Foreigner want to apply for a master (Physics) in Canada or France

In summary, the individual is a French-Canadian studying physics in Argentina and is planning to move to Canada or France to pursue a master's degree after obtaining their first diploma. They are unsure of the admission criteria and whether their diploma will be enough. In Canada, each graduate school has its own criteria and some programs may accept students directly into a Ph.D. program or into a master's program with the possibility of transferring into a Ph.D. program later on. The individual is happy to take their time to understand the material and is aware that some universities may require the physics GRE exam for international students. They will have to be accepted by the university first and then the specific department for their desired program. More information can be found on the department
fluidistic
Gold Member
I have a question. I'm French-Canadian but living and studying in Argentina. I'm currently studying physics at university, doing my 1st/2nd year there. In order to get the first diploma the course lasts 5 years (it's about 25 matters and a special work on the last year). From it you can apply for a doctorate without even passing by a master. (In Argentina, that is).
So I'm planning to get the first diploma and then come to Canada (Montréal) or France, in order to apply for a master (because in Argentina there isn't that much choices for a doctorate). I'd like to know what are the criteria for admission. Would my diploma be enough? Have I to pass an exam? Are my grades important? What if I'm having trouble getting the diploma in 5 years, but I do it in 7 years?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In Canada each graduate school has its own criteria for admissions. In general the GRE is not required and you are evaluated on your undergraduate performance. You would have to contact the specific departments you are interested in attending to see whether or not they will accept work done at your current school and how it will be weighted. The time taken to do the degree is generally not a factor.

Some programs will accept you directly into a Ph.D. program. Others will accept you into a master's program, with the possibility of transferring directly into a Ph.D. program after your first year or so. I would recommend the latter route. In the event that you don't like the program or your project you can get out with something to show for it a lot sooner.

The time taken to do the degree is generally not a factor.
Does that mean I'm better take my time and get good grades than rush and getting average grades? If so, then I'm happy. I'll take more time to have a better understanding of the physics teached.
Another question, when you said
In Canada each graduate school has its own criteria for admissions.
, did you meant each university?
Others will accept you into a master's program, with the possibility of transferring directly into a Ph.D. program after your first year or so.
Sounds nice.
From now... all I have to do is to study very hard. :smile:

Some Canadian universities require the physics GRE for students who have done their undergraduate work outside Canada. The admission requirements are posted on each department's website - so have a look around.

fluidistic said:
Does that mean I'm better take my time and get good grades than rush and getting average grades? If so, then I'm happy. I'll take more time to have a better understanding of the physics teached.
I think the issue for most people is that they don't want to spend extra years in undergrad, living the starving student life. Even though grad-students don't make a lot of money they can for the most part break even. (It's a little harder for foreign students - the tuition is significantly higher). But if that's an option for you, it shouldn't hinder your application.

Further, to get into a graduate program you have to be accepted by the university first, and then the department that has the program you want. The standards vary from school to school and obviously within a university different programs have different standards as well. Like Oedipa Maas said - go to the website of the department you're interested in and they should have all the information you're looking for.

Ok, thank your for the answers. I'll check it out more in details when I'll be closer to get my diploma.

Related to Foreigner want to apply for a master (Physics) in Canada or France

1. What are the general requirements for applying to a master's program in Physics in Canada or France?

The specific requirements may vary between universities, but in general, applicants should have a bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field with a strong academic record. They may also be required to submit standardized test scores, such as the GRE. International applicants may need to provide proof of English proficiency.

2. Is there a difference in the application process for Canada and France?

Yes, there may be slight differences in the application process for these two countries. In Canada, applicants typically need to apply directly to the university they wish to attend. In France, students must apply through a centralized system called Campus France. It is important to research and follow the specific application guidelines for each country and university.

3. Are there any scholarships or funding opportunities for international students in these countries?

Yes, there are various scholarships and funding opportunities available for international students in both Canada and France. These may include government scholarships, university-specific scholarships, and external funding opportunities. It is recommended to research and apply for these opportunities as early as possible, as they may have specific deadlines.

4. Will I be able to work while studying in Canada or France?

In Canada, international students are typically allowed to work part-time on campus and may be eligible for off-campus work permits after a certain period of time. In France, international students are allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week. However, it is important to check the specific regulations and restrictions for international students in each country and to prioritize academic studies before considering part-time work.

5. How long does it take to complete a master's program in Physics in Canada or France?

The duration of a master's program in Physics can vary, but it typically takes 1-2 years to complete in both Canada and France. This may also depend on whether the program includes a thesis or research component. It is important to research the specific program and university to determine the length of the program.