Forces, elevator, acceleration -- I have the answer, just explain it....

In summary, when a 45-kg person steps on a scale in an elevator and the scale reads a steady 480 N, there could be more than one correct choice for the elevator's movement. The elevator could be accelerating upward at a constant rate (as suggested by F=ma), or it could be stationary or moving at a constant speed in either direction (as suggested by Fg=mg). From the given information, we cannot determine the elevator's velocity.
PhysicsStudent1

Homework Statement

When a 45-kg person steps on a scale in an elevator, the scale reads a steady 480 N. Which of the following statements must be true? There could be more than one correct choice.
a) The elevator is accelerating upward at a constant rate
b) The elevator is moving downward at a constant rate
c) The elevator is moving upward at a constant rate
d) The elevator is accelerating downward at a constant rate
e) From the given information, we cannot tell if the elevator is moving up or down

Homework Equations

F = ma
Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equation, I know that the Fg is (45)(9.8) = 441.
I think the answer is a. But my textbook says that it is both A and E. Can someone help explain why? Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsStudent1 said:
I think the answer is a. But my textbook says that it is both A and E. Can someone help explain why?
Hint: "moving up or down" refers to velocity, not acceleration. What's the difference?

Likes PhysicsStudent1
oh ok gotcha thank you :)

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate or change its state of motion.

2. How does an elevator work?

An elevator works by using a motor and a pulley system to lift and lower a cab attached to a counterweight. When the motor turns, it pulls on the cable attached to the cab, causing it to move up or down.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

4. How do forces affect acceleration?

Forces can either increase or decrease an object's acceleration. If the force is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will cause the object to speed up. If the force is in the opposite direction, it will cause the object to slow down.

5. Why does an elevator feel like it's accelerating when it starts or stops?

When an elevator starts or stops, the velocity of the cab changes, causing a change in acceleration. This change in acceleration is felt as a force pushing or pulling on our bodies, making it feel like the elevator is accelerating.