Flux integral over ellipsoidal surface

In summary: Actually, I also got the same answer for (ii). That makes sense since the unit cylinder is the same as (ii).In summary, The divergence theorem is used to solve for the given function and surface enclosed by three parts. The function is ##\vec{u} = (xy,- y^2, + z)## and the boundaries are given as (i) ##z = 0, x^2+y^2 < 1##, (ii) ##x^2+y^2 = 1, 0 \le z \le 1## and (iii) ##\frac{x^2}{b^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}+\frac{z^2
pondzo

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with part iii) of the following problem:

Verify the divergence theorem for the function ##\vec{u} = (xy,- y^2, + z)## and the surface enclosed by the three parts:
(i) ##z = 0, x^2+y^2 < 1##,
(ii) ##x^2+y^2 = 1, 0 \le z \le 1## and
(iii) ##(a^2-1)x^2+(a^2-1)y^2+z^2 = a^2 , 1 \le z \le a, a > 1##.

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem:

##\int_V\vec{ \nabla}\cdot\vec{u}~dV=\oint_{\partial v}\vec{u}\cdot\vec{dS}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The boundaries in iii) describe part of an ellipsoid. Rewrite the equation as follows:
##\frac{x^2}{(\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2-1}})^2}+\frac{y^2}{(\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2-1}})^2}+\frac{z^2}{a^2}=1##

LHS## = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_1^a\int_0^{\frac{z^2-a^2}{1-a^2}}\vec{ \nabla}\cdot\vec{u}~\rho~ d\rho ~dz ~d\theta##
##~~~~ = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_1^a\int_0^{\frac{z^2-a^2}{1-a^2}}\rho - \rho^2\sin{\theta}~ d\rho ~dz ~d\theta##
##~~~~=\frac{4\pi}{1-a^2}##

I think that is correct... maybe someone can check my setup.

I'm stuck with the RHS.. I tried to use cylindrical coordinates and it got ugly quickly, I tried to use generalised spherical coordinates but it got ugly equally as fast. I expect the process to be somewhat ugly, but mine is so much I feel for certain I'm doing something wrong. I'll give a brief overview of my strategy:

For cylindrical coordinates I tried to parameterize it as follows: ##\vec{r}(\theta,z)=(\frac{z^2-a^2}{1-a^2}\cos{\theta},\frac{z^2-a^2}{1-a^2}\sin{\theta},z)##. For starters I am not even sure if this is right. I then get the normal vector to this by computing: ##\vec{n}=\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial \theta}\times\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial z}##. Computing this and normalising i get: ##\hat{n}=\frac{(\cos{\theta},\sin{\theta},\frac{-2z}{1-a^2})}{\sqrt{1+\frac{4z^2}{(1-a^2)}}}##.Plugging all of this into the flux integral looks extremely messy and I don't think I will be able to do the integral. So I abort and resort to spherical coordinates...

For spherical coordinates I tried to parameterize it as follows: ##\vec{r}(\theta,\phi)= (\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2-1}}\sin{\theta}\cos{\phi},\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2-1}}\sin{\theta}\sin{\phi},a\cos{\theta})## and the rest of the story goes like the cylindrical one..Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pondzo said:

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with part iii) of the following problem:

Verify the divergence theorem for the function ##\textbf{V} = xy \textbf{i} - y^2 \textbf{j} + z \textbf{k}## and the surface enclosed by the three parts (i) ##z = 0, s < 1, s^2 = x^2 + y^2##, (ii) ##s = 1, 0 \le z \le 1## and (iii) ##z^2 = a^2 + (1 - a^2)s^2, 1 \le z \le a, a > 1##.

I don't understand your use of ##s##. What is part (ii) ##s = 1, 0 \le z \le 1## supposed to describe?

I find the notation confusing too, this is my lecturers not mine. I assumed ##s^2=x^2+y^2## though out and hence ii) describes a cylinder of radius 1 and height 1.

If part (ii) is supposed to be ##x^2+y^2 = 1,~0\le z \le 1 ## then write it that way. Then while you are at it, write part (iii) out so it makes sense. Is part (i) supposed to be ##0\le x^2 + y^2 \le 1,~z = 0## ?

Apologies, I thought I might have been interpreting it in the wrong way so I left it just in case. I have amended the original post. And yes i) is the unit disk in the xy plane.

OK, that makes more sense. So for part (iii) if you let ##b^2 = \frac{a^2}{a^2-1}## your equation is$$
\frac{x^2}{b^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}+\frac{z^2}{a^2} = 1$$I haven't worked it out, but what I would try is$$
x = b\sin\phi\cos\theta,~y = b\sin\phi\sin\theta,~z = a\cos\phi$$

Edit, added: @pondzo: I realized after I posted this that it is what you tried for generalized spherical coordinates. For what it's worth, I calculated the integral with Maple and got$$
\frac{2\pi}{3}\left(\frac{a^6\sqrt{2a^2-1}}{(a^2-1)(1-2a^2)^2} \right)$$for (iii).

Last edited:

Related to Flux integral over ellipsoidal surface

1. What is a flux integral over an ellipsoidal surface?

A flux integral over an ellipsoidal surface is a mathematical calculation that measures the flow of a vector field through an ellipsoid. It takes into account the surface area and orientation of the ellipsoid to determine the total amount of the vector field passing through the surface.

2. How is a flux integral over an ellipsoidal surface calculated?

A flux integral over an ellipsoidal surface is calculated using the formula ∫∫ F ⋅ n dS, where F is the vector field, n is the unit normal vector to the surface, and dS is the infinitesimal surface area element of the ellipsoid. This integral is evaluated over the entire surface of the ellipsoid.

3. What is the significance of a flux integral over an ellipsoidal surface?

A flux integral over an ellipsoidal surface is significant because it allows us to determine the amount of a vector field that is passing through an ellipsoid. This can be useful in various scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

4. How does the shape of the ellipsoid affect the flux integral?

The shape of the ellipsoid has a significant impact on the flux integral. The surface area and orientation of the ellipsoid determine how much of the vector field is passing through it. In general, a more elongated ellipsoid will have a larger flux integral compared to a less elongated one with the same volume.

5. Can a flux integral over an ellipsoidal surface be negative?

Yes, a flux integral over an ellipsoidal surface can be negative. This indicates that the vector field is passing through the surface in the opposite direction of the unit normal vector. A positive flux integral indicates that the vector field is passing through the surface in the same direction as the unit normal vector.