Ionization ENERGY -Why removal of electron from gaseous atom

In summary: It is the energy required to remove the outermost, or highest energy, electron from a neutral atom in the gas phase.
gracy
Why ionization energy is defined as the energy required to remove the outermost, or highest energy, electron from a neutral atom in the gas phase. Why can't we remove electrons from a solid,can we?
If not ,what's the reason?I think we can not remove electrons from a solid because in gas phase molecules or gaseous atoms are far apart so in order to remove electron we just have to overcome attraction of nucleus of that particular atom from which we are removing electrons.But in solid state ,there is attraction between adjacent atoms ,so to remove electrons we have to overcome attraction of several atoms .Am I right?

Sorry if my reasoning is just not making any sense.But in order to correct myself I will have to show my thinking, my views.Doesn't matter right or wrong.
Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ionization energy is a property of an atom. If you were removing the electron from a solid it would be a property of a bulk solid.

Likes gracy
Borek said:
If you were removing the electron from a solid it would be a property of a bulk solid.
Why we can have isolated gaseous atom but not isolated solid atom?

gracy said:
Why we can have isolated gaseous atom but not isolated solid atom?

Isolated solid atom is no longer part of a solid.

Likes gracy
That means isolated solid atoms do exist.

No, it doesn't mean that. Isolated atom is not in contact with anything, so it is indistinguishable from the gaseous atom.

Likes gracy
Borek said:
In definition of ionization energy ,it is gaseous atom not isolated gaseous atom,right?I mean
Borek said:
And what about isolated gaseous atom?Is it still part of gas.

Atoms in gas are separate entities that - for most time - don't interact (the lower the pressure, the rarer the collisions that are the only interaction). Atoms in solid are held together by their interactions and their orbitals overlap, creating bands (which are in a way equivalents of orbitals spreading throughout the whole solid). These are entirely different situations.

Likes gracy
Oh!I now understand the whole concept.Thanks a lot @Borek.

This also has a purely technical aspect: The ionization energy in the gas phase is much easier and more precisely being measured than some energies in the solid state.

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a gaseous atom or ion in its ground state.

2. Why is it important to remove an electron from a gaseous atom?

Removing an electron from a gaseous atom can reveal important information about the atom's electronic structure and reactivity. It also plays a crucial role in chemical reactions and the formation of ions.

3. How is ionization energy measured?

Ionization energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV). It can be measured experimentally using techniques such as mass spectrometry or photoionization.

4. What factors affect ionization energy?

The main factors that affect ionization energy include the nuclear charge (number of protons in the nucleus), the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron, and the shielding effect of inner electrons. Atomic size and electron configuration also play a role.

5. How does ionization energy vary across the periodic table?

Ionization energy generally increases as you move across a period from left to right, as the number of protons and the nuclear charge increase. It decreases as you move down a group, as the atomic size increases and outer electrons are further from the nucleus, making them easier to remove.