What Does it Mean When We Say the Universe is 'Flat'?

In summary: In simpler terms, if we draw two parallel lines from one location, they will never move towards each other or further apart, assuming we discount the effects of cosmic inflation and curvatures caused by matter itself. This is the second option.
MikeeMiracle
TL;DR Summary
Flat Universe Definition
When we say the universe is "flat," do we mean:

1) If you could hypothetically "zoom" out to the edge of the universe it would appear roughly as a flat like a sheet of paper with local fluctuations / bumps to indicate the presence of matter.

2) If we draw 2 parallel lines from 1 location they will never move towards each other or further apart? (Assuming discounting the effect of cosmic inflation and curvatures caused by matter itself?)

I am assuming it is the 2nd option?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
MikeeMiracle said:
Summary:: Flat Universe Definition

When we say the universe is "flat," do we mean:

1) If you could hypothetically "zoom" out to the edge of the universe it would appear roughly as a flat like a sheet of paper with local fluctuations / bumps to indicate the presence of matter.

2) If we draw 2 parallel lines from 1 location they will never move towards each other or further apart? (Assuming discounting the effect of cosmic inflation and curvatures caused by matter itself?)

I am assuming it is the 2nd option?

Thanks

Essentially it's number 2). Number 1) is simply absurd. The universe has 3 spatial dimensions.

You know, in all honesty number 1 sounds absurd to me too but my time on this forum has demonstrated to me that just because initially appears to be absurd and /or completely counter intuative, that does not necesarily mean it is wrong, hence why I felt the need to post asking for a clarification.

MikeeMiracle said:
When we say the universe is "flat,"

We mean it is spatially flat. In other words, spacelike slices of constant time, where "time" here means time in the standard FRW coordinates used in cosmology, are flat Euclidean 3-spaces.

What is the definition of a flat universe?

A flat universe is a cosmological model in which the universe is spatially flat, meaning that the geometry of the universe is Euclidean and the sum of the angles of a triangle is 180 degrees. This model is based on the assumption that the density of matter and energy in the universe is equal to the critical density.

How does a flat universe differ from other cosmological models?

A flat universe differs from other cosmological models, such as a closed or open universe, in terms of its geometry and expansion rate. In a flat universe, the expansion rate is constant and the geometry is Euclidean, while in a closed universe the expansion rate slows down and the geometry is curved, and in an open universe the expansion rate speeds up and the geometry is hyperbolic.

What evidence supports the idea of a flat universe?

Several lines of evidence support the idea of a flat universe. One of the main pieces of evidence is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang and has been observed to be nearly uniform in all directions, indicating a flat geometry. Other evidence includes measurements of the cosmic microwave background's temperature and the distribution of galaxies in the universe.

What are the implications of a flat universe?

A flat universe has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the universe is infinite in size, and that it will continue to expand forever. It also supports the idea of the inflationary model of the universe, which explains the rapid expansion of the universe in the first moments after the Big Bang.

Is there any debate about the idea of a flat universe?

While the majority of scientific evidence supports the idea of a flat universe, there is still some debate among scientists. Some alternative theories, such as the cyclic model, propose a non-flat universe. However, these theories have not been widely accepted and the flat universe model remains the most widely accepted and supported cosmological model.