(for fun) Any non-perfect square has an irrational 2nd root

In summary, the speaker is attempting to prove that the square root of any non-square number is irrational. They have tried two attempts, with the second one being the valid one. They use proof by contradiction, showing that the assumption that the square root is rational leads to a contradiction. The key is that the prime factorization must be unique. This proves that the square root of a non-square number is irrational.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

I'm trying to see if I can prove that any non-square number's square root is irrational. I'm using only what I already know how to do ( I like trying to prove things myself before looking up the best proof), so it's going to be round-about.

Attempt#1 Eventually required me to proving something that was really the equivalent of the theorem itself, so I deleted it.

Attempt #2:

Let K be a number that is not a perfect square. Assume that sqrt(K) is rational. Then there exists integers n,l such that sqrt(K) = n/l

So
K = n^2/l^2
Kl^2 = n^2

However, since K is not a perfect square, its prime factorization must have at least one prime that occurs an odd number of times (otherwise, you could separate its prime factors into two identical groups, making it a perfect square). Since l^2 is a perfect square, it is guaranteed not to have any primes that occur an odd number of times it its prime factorization. Therefore, the prime factorization of kl^2 still has at least one prime that occurs an odd number of times, namely, the same one(s) that occur in K, since an odd plus an even is always odd.

However, we have noted that it is equal to the perfect square n^2. But since n^2 is a perfect square, it cannot have any factors in its prime factorization that occur an odd number of times, yet we have shown that must have at least one factor in its prime factorization that occurs an odd number of times. This is a contradiction, so our assumption that sqrt(K) is rational cannot be true.

Therefore, sqrt(K) is irrational where K is a non-perfect square.

QED

Valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's valid. I would like to emphasize that it is crucial here that the prime factorization is unique.

1. What is a non-perfect square?

A non-perfect square is any number that does not have a whole number as its square root. In other words, it is a number that cannot be expressed as the product of two equal integers. Examples of non-perfect squares include 2, 5, and 10.

2. What is an irrational 2nd root?

An irrational 2nd root is a number that, when squared, does not result in a whole number. This means that the square root of the number cannot be expressed as a fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimals. Examples of irrational 2nd roots include √2, √5, and √10.

3. Why do non-perfect squares have irrational 2nd roots?

This is because the square root of a non-perfect square cannot be expressed as a fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimals. This results in an irrational number when squared.

4. Can an irrational 2nd root ever be a perfect square?

No, an irrational 2nd root cannot be a perfect square. This is because a perfect square is always a whole number when squared, while an irrational number cannot be expressed as a fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimals.

5. How are irrational 2nd roots useful in science?

Irrational 2nd roots have many practical applications in science, such as in geometry, physics, and engineering. They are used to represent quantities that cannot be expressed as whole numbers, such as the length of a diagonal or the value of a mathematical constant.