Finding ##x_c(t=0)## for a system of coupled Masses & Springs

In summary: The eigenvector represents a linear combination of the displacements. Specifically, it is a combination which satisfies the equation I wrote in post #13:##\ddot x.e=\lambda x.e##where ##\lambda## is the corresponding eigenvalue.
Redwaves
Homework Statement
Find ##x_c(t=0)## for which the frequency on the block a is ##\frac{(3+\sqrt{4})}{2}## and the amplitude is ##\frac{(cos(3-\sqrt{7}t))}{2}##
The block B oscillate in pure sine.
All the blocks are at rest, thus ##v_a = v_b = v_c = 0##
Relevant Equations
##x_a(t=0) = 6, x_b(t=0) =-6, x_c(t=0) = ?##
Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure at all how to start this question. I found the eigenvectors in a previous question, but I'm not sure if I need it to solve this one.

I think I need to use the expression for the position and velocity.
##a_n = C_n cos (\omega_n t + \alpha_n)##
##v_n = -\omega_n C_n sin (\omega_n t + \alpha_n)##

However, I don't how this can help me to find ##x_c(t=0)## for which the movement of the block A matches a frequency of ##\frac{(3+\sqrt{4})}{2}## and an amplitude ##\frac{(cos(3-\sqrt{7}t))}{2}##

FlBWwrP.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you talking about ? What block ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
What are you talking about ? What block ?

##\ ##

I drew the system. Sorry If it wasn't clear.

I don't understand the expression for the amplitude. It should be a constant, not a function of time.

It is probably just me having hard time to understand the question. It says the amplitude is modulated by that function. However, I don't really know what that means. Once again I'm sorry.

Redwaves said:
It says the amplitude is modulated by that function.
That suggests to me that A is supposed to move like ##\sin(\frac{(3+\sqrt{7})}{2}t)\frac{(cos(3-\sqrt{7}t))}{2}##, but I would not have thought that consistent with B moving as pure sine. Though maybe C also having that sort of modulation makes that possible.

Last edited:
I think I found something with what you said.
In general if I have the eigenvectors and the eigenvalues and the system doesn't have any damping force, can I use ##x_a(t) = C_1 X_{1a}cos(\omega_1 t + \alpha_1) + C_2 X_{2a}cos(\omega_2 t + \alpha_2) + C_3 X_{3a}cos(\omega_3 t + \alpha_3)##

What ##X_{na}## means. I mean is it some kind of displacement? I realized that I'm not even sure what ##x_a(t) = C_1 X_{1a}cos(\omega_1 t + \alpha_1) + C_2 X_{2a}cos(\omega_2 t + \alpha_2) + C_3 X_{3a}cos(\omega_3 t + \alpha_3)## really is.

I just realized that I have a graph for ##x_a(t)## which is a beats frequency graph.

I have my eigenvalues and eigenvectors which are ##\omega_1^2 = 2k/m, \omega_2^2 = 7k/m, \omega_3^2 = 9k/m, <1| = (1,5,3), <2| = (3,0,-1), <3| = (1,-2,3)##

I know ##x_c(t=0) = 8##

So I'm trying a lot of different thing just to find the correct answer. I really don't know what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Redwaves said:
a beats frequency graph
Which is what you get from the expression in post #6.

I'm not sure to understand the ##\sin## If the amplitude of the beats frequencies is ##2A \cos(\omega_1 - \omega_2)t/2##. Does it means that ##x_a(t) = \cos(3+\sqrt{7})t / 2 (\cos (3-\sqrt{7})t/2)##.
Thus, ##\omega_1 = 3## and ##\omega_? = \sqrt{7}## ?

Using trig identity, I get ##(\cos(a) + \cos(b))/2##

##x_a(t) = \frac{cos(3)}{2} + \frac{cos(\sqrt{7})}{2}##, so based of my eigenvalues. I can see that ##x_a(t)## oscillate in 2 modes only, the second and the third.

