Focal length of thin converging lens

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an outdoor security camera with a simple lens and a bird moving away from the lens. The lens has a focal length of 6.00 cm and perfectly focuses the image of the bird onto its detector located 9.00 cm away. The bird then moves away and the new focal distance is 8.00 cm. The question asks for the distance the bird moved and the new magnification. After a discussion on the concept of focal length and focal distance, it is determined that the lens must change in order to maintain a sharp image for different object distances. It is suggested that the lens is actually a 'zoom' lens rather than a 'simple' lens.
Kompewt

Homework Statement

An outdoor security camera has a simple lens with focal object length fo = 6.00 cm and perfectly focuses the image of a bird onto its detector located 9.00 cm away from the lens. The animal then flies away from the lens and the new focal distance is 8.00 cm. (a) How far did the bird move? (b) What is the new magnification?

Homework Equations

$\begin{array}{l}
\[\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{s} + \frac{1}{{s'}}\]
\end{array}$

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my solution:
$\begin{array}{l}
\frac{1}{{{f_0}}} = \frac{1}{s} + \frac{1}{{s'}}\\
\frac{1}{{{s_1}}} = \frac{1}{{{f}}} - \frac{1}{{s'}} = \frac{1}{6} - \frac{1}{9} = \frac{1}{{18}}\\
{s_1} = 18cm\\
\frac{1}{{{s_2}}} = \frac{1}{{{f}}} - \frac{1}{{s'}} = \frac{1}{6} - \frac{1}{8} = \frac{1}{{24}}\\
{s_2} = 24cm\\
\Delta {s_o} = {s_2} - {s_1} = 24cm - 18cm = 6cm
\end{array}$
As my textbook offers limited worked solutions for this topic I have looked around and it seems that the focal length does not change on a 'simple lens', even if it is bi-convex. It is s and s prime that changes. Or am I misunderstanding the initial question? The wording is somewhat vague.

This is the solution I was presented with:

f1= 6.00 cm

s’1 = s’2= 9 cm ( f > s’ >2f ) + image is real, inverted, and reduced (for both)

f2 = 8.00 cm

s1 = ?

s2 = ?

Ds0= s2- s1

A camera should mean a bi-convex lens.
$\begin{array}{l}
\frac{1}{{{f_0}}} = \frac{1}{s} + \frac{1}{{s'}}\\
\frac{1}{{{s_1}}} = \frac{1}{{{f_1}}} - \frac{1}{{s'}} = \frac{1}{6} - \frac{1}{9} = \frac{1}{{18}}\\
{s_1} = 18cm\\
\frac{1}{{{s_2}}} = \frac{1}{{{f_2}}} - \frac{1}{{s'}} = \frac{1}{8} - \frac{1}{9} = \frac{1}{{72}}\\
{s_2} = 72cm\\
\Delta {s_o} = {s_2} - {s_1} = 72cm - 18cm = 54cm
\end{array}$
The bird flew 54 cm or just over half a metre from the camera.

Physics news on Phys.org
For s2, I think the 8 centimeters are supposed to change to 9 cm (so the distance between detector and lens changes). The lens itself does not change.

Focal length and focal distance are different things.

Likes Kompewt
Thanks for the reply mfb.

I think I am also confusing focal length and focal point, but the solution I was given still doesn't make sense to me. If the image remains focused on the detector then the lens must change or the detector-lens distance must change. If the detector-lens distance changes then it would be from 9cm to 8cm because the object distance has definitely changed in the wording of the question.

Kompewt said:

Homework Statement

bea

As my textbook offers limited worked solutions for this topic I have looked around and it seems that the focal length does not change on a 'simple lens', even if it is bi-convex.
Well, you have a good point. A 'simple lens' could not change its focal length.
However, in this problem it must, in order to keep a sharp image for different object distances s1 and s2.
So your 'simple' lens has to be a 'zoom' lens. And I think the problem statement is wrong to call it a 'simple lens'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_lens

Likes Kompewt

1. What is the definition of focal length?

Focal length is the distance between the center of a lens and the point where the light rays converge or diverge after passing through the lens.

2. How is the focal length of a thin converging lens calculated?

The focal length of a thin converging lens can be calculated using the lens equation: 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the object distance, and v is the image distance.

3. What is the relationship between focal length and lens strength?

The focal length and lens strength have an inverse relationship. A shorter focal length indicates a stronger lens, while a longer focal length indicates a weaker lens.

4. How does the thickness of a converging lens affect its focal length?

The thickness of a converging lens has a minimal effect on its focal length. As long as the lens is thin compared to its focal length, the thickness can be ignored in calculations.

5. Can the focal length of a thin converging lens be negative?

Yes, the focal length of a thin converging lens can be negative. A negative focal length indicates that the light rays are diverging after passing through the lens, rather than converging.