Force of a parachute on parachutist

In summary, a parachutist of mass 65 kg jumps out of a plane and deploys a chute. When the chute opens, she slows down from 80km/h to 10km/h in 0.8s. The net force of the parachute on her shoulders at that time is 2200 N, assuming that up is positive and using positive values for velocity. This means the acceleration is also positive, and therefore the net force must also be positive. It is important to pay attention to the direction of acceleration when determining the direction of the net force.
testme

Homework Statement

A parachutist of mass 65 kg jumps out of a plane deploys a chute.
When the chute opens, she slows down from 80km/h to 10km/h in 0.8s. What is the foce of the chute on her shoulders at that time?

m = 65 kg
v1 = 80km/h → 22 m/s
v2 = 10 km/h → 2.8 m/s
change in time = 0.8 s

Homework Equations

a = v/t
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

We're assuming that up is positive.
I used to sig figs for all my values.

First we need to find the acceleration

a = v/t
a = (2.8 - 22)/0.8
a = -24 m/s^2

Let Fp = force of the parachute

Fnet = ma
Fg + Fp = ma
-640 + Fp = (65)(-24)
-640 + Fp = -1560
Fp = -1560 + 640
Fp = -920 N

I'm confused as to what I'm doing wrong. My teacher told us the answer should be about 2200 N and that would be positive while my answer is turning out completely off and negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
testme said:

Homework Statement

A parachutist of mass 65 kg jumps out of a plane deploys a chute.
When the chute opens, she slows down from 80km/h to 10km/h in 0.8s. What is the foce of the chute on her shoulders at that time?

m = 65 kg
v1 = 80km/h → 22 m/s
v2 = 10 km/h → 2.8 m/s
change in time = 0.8 s

Homework Equations

a = v/t
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

We're assuming that up is positive.
I used to sig figs for all my values.

First we need to find the acceleration

a = v/t
a = (2.8 - 22)/0.8
a = -24 m/s^2
by using positive values for v, you have assumed down is positive and up is negative
Let Fp = force of the parachute

Fnet = ma
Fg + Fp = ma
-640 + Fp = (65)(-24)
-640 + Fp = -1560
Fp = -1560 + 640
Fp = -920 N
since the acceleration is up, the net force must be up; thus, Fp > Fg. Correct your plus and minus signs.
I'm confused as to what I'm doing wrong. My teacher told us the answer should be about 2200 N and that would be positive while my answer is turning out completely off and negative.
Net force is always in the direction of the acceleration.

Okay, so then I changed the velocity values to negatives. That in turn made the acceleration a positive and then following through with

Fnet = ma
Fg + Fp = ma
-640 + Fp = (65)(24)
Fp = 2200 N

What is the force of a parachute on a parachutist?

The force of a parachute on a parachutist is known as the drag force. It is the force resisting the motion of the parachutist as they fall through the air.

How is the force of a parachute on a parachutist calculated?

The force of a parachute on a parachutist is calculated using the formula Fd = 1/2 * Cd * ρ * A * v^2, where Fd is the drag force, Cd is the drag coefficient, ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the parachute, and v is the velocity of the parachutist.

What factors affect the force of a parachute on a parachutist?

The force of a parachute on a parachutist is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the parachute, the weight of the parachutist, the air density, and the speed of descent.

Why is the force of a parachute on a parachutist important to consider?

The force of a parachute on a parachutist is important to consider because it determines the rate of descent and the landing of the parachutist. If the force is too great, it can lead to a hard landing or even injury.

Can the force of a parachute on a parachutist be controlled?

Yes, the force of a parachute on a parachutist can be controlled by adjusting the size, shape, and materials of the parachute, as well as the weight of the parachutist. Proper training and techniques can also help to control the force and ensure a safe landing.