Forces on a Block and Friction on a Surface

In summary, a 2.5 kg block is initially at rest on a horizontal surface. A horizontal force of magnitude 5.8 N and a vertical force are then applied to the block. The coefficients of friction for the block and surface are μs = 0.43 and μk = 0.24. The block will move if the magnitude of the applied horizontal force is greater than the coefficient of friction.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg block is initially at rest on a horizontal surface. A horizontal force
Farrowitalic.gif
of magnitude 5.8 N and a vertical force
Parrowitalic.gif
are then applied to the block. The coefficients of friction for the block and surface are μs = 0.43 and μk = 0.24.
(a) Determine the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the block if the magnitude of
Parrowitalic.gif
is 8.0 N.

Homework Equations

F_friction = Mu*F_normal

The Attempt at a Solution

I really need help with this one, because I don't understand why I get a wrong answer.
Firstly, the net force in the y direction is 0. So F_g = P + F_N.
Then F_N = F_g - P = 2.5 * 9.8 - 8 = 16.5 N
Then since (I believe) the block is stationary, we use μs = 0.43, and so F_f = 0.43 * 16.5 =7.095.
Satisfied with my answer, I put this in the webassign, but it won't accept this as the correct answer. Where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• Farrowitalic.gif
    Farrowitalic.gif
    80 bytes · Views: 534
  • Parrowitalic.gif
    Parrowitalic.gif
    125 bytes · Views: 524
  • Parrowitalic.gif
    Parrowitalic.gif
    125 bytes · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula ##f_s = \mu_s N## gives the maximum possible value for the static friction force. (It would be better to write the formula as ##f_s^{\rm max} = \mu_s N##.)

The static friction force in your situation need not be at its maximum possible value.

Likes Merlin3189
@TSny — so does that mean the WebAssign's looking for an answer that's like say, 7, rather than 7.095?

update: no, what I said above isn't right bc I checked... but how else should I interpret your hint?

TSny said:
It would be better to write the formula as ##f_s^{\rm max} = \mu_s N##.
The form I use is ##|F_s|≤\mu_s|N|##. This emphasises that the direction of the frictional force is not dictated by the equation.

Likes TSny
@haruspex @TSny —Oh so since the maximum frictional force is 7.095N, but the other horizontal force being applied is 5.8 N, would the answer be 5.8 N?

JessicaHelena said:
how else should I interpret your hint?
The relevant equation you quoted is incorrect. See either of the forms in posts 2 and 4.
Consider this: if the applied horizontal force is 5.8N and the frictional force in the other direction is 7N, what will happen to the block?

JessicaHelena said:
@haruspex @TSny —Oh so since the maximum frictional force is 7.095N, but the other horizontal force being applied is 5.8 N, would the answer be 5.8 N?
Yes.

@haruspex @TSny — thank you! Can I ask another question though?

(c) Determine the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the block if the magnitude of
Parrowitalic.gif
is 12.0 N.

So now that yields a maximum friction of 0.43*(2.5*9.8 - 12) = 5.375 N, which is less than the horizontal force F=5.8N. Then it's going to move right off the bat, right? How should I answer this?

Attachments

• Parrowitalic.gif
    Parrowitalic.gif
    125 bytes · Views: 193
JessicaHelena said:
Then it's going to move right off the bat, right?
Yes, but I am uncertain how to answer this part. It depends whether it means just before it starts moving or after it has started moving. My guess is they want the second.

What is the definition of force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate, change direction, or deform.

What are the types of forces that act on a block?

The types of forces that act on a block are gravitational force, normal force, frictional force, applied force, and tension force.

How does friction on a surface affect the motion of a block?

Friction on a surface can either oppose or facilitate the motion of a block. When the frictional force is in the direction opposite to the motion of the block, it can slow down or stop the block. On the other hand, when the frictional force is in the same direction as the motion of the block, it can help the block move or maintain a constant speed.

What factors affect the amount of friction on a surface?

The amount of friction on a surface is affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

How can the coefficient of friction be calculated?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and has no units.