Force of atoms in different molecules?

In summary, Giancoli gives the distance between the O in thymine and the N in adenine atoms as 2.80 angstrom. This means the OH distance is 1.80 angstrom, which gives the required answer.
Ukitake Jyuushirou
Hello

In DNA, thymine and adenine molecules are attracted to each other. The solid lines show bonds between atoms in the same molecule and the dotted line shows bonds between atoms in different molecules. Atoms in the same molecule are separated by 1e-10 m. If the net charge on the H and N atoms is 0.2e and the net charge on the O atom is 0.4e, what is the force between the H and O atoms in different molecules?

my workings:
charge for H atom = 0.2 X (1.6e-19)
= 3.2e-20 C

charge for O atom = 0.4 X (1.6e-19)
= 6.4e-20 C

k = 9e9 Nm^2/C^2

I need to work out the distance between the O and H before i can work out the force. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
Hello

Atoms in the same molecule are separated by 1e-10 m. I
f the net charge on the H and B atoms is 0.2eV(!) and the net charge on the O atom is 0.4eV(!), what is the force between the H and O atoms in different molecules?

k = 9e9 Nm^2/C^2

I need to work out the distance between the O and H before i can work out the force. Can someone point me in the right direction?

use the law of Coulomb:

[tex]
F_{el} = f \frac {Q_1Q_2} {r^2}
[/tex]

everything is given.

Last edited:
sdekivit said:
use the law of Coulomb: Fel = f * qQ/r^2

everything is given.
i thought so too but the correct ans according to the book is 5.7e-10 N but my ans i got is 1.8e-9

Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
i thought so too but the correct ans according to the book is 5.7e-10 N but my ans i got is 1.8e-9

i think you need the figure to get to know the distance between H and O in the AT-bridge in the DNA (thus not in 1 single molecule)

In you first message i hope you mean the N atoms (not the B atoms). Maybe you should do something with that ;)

The answer for the [tex]F_{el}[/tex] between O and H in the same molecule is correct though, but it's not what is asked here.

Last edited:
sdekivit said:
i think you need the figure to get to know the distance between H and O in the AT-bridge in the DNA (thus not in 1 single molecule)

In you first message i hope you mean the N atoms (not the B atoms). Maybe you should do something with that ;)

The answer for the [tex]F_{el}[/tex] between O and H in the same molecule is correct though, but it's not what is asked here.
done.

basically its asking for the force of attraction between H and O atoms which are not on the same molecule.

I think you're going to have to wait till the attachment gets approved before you get any more help.

I'm not really sure about distances in a DNA molecule but like others have said i'd just use the 1x10-10 intermolecular distance that was given above. It will provide a good enough approximation.

Kurdt said:
I'm not really sure about distances in a DNA molecule but like others have said i'd just use the 1x10-10 intermolecular distance that was given above. It will provide a good enough approximation.
i did, but the answer isn't correct. the book says the ans should be 5.7e-10 N. my answer of 1.8e-9 doesn't even come close to that.

Hmm that's strange that they did not include basic information as to how far apart they are. Well if you work backwards the separation should be 1.8x10-10m. Are you sure there was no other information given with the question?

Kurdt said:
Hmm that's strange that they did not include basic information as to how far apart they are. Well if you work backwards the separation should be 1.8x10-10m. Are you sure there was no other information given with the question?
nope...only the ans is given

5.7e-10 N

Kurdt said:

that was my point too ... :confused:

Giancoli gives the distance between the O in thymine and the N in adenine atoms as 2.80 angstrom. This means the OH distance is 1.80 angstrom , which gives the required answer.

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
Giancoli gives the distance between the O in thymine and the N in adenine atoms as 2.80 angstrom. This means the OH distance is 1.80 angstrom , which gives the required answer.
oh yea...damn i forgot all about it. i thought I'm suppose to find the distance with what is given :redface: thanks :smile:

What is the force of atoms in different molecules?

The force of atoms in different molecules refers to the interactions between atoms within a molecule and between different molecules. These forces are responsible for the structure and properties of molecules.

How do atoms interact in a molecule?

Atoms interact through various types of chemical bonds, such as covalent, ionic, and hydrogen bonds. These bonds are formed when atoms share, gain, or lose electrons to achieve a stable outer electron configuration.

How does the force of atoms affect the properties of molecules?

The force of atoms can affect the properties of molecules in various ways. For example, strong covalent bonds can make a molecule more stable and less reactive, while weak hydrogen bonds can make a molecule more flexible and easily breakable.

Can the force of atoms be manipulated?

Yes, the force of atoms can be manipulated through various methods such as changing the temperature, pressure, or chemical environment. This can alter the strength of chemical bonds and affect the properties of molecules.

How does the force of atoms play a role in chemical reactions?

The force of atoms plays a crucial role in chemical reactions as it determines the stability of reactants and products. Chemical reactions occur when the force of atoms in the reactants is different from that in the products, leading to the formation of new molecules.