Potential Energy between molecules

In summary, the electric potential energy of the adenine–thymine bond is greater than the potential energy of the proton–electron pair in the hydrogen atom.
Pi Face

Homework Statement

The two sides of the DNA double helix are connected by pairs of bases (adenine, thymine, cytosine, and guanine). Because of the geometric shape of these molecules, adenine bonds with thymine and cytosine bonds with guanine. The figure shows the thymine–adenine bond. Each charge shown is +/- e and the H-N distance is 0.110 nm.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/236ir.jpg/

1)
Calculate the electric potential energy of the adenine–thymine bond. To keep the calculations fairly simple, yet reasonable, consider only the electric field due to the and the combinations, assuming that these two combinations are parallel to each other. Remember, however, that in the set, the exerts a force on both the and the and likewise along the set.

2)
Compare this energy with the potential energy of the proton–electron pair in the hydrogen atom. The electron in the hydrogen atom is 0.0529 from the proton.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part 1, U=kq1q2/r

But what do I take the potential energy of? Every combination of the 6 charges? How do I know what r is in between the OHN and NHN? I know the distances between charges for each charge in OHN, and for each charge in NHN, but not between the two.

For part 2, I have less of a clue because it requires using the answer to part 1 (answer to part 1 divided by U_hydrogen)

So for the potential energy of hydrogen, I assume I use +q and -q as the two charges, and 0.0529nm as r?

I've already done all the other HW problems because they were straightforward, but when they throw chemistry into the mix I get confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone even have an idea of how I could approach this problem? If i was simply dealing with a system of 3 charges on a line, would I find the potential energy by adding the 3 possible potential energies together? (kq1q2/r, kq1q3/r, kq2q3/r)?

bump =(

1. What is potential energy between molecules?

Potential energy between molecules is the energy stored within a system of molecules due to their relative positions and orientations. It is a form of energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, and is essential for the functioning of many biological and physical processes.

2. How is potential energy between molecules calculated?

The potential energy between molecules is calculated using the intermolecular potential energy function, which takes into account the distance between molecules, the types of atoms involved, and the strength of the intermolecular forces. This function is based on the laws of thermodynamics and can be solved mathematically to determine the potential energy between molecules.

3. What factors affect the potential energy between molecules?

There are several factors that can affect the potential energy between molecules, including the distance between molecules, the types of atoms involved, and the strength of intermolecular forces. Temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules in the system can also influence the potential energy between molecules.

4. How does potential energy between molecules contribute to chemical reactions?

Potential energy between molecules plays a crucial role in chemical reactions by determining the stability of molecules and determining whether a reaction will occur. Molecules with high potential energy are more likely to react and form more stable products, while molecules with low potential energy may be less reactive or require an input of energy to initiate a reaction.

5. Can potential energy between molecules be changed?

Yes, potential energy between molecules can be changed by altering the distance between molecules, changing the types of atoms involved, or by applying external forces such as heat or pressure. Chemical reactions also involve changes in potential energy, as molecules are rearranged and new bonds are formed or broken.