Fixing Slow Internet Connection on Home Network

In summary,-The PC with the fastest processor speed and the best internet connection is the only one with a slow connection to the rest of the machines.-The problem is that the machine is always slow for internet access (not only when the liveupdate is active).-The solution is to either fix the PC or to implement a type of quality of service.
ahrkron
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a small network at home (with all machines running Windows XP and norton internet security). One machine is connected to the internet and shares the connection with the rest.

I find it odd that all machines have a decent speed when accessing the web, except the one that serves the connection, which has the fastest processor speed and performs pretty well otherwise... is this something I can fix?

Computer science news on Phys.org
ahrkron said:
I have a small network at home (with all machines running Windows XP and norton internet security). One machine is connected to the internet and shares the connection with the rest.

I find it odd that all machines have a decent speed when accessing the web, except the one that serves the connection, which has the fastest processor speed and performs pretty well otherwise... is this something I can fix?
Is Norton loaded on the main machine? Do you have automatic live update selected? I know when Norton starts to run that my computer slows down drastically.

Yes, it is loaded, and yes, automatic update is selected.
However, the problem is that the machine is *always* slow for internet access (not only when the liveupdate is active).

Well, could you tell us how many machines are connected through the one?
couse bridging multiple connections through one machine can be a pain in the butt, as all computer are sucking up your Bandwidth
so actually you shouldn't expect anything more than slow connection.
i don't know if there are any 'routing' software out there to increase/decrease each computers max bandwidth according to the priority, haven't really studied the subject..
but maby i can help with google, moment...OH! it just hit me, your problem is this! -> http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497
Windows XP has A TCP limit on '10' connection, to prevent your computer from turning into a zombie or something, so try that one, and if it doesn't help, you can read around on google on 'ICS' (internet connection sharing) and you will probably fint tweaks,tips and answers

blimey the tcp thing didnt hit me at once, i must be getting old ;)

i don't know if there are any 'routing' software out there to increase/decrease each computers max bandwidth according to the priority, haven't really studied the subject..
Nope.. But you can implement a type of quality of service and ensure that a minimum amount of Bandwidth is reserved for either a application, or a system. The generic (and actually not so correct term) for this is QoS.

Windows XP has A TCP limit on '10' connection, to prevent your computer from turning into a zombie or something
ermm TCP handshake attempts / sec and TCP connections are not the same thing...

I would first start with the system itself and see if there is anything wrong with it, then look at the network level of things.
--> What is different about the PC that is connected to the internet compared to the others? Do you have any other applications that are resource heavy on it that you don't else where?

By the way, I hope you have a router/modem on the outside of your PC that shares its connection with the others, and it isn't visible on the internet. If it is, you are asking for trouble, and perhaps have some malware on it.

Some tips:

From CMD prompt on xp do a "netstat" if you have millions of stuff here you could have had your system compromised.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

Braindred: That fixed it! :)

Anttech: I get between 50 and 100 lines out of "netstat"... is that excessive? I ran spybot and an antivirus, neither of which detected anything. What else would you recommend to check my system?

What causes a slow internet connection on a home network?

There can be several factors that contribute to a slow internet connection on a home network. Some common causes include a weak Wi-Fi signal, outdated network equipment, too many devices connected to the network, and network congestion.

How can I improve my home network's Wi-Fi signal?

To improve your home network's Wi-Fi signal, you can try moving your router to a central location, away from any obstructions or sources of interference. Additionally, you can purchase a Wi-Fi extender or a mesh network system to expand the coverage of your network.

Why is my internet connection faster on some devices than others?

The speed of your internet connection can vary on different devices due to their hardware capabilities and the distance from your router. Some devices may also have outdated network cards or software that can affect their internet speed.

How often should I update my network equipment?

It is recommended to update your network equipment, such as your router and modem, every 3-4 years to ensure optimal performance. However, if you are experiencing slow internet speeds, it may be time to upgrade your equipment.

What can I do to reduce network congestion?

To reduce network congestion, you can limit the number of devices connected to your network, prioritize certain devices or applications, and use a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi for bandwidth-intensive activities like streaming or gaming.