First Ionization energy exceptions

In summary, there is a unique exception to the trend of increasing ionization energy as you move across the periodic table. This is due to the fact that the P orbitals in the p-block are situated at a higher energy level than the S orbitals, causing them to "split" and require less energy to remove an electron. This can be observed by comparing the energy levels of 2S and 2P orbitals in atoms with multiple electrons.
henry3369
I'm having a hard time understanding the first ionization energy exception between the s and p block. My book tries to explain it but I feel like it is a poor explanation. It states that the ionization energy for Boron is actually lower than Beryllium because of the fact that the p block is higher in energy. Is there another explanation someone can provide because this doesn't really explain why. If this was the case then the entire p block should have a lower ionization energy. I understand why ionization energy increases as you approach the right side of the periodic table due to an increase in Zeff, but I'm not sure what is creating this exception between the s and p block. Also I'm not sure why a higher energy would result in less energy required to remove an electron. Wouldn't something with more energy be more difficult to remove?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you compare energy levels of 2S and 2P orbitals in atoms with more than one electron, you will find that they have "split," are no longer equal in energy as is implied by the principle quantum number, the P being at a higher level than the S. As you move across a row filling orbitals, the S orbitals at the lower energy are filled first (releasing more energy), then the P orbitals. The first P orbital to be filled, boron, is at enough higher energy that the energy required for the first ionization is less than the energy required to remove an electron from the 2S orbital of Be.

1. What is first ionization energy?

First ionization energy is the energy required to remove one electron from a neutral atom in its gaseous state.

2. Why are there exceptions to the trend in first ionization energy?

There are exceptions to the trend in first ionization energy because of the electron configurations of certain elements. For example, elements in the group 2 (alkaline earth metals) have a full s subshell, making it easier to remove an electron from the next p subshell. This results in a lower first ionization energy compared to elements in the previous group.

3. Which elements have the highest and lowest first ionization energy?

Helium has the highest first ionization energy because it has a full valence shell and is very stable. Francium has the lowest first ionization energy due to its large atomic radius and weak nuclear attraction to its valence electrons.

4. How does the first ionization energy affect an element's reactivity?

The higher the first ionization energy, the less reactive an element is because it requires more energy to remove an electron. Elements with low first ionization energies are more reactive as they are more likely to lose an electron and form positive ions.

5. What factors can influence first ionization energy?

The factors that can influence first ionization energy include the number of protons in the nucleus, the distance between the nucleus and outermost electrons, and the shielding effect of inner electrons. Additionally, the atomic radius and electron configuration can also play a role in determining first ionization energy.