Flow in Anisotropic Soil: Horizontal and Vertical Scale Calculation

• Thread starter tzx9633
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Soil
In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in an example regarding the horizontal and vertical scales in a geotechnic related question. The original equation being solved is unclear, but it involves a change of variables. The author suggests a different transformation and argues that there is no characteristic length scale in the x direction and that the transformation does not specify a length scale for the system. They also provide their own equations and explain how the transformation changes the equations into those for an isotropic formation.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

In this question , it's stated that the horizontal scale is sqrt(kx / kz) X vertical scale ... i think the author's is wrong for horizontal scale and vertical scale in example 8.3...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the vertcal scale should be 6.1m , as shown in the picture , the horizontal scale , which is sqrt(kx / kz) X vertical scale should be sqrt(1/2) X 6.1 = 4.3m

Attachments

• 717.PNG
    717.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 459
  • 718.PNG
    718.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 423
  • 719.PNG
    719.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
notes here :

Attachments

• 720.png
    720.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 433
  • 721.png
    721.png
    40 KB · Views: 458
  • 722.PNG
    722.PNG
    19.4 KB · Views: 440
I also noticed that the example in the notes are also wrong ...
How could it be ?
Or i misunderstood something ?
Anyone can help ?

tzx9633 said:
I also noticed that the example in the notes are also wrong ...
How could it be ?
Or i misunderstood something ?
Anyone can help ?
What equation is being solved?

Likes tzx9633
Chestermiller said:
What equation is being solved?
What do you mean ?
I mean in the first question :
I think the vertcal scale should be 6.1m , as shown in the picture , the horizontal scale , which is sqrt(kx / kz) X vertical scale should be sqrt(1/2) X 6.1 = 4.3m

tzx9633 said:
What do you mean ?
I mean in the first question :
kx/kz = 2, not 1/2. And the original horizontal distance scale before change of variables was 7.6 m. So the new horizontal distance scale after change of variables is 7.6√2.

Likes tzx9633
Pls refer to this
Chestermiller said:
kx/kz = 2, not 1/2. And the original horizontal distance scale before change of variables was 7.6 m. So the new horizontal distance scale after change of variables is 7.6√2.
one , in the notes , it's stated that horizontal scale = sqrt (kz /kx) x vertical scale ...

so , at the example in the first post , it's clear that the horizontal scale = 7.6m , but the vertical scale isn't stated .
I agree that the horizontal scale = sqrt(1/2) x vertical scale

How could horizontal scale = 7.6 x sqrt(2) ??

Attachments

• 720.png
    720.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 421
  • 718.PNG
    718.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 451
tzx9633 said:
Pls refer to this

one , in the notes , it's stated that horizontal scale = sqrt (kz /kx) x vertical scale ...

so , at the example in the first post , it's clear that the horizontal scale = 7.6m , but the vertical scale isn't stated .
I agree that the horizontal scale = sqrt(1/2) x vertical scale

How could horizontal scale = 7.6 x sqrt(2) ??
I see what you are saying. It looks like you are correct in your criticism.

Likes tzx9633
Chestermiller said:
I see what you are saying. It looks like you are correct in your criticism.
Then, what should the vertical scale be? It's not provided, or I miss out something?

tzx9633 said:
Then, what should the vertical scale be? It's not provided, or I miss out something?
I don't like anything about what your book is doing here. There is really no characteristic length scale in the x direction, because the system is infinite in that direction. In the y direction, a logical characteristic length scale would be the height of the permeable formation, which is not specified in the figure. So talking about length scales here makes no sense to me.

What they are really doing here is using a mapping of the independent variable to transform the differential equation into a mathematically more tractable form. This is not the same as specifying a length scale for the system. I have never seen anyone call it this (before now).

