Force of a wire induced by earth magnetic field

In summary, the power cable for an electric trolley carrying a horizontal current of 330 A towards the east experiences a magnetic force due to the Earth's magnetic field with a strength of 5.0 x 10^-5 T and an angle of dip of 24°. Using the formula F=BILsinΘ, the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on a 20 m length of this cable is calculated to be F= 5.0 x 10^-5 x 20 x 330 x sin 90°, with a direction of 66° above the horizontal towards the north. The B field has a vertically downward component and a horizontal component towards the north, and the angle of dip is not related
R2D2

Homework Statement

The power cable for an electric trolley (see figure) carries a horizontal current of 330 A toward the east. The Earth's magnetic field has a strength 5.0 ✕ 10-5 T and makes an angle of dip of24° at this location. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on a 20 m length of this cable.
27-p-075.gif

Homework Equations

F=BILsinΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the question means there B and I form a 24° angle, so I tried F= 5.0 x 10^-5 x 20 x 330 x sin 24°. However, it seems that the answer is F=BILsin90, and the direction of the magnetic force is 66 above the horizontal towards the north. How can a magnetic force not perpendicular to the plane of B and I? I am really confused. Please help me here, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Note that the current is toward the east.

How is this direction related to the direction of B?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

This is where I got confused.
So the current is toward east, and the direction of B is towards the northeast, and the angle is 24. So B and I form a angle of 66. - That's how I interpret the angle of dip. Is this wrong?

The B field is not northeast. The B field has a vertically downward component and a horizontal component (parallel to the ground). The horizontal component is toward the north. Looking at the picture, you are facing north as the current flows east. The B field has a horizontal component into the picture and also a vertical component from the top of the picture toward the bottom of the picture.

Got it! Thank you so much.

What is the force of a wire induced by Earth's magnetic field?

The force of a wire induced by Earth's magnetic field is a phenomenon that occurs when an electric current flows through a wire in the presence of Earth's magnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force, which causes the wire to experience a sideways force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the moving charges in the wire. The magnitude of this force depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the wire, and the length of the wire in the magnetic field.

How is the direction of the force determined?

The direction of the force on a wire induced by Earth's magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, then the force on the wire will be in the direction perpendicular to both your thumb and fingers.

What is the significance of the force of a wire induced by Earth's magnetic field?

The force of a wire induced by Earth's magnetic field is significant because it is the basis for many important technologies, such as electric motors and generators. It also helps to explain the behavior of charged particles in the Earth's atmosphere, such as the auroras.

How can the force of a wire induced by Earth's magnetic field be calculated?

The force of a wire induced by Earth's magnetic field can be calculated using the equation F = ILB, where F is the force in Newtons, I is the current in amperes, L is the length of the wire in meters, and B is the strength of the magnetic field in teslas. This equation is known as the Lorentz force law.

Can the force of a wire induced by Earth's magnetic field be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the force of a wire induced by Earth's magnetic field can be controlled and manipulated by changing the current flowing through the wire or by altering the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This is the underlying principle behind devices such as electromagnets and particle accelerators.