Flow through Interconnected Tubes

In summary, a fictional value for Φ was suggested to calculate pressure loss due to friction. The pressure loss due to friction in both tubes should be taken into account using the average of the results and subtracting the outcome from the total local pressure.
darovmart
Hello all, this is my first post here, so please excuse me if there are any mistakes or important information is left omitted. Now, my problem is quite intricate and specific so I will be thankful for any information I can get. Using Excel, I am looking to model the volume flow of air through two interconnected, parallel tubes with different cross-sectional areas A1 and A2. The flow, represented by arrows, comes from a fan as illustrated in the attached image and is distributed through several openings in the lower tube.

My question is, since air flow follows the path of least resistance, what is the precise flow (preferably in the shape of a formula) through each tube at the point where they are first split up?

Pressure loss from air friction is taken into account using the formula ΔP = 0.5 * (L/D) * ρ * λ * v^2, where:
L = Length of the tube in meters
D = Hydraulic diameter of the tube in meters
ρ = density of air, about 1.2 kg/m^3
λ is the Darcy-Weisbach friction coefficient which is determined using the equation shown in the image, where ε represents the tube's roughness in meters and Re the Reynold's number

The leakage flow through the openings in the lower tube is calculated with the following formula:
ΦLeakage = 0.827 * ALeak * P^1.6
Where:
P = the pressure at the point of the leak in Pascals
ALeak = the surface area of the leak in m^2

Secondly, my partner suggested a fictional value for Φ to calculate the pressure loss due to friction, namely ΦΔP which is equal to Φ - (ΦLeakage/2). I am wondering however, if his suggestion is correct. I would also like to know how the the total pressure loss due to friction in both tubes should be taken into account. Again, my partner suggested taking the average of the results and subtracting the outcome from the total local pressure. Any thoughts?

Again, I would like to thank in advance anyone that will try to help me tackle this problem. Good luck.
Model Representation.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is flow through interconnected tubes?

Flow through interconnected tubes refers to the movement of a fluid or gas through a network of connected tubes or channels. This can occur in various systems such as pipelines, plumbing, and blood vessels.

2. How does flow through interconnected tubes affect the efficiency of a system?

The efficiency of a system depends on the flow rate and pressure of the fluid or gas through the interconnected tubes. If there is too much or too little flow, it can cause problems such as clogs, leaks, and decreased performance.

3. What factors affect the flow through interconnected tubes?

The flow through interconnected tubes is affected by various factors such as the diameter and length of the tubes, the viscosity and density of the fluid or gas, and the pressure and temperature of the system.

4. What is the equation for calculating flow rate through interconnected tubes?

The flow rate through interconnected tubes can be calculated using the equation Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the tubes, and V is the velocity of the fluid or gas.

5. How can the flow through interconnected tubes be controlled or regulated?

The flow through interconnected tubes can be controlled by using valves, pumps, or other flow control devices. These can be adjusted to increase or decrease the flow rate and pressure in the system as needed.