Force between particles in nucleus

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of calculating the minimum repulsive electrostatic force between two protons in the nucleus of a zinc atom. The approach involved considering the maximum distance between the protons, which was determined to be the diameter of the nucleus. There was initial confusion about accounting for all the other protons, but it was clarified that the question only asked for the force between the two protons in question.
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

The nucleus of a zinc atom has 30 protons and 35 neutrons, and a diameter of 4.00 x 10^-13 m.
What is the minimum repulsive electrostatic force between two protons in the nucleus.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to approach this. I understand that the minimum force will be when these protons are furthest apart. How do I calculate the maximum distance between the protons in the nucleus?
Using Electrostatic Force = -DeltaPotentialEnergy/distance?

I can calculate the spherical area of the nucleus, and calculate the number density of the protons, but I don't see how this helps. I could use ElectricalPotentialEnegy = q1q2/(4pi perm0 r) and use the known charge of a proton, but I still have two unknowns (r and Potential Energy).
Any ideas?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be overthinking this problem.

Imagine two particles are confined to be within a sphere of diameter D. How far apart can the two particles get?

Well, I see what you're saying for two particles. But if two protons in the zinc nucleus experience a repulsive force as a result of being at either end (maximum distance apart), then what about the repulsive force as a result of all of the other protons? How can I just ignore that?

Forget it - I've just realized that the question is only asking for the force between the two protons in question...
Thanks for your help.

What is the force between particles in the nucleus?

The force between particles in the nucleus is known as the strong nuclear force. It is responsible for holding the nucleus together and is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

How does the force between particles in the nucleus differ from other forces?

The force between particles in the nucleus is much stronger than the force of gravity, but it has a very short range and only affects particles that are very close together. It is also different from the electromagnetic force, which can both attract and repel particles.

What particles experience the force in the nucleus?

The force between particles in the nucleus affects all particles that make up the nucleus, including protons and neutrons. It also plays a role in interactions between protons and neutrons, as well as the formation of heavier elements.

How is the force between particles in the nucleus calculated?

The force between particles in the nucleus is calculated using the strong nuclear force equation, which takes into account the distance between particles and the strong nuclear force constant. This calculation is complex and requires advanced mathematical models.

What is the role of the force between particles in the nucleus in nuclear reactions?

The force between particles in the nucleus plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions, such as fission and fusion. These reactions involve the breaking apart or combining of nuclei, and the strong nuclear force is responsible for the stability and binding energy of the resulting nuclei.