For the vast majority of kids, college isn't worth it

In summary, this forum and others where people defend college as "worth it" fall into two categories. Older people who got a degree 2 decades ago or more, and found it easy to get a job. They will usually say they majored in Mathematics, Physics, even something like Philosophy or Forestry, and were able to easily be hired in software, finance, or whatever. Recent STEM grads who went all-out to make college a glorified vocational school. They majored in something like Electrical Engineering and were able to put together a great resume through their group projects in the EE lab, their internship experience at the companies that fund the
No degree - and a life of temporary, low income jobs ... how is that a better option?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chronos said:
No degree - and a life of temporary, low income jobs ... how is that a better option?

To be fair, there are other ways of getting a decent job other than having a college degree. You just severely limit your options by not having a degree. And it can be a LOT harder to get to the same point as someone with a degree. My Dad taught himself everything he knows about computers and programming and makes over 100K a year. But it took him years and years to reach that point and countless hours of studying at home while working 1-2 jobs and raising 4 kids.

Is a "college education" the same thing as "having a degree"?
Those people who drop (or flunk) out have obtained some college education right?
Colleges may award honorary degrees t people without any college education if they want.
Many colleges will have an option to apply for a degree based on work already complete outside of college ...

Anyone who attends college expecting, upon graduation, to just walk into a well paying job is sadly deluded ... but do most people entering college really believe that this will be the case? Maybe they believe, correctly, that doing well in college opens the door to an otherwise unavailable job market (and saying "so I can get a good job" is shorthand for that)? Someone's probably done a survey on this. Anyone looked?

Whether or not something is a waste of time kinda depends on what you think counts as a waste of time... so the question is actually very subjective. Do most college graduands consider their college education to have been a waste of their time? What about those who flunk out of their freshman year? This sounds like something that is likely to have been subject to social science research - has anyone looked?

I think the main positions on this topic have already been adequately spelled out in the previous responses. The way forward is to do the research or find someone who already has - otherwise we are just going in circles.

Simon Bridge said:
How many? Can you back these statements up with peer-reviewed research? Preferably quantitative.

This thread has passed the point where people should be backing up their statements with, you know, science... hasn't it? Any social scientists want to step in here?

Um, for years on end everyone at my high school had it drilled into their heads by guidance counselors that college was the only way to achieve success. It's common knowledge that this occurs in most American suburban high schools. Are you seriously going to claim that this has had no effect on student decisions to go to college? The dropout rate alone suggests that most people who go to college are not prepared for it.

I don't have money to shell out for a peer reviewed paper on the subject, but here's some quantitative analysis for you:

Take 10 high school graduates who go to college. Based on the dropout rate, which is about 50% on average, only 5 of them will graduate. Of those that do graduate, http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/30/us-usa-graduates-jobs-idUSBRE93T0WB20130430 Because I'm generous I'm rounding that down to 40%. So of those 5 that graduated only 3 will get a job in their field. So, that's a success rate of 30% with the rest either being underemployed or saddled with student debt and having no degree.

Now, let's do a risk/reward comparison with another risky activity: Starting a business. The failure rate of startups is 75%. So, that's only 5% higher than the failure rate of going to college. Assuming you do find a job, while the salary might seem high student loan repayments will take quite a bite out of it but even if that's not the case all you have to look forward to is a lifetime of wageslavery. Now let's say you found a startup and are successful, what often happens is the business is sold for millions of dollars.

Therefore based on these averages it is not worth it to go to college for most people. Higher education is a bubble, it won't last.

Chronos said:

If the USA Today is to be believed half of all STEM jobs are held by people without degrees.

There's also more than a few cases of HR departments overemphasizing degrees. Why is it suddenly necessary for an admin assistant to have a bachelor's degree?

aquitaine said:
One of the reasons why is because many people who go to college go because someone else told them to. Just get this magic piece of paper, wave it around and suddenly all your potential employment problems will somehow go away. Except that it doesn't, I've met many people who can't get jobs, not many places are hiring recent graduates. Higher education is a debt fueled bubble just waiting to burst.
Everything in life is a risk/chance. No one should ever think education is a guarantee of success or lack of education is a guarantee of failure. But the reason for getting an education (a useful education) is it gives you the better chance of success.
aquitaine said:
Um, for years on end everyone at my high school had it drilled into their heads by guidance counselors that college was the only way to achieve success.
This is such a common-sense life lesson it is hard for me to fathom people getting it so wrong. If my mother taught me anything, it was that there are no guarantees in life.
It's common knowledge that this occurs in most American suburban high schools. Are you seriously going to claim that this has had no effect on student decisions to go to college?
I don't think I've ever encountered such density on this subject before, no.
The dropout rate alone suggests that most people who go to college are not prepared for it.

