Force on a test charge due to two point charges?

In summary: And I thank you as well, for your help. Your method of tutoring is very effective. I should try it out myself.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Let there be two point charges ##q_1=3.5μC## and ##q_2=-3.5μC## located at ##(0,0.3 m)## and ##(0,-0.3 m)## respectively. What force do these two charges exert on a test charge ##Q=4.5μC## at ##(0.4 m,0)##?"

*title should read "due to two point charges"* <Moderator's note: title edited>

Homework Equations

mTQAaE8.png

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, ##∑F_x=0## because the two point charges cancel each other out in the x-direction. Now I calculate ##∑F_y=2F_y##.

##F_y=k\frac{q_1⋅Q}{y^2}=(9.0N_{10^9}⋅m^2⋅C^{-2})(\frac{3.5μC⋅4.5μC}{(0.3m)^2})##
##F_y=(9.0N_{10^{3}}⋅m^2⋅C^{-2})(\frac{15.75C^2}{0.09m^2})=1575000N##
##∑F_y=3200000N##

I am not sure what I'm doing wrong, here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"Let there be two point charges ##q_1=3.5μC## and ##q_2=-3.5μC## located at ##(0,0.3 m)## and ##(0,-0.3 m)## respectively. What force do these two charges exert on a test charge ##Q=4.5μC## at ##(0.4 m,0)##?"

*title should read "due to two point charges"*

Homework Equations

View attachment 209636

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, ##∑F_x=0## because the two point charges cancel each other out in the x-direction. Now I calculate ##∑F_y=2F_y##.

##F_y=k\frac{q_1⋅Q}{y^2}=(9.0N_{10^9}⋅m^2⋅C^{-2})(\frac{3.5μC⋅4.5μC}{(0.3m)^2})##
##F_y=(9.0N_{10^{3}}⋅m^2⋅C^{-2})(\frac{15.75C^2}{0.09m^2})=1575000N##
##∑F_y=3200000N##

I am not sure what I'm doing wrong, here.
You used a wrong equation for the y component of the Coulomb force. What is the correct form?
And μC is 10-6 C, not 10-3.

ehild said:
What is the correct form?

Let me retry this... Is it ##F_y=k⋅(\frac{q_1⋅Q}{x^2+y^2})⋅(\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}})##? I want to see if I got the formula right before plugging in any numbers...

Eclair_de_XII said:
Let me retry this... Is it ##F_y=k⋅(\frac{q_1⋅Q}{x^2+y^2})⋅(\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}})##? I want to see if I got the formula right before plugging in any numbers...
What are x and y?
Your formula is valid in general for the force between a charge at the origin and an other one at point (x,y). Remember, the Coulomb force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point charges. As one coordinate of each charge is zero, your formula might work.

ehild said:
What are x and y?

I'm going to set them to ##x=\frac{2}{5}m## and ##y=\frac{3}{10}m##.

Eclair_de_XII said:
I'm going to set them to ##x=\frac{2}{5}m## and ##y=\frac{3}{10}m##.
It will result in correct magnitude.

Well, it doesn't matter what sign ##x## is, but I think it would be more accurate if I set ##y=-\frac{3}{10}m## since the force on the test charge is directed at a 270 degree angle.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Well, it doesn't matter what sign ##x## is, but I think it would be more accurate if I set ##y=-\frac{3}{10}m## since the force on the test charge is directed at a 270 degree angle.
OK, and how much is it?

Let's see...

##F_y=k⋅(y)(\frac{q_1⋅Q}{(x^2+y^2)^\frac{3}{2}})=(9⋅10^9N⋅m^2⋅C^{-2})(-\frac{3}{10}m)\frac{(3.5C)(4.5C)}{(0.5m)^3}⋅(10^{-12})=(9)(10^{-3})(-\frac{3}{10})⋅\frac{15.75}{0.125}=(10^{-3})(-\frac{27}{10})(8)(\frac{63}{4})=-0.34N##

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not? I kind of jumped the gun and can't enter the answer into my online homework module anymore...

Last edited:
Well, thanks for your help @ehild . It really is a better experience learning with other people than with myself. Anyway, even though I screwed myself out of one-eighths of my homework grade, I'm still grateful that I at least started to learn how to do these electrostatic problems more efficiently. Unfortunately, it won't be reflected in my homework grade. But I guess homework is more for learning stuff by practice than for my grade...

Eclair_de_XII said:
Let's see...

##F_y=k⋅(y)(\frac{q_1⋅Q}{(x^2+y^2)^\frac{3}{2}})=(9⋅10^9N⋅m^2⋅C^{-2})(-\frac{3}{10}m)\frac{(3.5C)(4.5C)}{(0.5m)^3}⋅(10^{-12})=(9)(10^{-3})(-\frac{3}{10})⋅\frac{15.75}{0.125}=(10^{-3})(-\frac{27}{10})(8)(\frac{63}{4})=-0.34N##

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not? I kind of jumped the gun and can't enter the answer into my online homework module anymore...
this is the force of one point charge. But you have two of them.

So... ##∑F_y=-0.68N##?

Eclair_de_XII said:
So... ##∑F_y=-0.68N##?
Looks right to me.

Thanks.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on a test charge due to two point charges?

The formula for calculating the force on a test charge due to two point charges is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two point charges, and r is the distance between the two point charges.

2. How do the magnitudes of the two point charges affect the force on the test charge?

The force on the test charge is directly proportional to the magnitudes of the two point charges. This means that as the magnitudes of the two point charges increase, the force on the test charge will also increase. Similarly, if the magnitudes decrease, the force on the test charge will decrease.

3. How does the distance between the two point charges affect the force on the test charge?

The force on the test charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two point charges. This means that as the distance between the two point charges increases, the force on the test charge decreases. On the other hand, if the distance decreases, the force on the test charge will increase.

4. Can the direction of the force on the test charge change?

Yes, the direction of the force on the test charge can change depending on the relative positions and magnitudes of the two point charges. If the two point charges have the same sign, the force will be repulsive and the direction will be away from the charges. If the two point charges have opposite signs, the force will be attractive and the direction will be towards the charges.

5. How is the force on the test charge affected if a third point charge is introduced?

The force on the test charge will be affected by the presence of a third point charge, as it will interact with the other two point charges. The magnitude and direction of the force will depend on the relative positions and magnitudes of all three point charges.