Flux of a Paraboloid without Parametrization

In summary, the student is seeking help with finding the outward flux of a vector field through the surface of a paraboloid, using a method recommended by their teacher. The student did not parametrize and instead summed the surface integrals of two instances: z = x^2 + y^2 and z = 4. Their final answer was -32pi/3, with a flux of 0 at z = 4, but they suspect they may have made a mistake. They are seeking input and assistance with their solution.
waters

Homework Statement

Find the outward flux of F = <x + z, y + z, xy> through the surface of the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2, 0 ≤ z ≤ 4, including its top disk.

Homework Equations

double integral (-P(∂f/∂x) - Q(∂f/∂y) + R)dA
where the vector F(x,y) = <P, Q, R>
and where z = f(x,y) <-- f(x,y) is the function that undergoes partial differentiaion

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't parametrize. My teacher wanted this method, where sum the surface integrals of two instances: a) when z = x^2 + y^2, and b) z = 4. My final answer was -32pi/3, with the flux at z = 4 being 0. I have a strong feeling I did something wrong but I don't know what. Please help. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
waters said:

Homework Statement

Find the outward flux of F = <x + z, y + z, xy> through the surface of the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2, 0 ≤ z ≤ 4, including its top disk.

Homework Equations

double integral (-P(∂f/∂x) - Q(∂f/∂y) + R)dA
where the vector F(x,y) = <P, Q, R>
and where z = f(x,y) <-- f(x,y) is the function that undergoes partial differentiaion

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't parametrize. My teacher wanted this method, where sum the surface integrals of two instances: a) when z = x^2 + y^2, and b) z = 4. My final answer was -32pi/3, with the flux at z = 4 being 0. I have a strong feeling I did something wrong but I don't know what. Please help. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Why would you say the flux is 0 when z = 4? But in any case, if you have something wrong how are we supposed to help you when you didn't show us your work?

1. What is the flux of a paraboloid without parametrization?

The flux of a paraboloid without parametrization refers to the amount of a vector field that passes through the surface of a paraboloid without using a specific mathematical representation of the surface.

2. How is the flux of a paraboloid without parametrization calculated?

The flux of a paraboloid without parametrization can be calculated using the Gauss's Law for Flux, which states that the flux is equal to the surface integral of the vector field over the surface of the paraboloid.

3. Why is the flux of a paraboloid without parametrization important?

The flux of a paraboloid without parametrization is important because it allows us to calculate the flow of a vector field through a curved surface, which has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Can the flux of a paraboloid without parametrization be negative?

Yes, the flux of a paraboloid without parametrization can be negative. This occurs when the vector field is directed inward, towards the surface of the paraboloid.

5. How does the parametrization of a paraboloid affect its flux?

The parametrization of a paraboloid can affect its flux by changing the orientation and magnitude of the vector field passing through the surface. Different parametrizations can result in different values for the flux of the paraboloid.