Take 10 high school graduates who go to college. Based on the dropout rate, which is about 50% on average, only 5 of them will graduate.
While I would quibble with your slicing of the data (for people entering four-year colleges, the numbers are much better), that doesn't really have anything to do with whether the degree itself has value.
Of those that do graduate, http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/30/us-usa-graduates-jobs-idUSBRE93T0WB20130430
The link doesn't say that. If you're going by the title, the article - oddly - doesn't explain it so it strikes me that the reporter may have misinterpreted data. But if you are talking about "underemployed" and "need more training", neither of those imply not needing a degree.
Because I'm generous I'm rounding that down to 40%. So of those 5 that graduated only 3 will get a job in their field.
Not getting a job in your field is not equivalent to not needing a degree. But like I said before: some degrees are worth more than others and the biggest mistake people make is getting a degree that isn't worth much and/or does not have a lot of available jobs.
So, that's a success rate of 30% with the rest either being underemployed or saddled with student debt and having no degree.
Even setting aside that the timeframe is only two years, your criteria for "success" is flawed because it doesn't compare that case to the alternative.
...but even if that's not the case all you have to look forward to is a lifetime of wageslavery.
What is "wageslavery"?
Now let's say you found a startup and are successful, what often happens is the business is sold for millions of dollars.
"Often"? Exactly what fraction of startups are "sold for millions of dollars"?
Therefore based on these averages it is not worth it to go to college for most people.
"Averages"?? You mean based on the made-up comparison to startups?
Higher education is a bubble, it won't last.
I'm not sure you know what the concept of a "bubble" is about, but could you please explain what you think it means in this context?
If the USA Today is to be believed half of all STEM jobs are held by people without degrees.
Did you read what jobs qualify as STEM jobs? It is pretty broad. So I don't see how that is useful.
There's also more than a few cases of HR departments overemphasizing degrees.
Arguing with them about it isn't going to convince them to hire you.
Why is it suddenly necessary for an admin assistant to have a bachelor's degree?
Because it increases the odds of getting an intelligent/quality employee.

Last edited:
Turion said:
I agree wholeheartedly but the issue is that I'm studying engineering and you're an engineer so there might be some bias. I wonder what others on this forums think regarding this? Disclaimer: our definition of useless is something that isn't marketable or isn't economically viable.
I'm not sure how us being in engineering implies bias. That some majors lead to higher paying jobs and lower unemployment rates than others is just fact.

Simon Bridge said:
A marketing major will likely tell you that everything is marketable, you have to find the right market, and the right marketing strategy.
Gawd, I hope not! The marketing major really should understand that different markets have different sizes so some things are much more marketable than others. No matter how good of a marketteer you are, you will never succeed at selling lifejackets in a desert. Do marketing majors take economics? I sure hope so.
But isn't there an underlying bias here in thinking that it is a "mistake" to pick a major that is unlikely to make money ... assuming that making money is the only reason to study. The need for a good job must, surely, be a parameter in the decision making process and, for many, it will be an important one. But not for everyone.
For what fraction and what is the alternative? I'd wager that there are only three categories of people for whom picking a good major to get a good job is not a significant consideration and the fraction is pretty tiny:

1. People who are independently wealthy and don't intend to ever work.
2. People who attend service academies, where major does not affect career options in the military.
3. Women who go to college so that they can find a husband to support them.
The bottom line is that the student needs to decide, in advance, which course of study will provide what will be important to them some years in the future. This amounts to predicting socio-economic outcomes. Is that a reasonable thing to expect from someone just out of high school that failing to do so would be called a "mistake"?
Yes.

Find your dream or look at the one you have beneath your feet.

This is a subject that I can go both ways on. I feel that everyone is entitled to a college education. However, there are some kids that I don't feel have what it takes. I'm currently in a community college, and the number of students there that really don't care about their education astonishes me. There are a lot of great students there too, but many of them seem to really just be viewing their college education as a means to get a job. They whine constantly about all of their GenEd courses, don't understand why they need to have a working knowledge of basic math, and just generally don't come off as really wanting to be there. I imagine community colleges have more of a problem with that type of mentality than universities do, but it's something that I have observed very widely at my school.

I think society has in many ways taught people that they absolutely HAVE to get a college education in order to be successful in life. There's no denying that a college education will generally result in a higher paying job, and a more successful career, but that's not universal. There are plenty of people that have been incredibly successful in life without a college education.

In either case, I do think everyone deserves the chance to get a college education. In my opinion, few things in life are more satisfying than shedding a little sweat over a course, and coming out on top of it.

A degree is not necessary, IMO. Skills and knowledge of your field will get you there. My last boss fired me for having the temerity to tell him that I saved his company by rebuilding a crap division into one that out-earned the other 3 divisions combined. I wanted to continue to work from home and he refused.

I looked for a labor-lawyer and took him in the past few years of my tax returns. He took the case on a contingency status, with no questions asked. If you can pull in over $200K a year consistently using your knowledge of your field, you'll do OK. Not enough income to live in NYC or southern CT, but it's plenty for Maine. No degree can confer on you the knowledge that comes from years of experience.

BTW, my cousin is one of the top "engineers" for a very large defense corporation. He doesn't have a degree, either, just a certificate from a two-year community college. He is also doing quite well, though he has had to adjust with getting moved all over the world to supervise defense projects. He and his wife and daughter spent over 5 years in Oz, and I loved the digital pics that they sent, especially of vacations in Tasmania.

Last edited:
turbo said:
BTW, my cousin is one of the top "engineers" for a very large defense corporation. He doesn't have a degree, either, just a certificate from a two-year community college. He is also doing quite well, though he has had to adjust with getting moved all over the world to supervise defense projects. He and his wife and daughter spent over 5 years in Oz, and I loved the digital pics that they sent, especially of vacations in Tasmania.

When did your cousin first get this position? How long did he work in the field? How old is he?

I suspect this is an antiquated situation which is not represntative of the engineering job market today.

I don't really think the generalisations made in the OP are credible...

ZombieFeynman said:
When did your cousin first get this position? How long did he work in the field? How old is he?

I suspect this is an antiquated situation which is not represntative of the engineering job market today.
He is two years younger than me, making him 59. Right out of CC, he got a job with a very large defense contractor, programming for an advanced radar system, and they quickly promoted him to manager. He and his young wife spent quite a few years in Oz, so he could do similar work there, and then returned to the US, getting moved around to do other defense-work, including designing electronics/sonar/radar for subs.

Last edited by a moderator: