Fixing LaTeX Not Working on Firefox 99

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter carpinus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Work
In summary: I figured that the palette icon was a way to insert a color for text, but I didn’t know that it could be used to insert a color for BB code tags. Very nice!In summary, when using LaTeX in a thread, be sure to use double number signs ## or dollar signs $$ around the expression and use the little palette icon to select a color for one of the number or dollar signs to prevent them from rendering. Also, if you are the first to use LaTeX in a thread, it may take a moment to render. You can also try reloading the page.
carpinus
hello,
I am trying to use latex in a thread, but for some reason it does not work, eg. v^a is displayed as v^a
I am using firefox browser version 99.
many thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me try ##v^a##

works for me

I used #.#.v^a.#.# without the dots. The double number signs cues Mathjax that there’s an expression in Latex to be rendered.

Theres a link to a latex tutorial below in my signature area.

carpinus said:
hello,
I am trying to use latex in a thread, but for some reason it does not work, eg. v^a is displayed as v^a
I am using firefox browser version 99.
many thanks for your help
Reply to this post to see what I posted.

For an inline equation ##ax^2 + bx + c = 0## and for a separate line $$ax^2 + bx + c = 0$$

sorry, I was unclear
I tried using the dollar or the hash sign from the beginning and they don't work

carpinus said:
sorry, I was unclear
I tried using the dollar or the hash sign from the beginning and they don't work
Why not post your Latex here?

carpinus said:
sorry, I was unclear
Did you use single or double hashes?

I remember fixing a post in a thread that used single $ around a theta that was also missing a backslash.

$.theta.$ vs $.$.\theta.$.$

( remove the dots from the expressions to make them render correctly. )

jedishrfu said:
Theres a link to a latex tutorial below in my signature area.
There's also a link in the input pane every time you start a thread or write a response to one.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes jedishrfu
now it seems to work.
at the beginning some strange things happened.
e.g. it was as though I had to log out and log in again to get the code rendered.
at some point I used 'save draft' and 'delete draft'.
thank you very much for your advice

carpinus said:
now it seems to work.
at the beginning some strange things happened.
e.g. it was as though I had to log out and log in again to get the code rendered.
at some point I used 'save draft' and 'delete draft'.
thank you very much for your advice
If you are the first writing LaTeX in a thread it will not render immediately. Try to reload the page in those cases.

Likes jedishrfu and jbriggs444
When trying to demonstrate ##\LaTeX## in a thread, one can prevent the ## and $$ from rendering by using the little palette icon to select a color for one of the # signs or one of the $ signs.

So one can write that ##\sqrt{2}## is written as ##\sqrt{2}##

Edit: The pallete icon gives you a friendly way to insert things like [COLOR=rgb(0,0,0)] into your text. Those BB code tags get in the way of the MathJax tags and prevent them from rendering.

Edit 2: If you reply to this and use the [ ] icon to turn off BB code rendering, you can see what I did here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman and jedishrfu
jbriggs444 said:
one can prevent the ## and $$ from rendering by using the little palette icon to select a color for one of the # signs or one of the $ signs.
That's exactly how I do it.

Likes jedishrfu
Mark44 said:
That's exactly how I do it.
Yes indeed !

I picked up this trick from Mark long ago.

1. Why is LaTeX not working on Firefox 99?

There could be several reasons why LaTeX is not working on Firefox 99. It could be due to an outdated version of Firefox, incompatible LaTeX extensions, or conflicts with other browser extensions. It could also be caused by a corrupted installation of LaTeX or a problem with the website or document you are trying to view.

2. How can I fix LaTeX not working on Firefox 99?

To fix this issue, you can try updating your Firefox browser to the latest version, disabling any incompatible extensions, and clearing your browser cache. You can also try reinstalling LaTeX or using a different browser to view the document.

3. Is there a specific version of Firefox that is compatible with LaTeX?

There is no specific version of Firefox that is guaranteed to be compatible with LaTeX. However, it is recommended to use the latest version of Firefox for the best compatibility.

4. Can I use other browsers besides Firefox to view LaTeX documents?

Yes, there are several other browsers that support LaTeX, such as Google Chrome, Safari, and Microsoft Edge. You can try using one of these browsers to view your LaTeX documents if you are experiencing issues with Firefox.

5. What should I do if none of the above solutions work?

If none of the above solutions work, you can try reaching out to the website or document owner for assistance. You can also seek help from LaTeX support forums or contact the Firefox support team for further assistance.