable integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve in three or more dimensions. It involves integrating a function with multiple variables, such as x, y, and z, over a specified region in space.

What is the purpose of multivariable integration?

The purpose of multivariable integration is to calculate the total amount or volume of a quantity in three or more dimensions. This can be useful in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to determine properties such as mass, density, and flow rate.

What are the different types of multivariable integration?

The two main types of multivariable integration are double integration and triple integration. Double integration is used to find the volume under a surface in three dimensions, while triple integration is used to find the volume under a solid in four dimensions.

What are some real-world applications of multivariable integration?

Multivariable integration is used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples of real-world applications include calculating the center of mass of an object, determining the flow of fluids in a pipe, and finding the probability of events in statistics.

What are some techniques for solving multivariable integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving multivariable integration problems include setting up double or triple integrals, using substitution or integration by parts, and applying the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It is also helpful to understand geometric and physical interpretations of integration to aid in problem-solving.