I have my vector for ##x_n(t=0) = (6,-6,c)## if I do a dot product with my eigenvector for the first mode I get ##x_c(0) = 8## which is the right answer! However, I don't know how it works. I mean why the dot product between my vector ##x_n(0)## and the first eigenvector gives me the correct answer.

Last edited:
Redwaves said:
I'm not sure to understand the sin
I wrote "something like". The choice of sin rather than cos was arbitrary.

All right, I see.
Can you confirm that what I said is not totally wrong?

Redwaves said:
why the dot product between my vector ##x_n(0)## and the first eigenvector gives me the correct answer.
I'd say it's because it does not oscillate in that mode.
For an eigenvector ##e##, ##\ddot x.e=\lambda x.e##. Setting ##x(0).e=0## gives ##\ddot x.e=0##. Since ##\dot x(0)=0##, that combo is constant.

I understand that at t=0, all the blocks doesn't moves, but does it means that the block A shouldn't oscillate in that mode? so, this is the only mode that A is at rest. Furthermore, I don't know why a dot product between an eigenvector and the position vector give me the position for C. What's the meaning of this eigenvector.

For me it's like if I did a dot product between my position vector and something for I whatever reason.

Redwaves said:
I understand that at t=0, all the blocks doesn't moves, but does it means that the block A shouldn't oscillate in that mode? so, this is the only mode that A is at rest. Furthermore, I don't know why a dot product between an eigenvector and the position vector give me the position for C. What's the meaning of this eigenvector.

For me it's like if I did a dot product between my position vector and something for I whatever reason.
The eigenvector represents a linear combination of the displacements. Specifically, it is a combination which satisfies the equation I wrote in post #13:
##\ddot x.e=\lambda x.e##
where ##\lambda## is the corresponding eigenvalue.
You can check that works here.
As you can see, this means the scalar ##x.e## obeys 1D SHM.

You (somehow) determined that only modes 2 and 3 occur. We know that ##\dot x.e## is zero at t=0. If ##x.e## is also zero at t=0, the equation tells us that ##\ddot x.e## is zero at t=0. It follows that ##x.e## is always zero. This is precisely what we need for the mode not to occur (i.e. it is if and only if), so we can conclude ##x.e## is indeed zero at t=0 for mode 1.

Likes Redwaves
I think I understand. That begin to make sense. I had no idea about the equation you wrote and if ##\ddot{x}## = 0 then the mode don't occur. Thanks !

Redwaves said:
I think I understand. That begin to make sense. I had no idea about the equation you wrote and if ##\ddot{x}## = 0 then the mode don't occur. Thanks !
Well, it also requires ##\dot x=0##.

Btw, this is not an area I ever studied, though I did encounter eigenvalues and eigenvectors in a couple of other contexts. I didn't know that equation either, but when you asked me about the physical significance of the eigenvector it made me give it some thought.

I think what you said make plenty of sense. It is exactly what I was looking for.

1. What is the initial displacement of the system?

The initial displacement, ##x_c(t=0)##, refers to the position of the center of mass of the system at time t=0. It is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm).

2. How is the initial displacement calculated for a system of coupled masses and springs?

The initial displacement can be calculated by finding the sum of the individual displacements of each mass in the system. This can be done by solving the equations of motion for each mass and then adding up the displacements at time t=0.

3. What factors affect the initial displacement of a system of coupled masses and springs?

The initial displacement is affected by the initial conditions of the system, such as the initial positions and velocities of each mass, as well as the stiffness and mass of each spring. The initial displacement can also be affected by external forces acting on the system.

4. How does the initial displacement impact the motion of the system?

The initial displacement determines the starting position of the system and therefore affects its subsequent motion. A larger initial displacement will result in a greater amplitude of oscillation, while a smaller initial displacement will result in a smaller amplitude of oscillation.

5. Can the initial displacement be changed during the motion of the system?

Yes, the initial displacement can be changed during the motion of the system if external forces are applied or if the system is in contact with other objects. However, the initial displacement at t=0 will remain constant unless acted upon by external forces.