Force of Friction w/o Coefficient of Friction Given

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the force of friction between a box (M1) on a table and another box (M2) attached to a rope hanging from a massless pulley. The masses of M1 and M2 are given as 4.78kg and 3.26kg, respectively. The downward speed of M2 when it has fallen through a distance of 0.396m is 1.29 m/s and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8. The conversation also mentions finding the acceleration and tension force, but is unsure of how to proceed.
stehat
I am having trouble determining what the force of friction of the box on a table described as below:

Two blocks are arranged at the ends of a massless string. M1 is on the table. M2 is attached to another side of the rope hanging off of the side of a table with a massless pulley (90 degrees from the table).

M1= 4.78KG
M2 = 3.26 KG

When M2 has fallen through .396m, its downward speed is 1.29 m/s. Acceleration of gravity is 9.8. What is the frictional force between M1 and the table?

My first step was to find the acceleration with I figured to be 4.202. (By taking the acceleration formula A=V2-V1/T2-T1. I figured the time in this formula by using the velocity formula and solved for T.

My next step was to figure out the tension force which I think is where I am getting confused on where to go. I want to find the Tension force and subtract that from the Net force to find the force of friction, but I am having difficulty determining the net force an now I am not so sure I am figuring out the tension force correctly.

I am calculating the Tension force by taking T=M2(-A)+M2(9.8). Can you please help me finish?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi stehat! welcome to pf! :smile:

(btw, always use a small "t" for time, so as not to confuse with tension :wink:)
stehat said:
My first step was to find the acceleration with I figured to be 4.202. (By taking the acceleration formula A=V2-V1/T2-T1. I figured the time in this formula by using the velocity formula and solved for T.

i don't follow this: what formula did you use? :confused:
I am calculating the Tension force by taking T=M2(-A)+M2(9.8).

yes, M2a = M2g - T …

now do a similar F = Ma equation for the other block :smile:

Related to Force of Friction w/o Coefficient of Friction Given

1. What is force of friction?

The force of friction is the resistance to motion that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces and the interlocking of these irregularities.

2. How is force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force that is perpendicular to the surface of contact between two objects. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force applied by the object on the surface.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it determines the strength of the force of friction between two surfaces. It is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are and can vary depending on the materials and conditions.

5. Can the force of friction exist without a coefficient of friction?

No, the force of friction cannot exist without a coefficient of friction. The coefficient of friction is a necessary factor in calculating the force of friction between two surfaces. Without it, the force of friction cannot be accurately determined.