Also, I don't like the transformation they have used. I would have done it much differently. I would have written the following:
$$x=x' \left(\frac{k_x}{k_z}\right)^{1/4}$$
$$z=z' \left(\frac{k_z}{k_x}\right)^{1/4}$$
That would transform the differential equation (more symmetrically) into:
$$\sqrt{k_xk_z}\left(\frac{\partial ^2 H}{\partial z'^2}+\frac{\partial ^2 H}{\partial x'^2}\right)=0$$
The original flow equations, in terms of the stream function and the head are:
$$\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z}=-k_x\frac{\partial H}{\partial x}$$
$$\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}=+k_z\frac{\partial H}{\partial z}$$
Applying our coordinate mapping to these equations yields:
$$\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z'}=-\sqrt{k_xk_z}\frac{\partial H}{\partial x'}$$
$$\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x'}=+\sqrt{k_xk_z}\frac{\partial H}{\partial z'}$$
So, by applying this transformation of the independent variables, the equations transform into those for an isotropic formation, with a hydraulic conductivity equal to the geometric mean of the vertical- and horizontal hydraulic conductivities of the anisotropic formation.

Anyway, that's what I would do (and also what I actually have done in solving real-world groundwater problems).

Likes tzx9633
Chestermiller said:
I don't like anything about what your book is doing here. There is really no characteristic length scale in the x direction, because the system is infinite in that direction. In the y direction, a logical characteristic length scale would be the height of the permeable formation, which is not specified in the figure. So talking about length scales here makes no sense to me.

What they are really doing here is using a mapping of the independent variable to transform the differential equation into a mathematically more tractable form. This is not the same as specifying a length scale for the system. I have never seen anyone call it this (before now).

Also, I don't like the transformation they have used. I would have done it much differently. I would have written the following:
$$x=x' \left(\frac{k_x}{k_z}\right)^{1/4}$$
$$z=z' \left(\frac{k_z}{k_x}\right)^{1/4}$$
That would transform the differential equation (more symmetrically) into:
$$\sqrt{k_xk_z}\left(\frac{\partial ^2 H}{\partial z'^2}+\frac{\partial ^2 H}{\partial x'^2}\right)=0$$
The original flow equations, in terms of the stream function and the head are:
$$\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z}=-k_x\frac{\partial H}{\partial x}$$
$$\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}=+k_z\frac{\partial H}{\partial z}$$
Applying our coordinate mapping to these equations yields:
$$\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z'}=-\sqrt{k_xk_z}\frac{\partial H}{\partial x'}$$
$$\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x'}=+\sqrt{k_xk_z}\frac{\partial H}{\partial z'}$$
So, by applying this transformation of the independent variables, the equations transform into those for an isotropic formation, with a hydraulic conductivity equal to the geometric mean of the vertical- and horizontal hydraulic conductivities of the anisotropic formation.

Anyway, that's what I would do (and also what I actually have done in solving real-world groundwater problems).
Hi , can you help me in the following thread ? Thanks in advance !
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/variation-of-pore-pressure-due-to-consolidation.931282/

1. What is anisotropic soil?

Anisotropic soil is a type of soil that has different properties in different directions. This means that the soil properties, such as permeability and conductivity, vary depending on the direction in which they are measured.

2. How does anisotropy affect flow in soil?

Anisotropy can significantly impact the flow of water or other fluids in soil. This is because the varying properties in different directions can create preferential flow paths, resulting in a non-uniform flow pattern.

3. What is horizontal scale calculation in relation to flow in anisotropic soil?

Horizontal scale calculation is the process of determining the horizontal distance over which flow in anisotropic soil can be accurately measured. This is an important factor to consider when analyzing flow in soil, as it can affect the accuracy of the results.

4. How is vertical scale calculation performed for flow in anisotropic soil?

Vertical scale calculation involves determining the vertical distance over which flow in anisotropic soil can be accurately measured. This is often done by taking into account the soil properties and the depth of the soil layer being analyzed.

5. What are some common challenges when calculating horizontal and vertical scales for flow in anisotropic soil?

Some common challenges when calculating horizontal and vertical scales for flow in anisotropic soil include limited data availability, lack of understanding of soil properties, and difficulty in accurately predicting the direction of flow in the soil. It is important to carefully consider these factors and use appropriate methods to ensure accurate scale calculations.