Form Water: Manmade Process & Conditions Needed

• Thread starter Paula
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formation
In summary, water is created through a variety of chemical reactions and is not difficult to produce.
Ooooo. Very amazing. I wouldn't have known that! :rofl:

Anyways, how about this H- and OH+ or whatever, the acid/base thing. Does the +/- mean some isotopes with extra -'s? And then could some heavy Hydrogen form some water? If that is a very stupid question, I am just kidding.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Paula said:
Anyways, how about this H- and OH+ or whatever, the acid/base thing. Does the +/- mean some isotopes with extra -'s? And then could some heavy Hydrogen form some water? If that is a very stupid question, I am just kidding.
A Hydrogen ion has a +1 charge (H+).
The Hydroxide ion has a -1 charge (OH-).

The strong acid base reaction you are describing as as follows,
H+ (aq) + OH- (aq) --> H2O (l)

"Heavy" Hydrogen refers to an isotope of Hydrogen which is heavier than a "normal" Hydrogen atom (i.e. more Neutrons).
The most common form a Hydrogen, by far, is Hydrogen-1 with an atomic weight of 1 amu. There are heavier isotopes of Hydrogen, like Hydrogen-2 and Hydrogen-3 with an atomic mass of 2 and 3 amu s respectively.
Heavy Hydrogen isotopes (or their ions) can indeed form water with Oxygen (of Hydroxides) to form heavy water.
But I don't see how this relates to what your talking about.

So there is not enough heavy water to make this a significant part of all water on earth? ergo it wasn't hydrogen isotopes, scratch that.

I am looking for a chemical explanation for water. I am not interested in Cosmology. I hate it. It is too much conjecture and folks get too upset. So I am looking for a form of Hydrogen and a form of Oxygen which could account for the oceans.

The conventional wisdom that gives us a molten Earth in the past is not very good for the water question, ie the explosive H2 and all. Maybe it was not molten at all.

Last edited:
rctrackstar2007 said:
and the burning of hydrocarbons works just fine except the H2O comes off as steam so you would have to trap it which also traps the CO2 formed.
Not a problem... just use a condenser at about 5ºC.

can any of you tell me the practical procedure for making an water H2O?...from H2 and O..

aravinthsalem said:
can any of you tell me the practical procedure for making an water H2O?...from H2 and O..

Make quantities of Hydrogen and burn it in the atmosphere in a controlled environment like a torch and then condense the water.

An answer of sorts

Paula said:
Gokul--

Well, actually, if I really wanted to get a lot of fresh water somewhere, say to the Sahara, I would tow a nice big glacier from Antarctica.
I am looking for help with how there came to be so much water in the earth. But I don't want to get kicked out of Chemistry over there to Cosmology, okay? Water is venting up from the mid-ocean ridges, and I believe personally that Antarctica's ice is flowing out from the center of the continent, and being replaced from some source. I am unsatisfied by the explanation that water came in on meteors. I want to know some likely candidates for water formation.

A possible answer you are after...

Lets face it, to dissmiss the possiblity of a number of meteors bringing water to Earth is like dismissing gravity. mars, the moon and many other planets all show signs of water in one form or another, either in their atmosphere, on or under their surface. This would be something most likely brought by meteors as there is no evidence to date to show volcanic activity. Can't imagine the moon producing it any other way, so don't think you'll escape the meteors. Sorry.

Life on Earth has adapted to breathing oxygen, which by the way is a poisonous gas and if it wasn't for nitrogen would have burned up Earth long before we would have had a chance to sit here and talk.
we drink it (in essence) and we breath it. Though it slowly kills us, quite a Paradigm if you ask me, however..

Water could possibly form from such things as volcanic activity, volcanoes emitt such things as Carbon and Hydrogen, so you have the building blocks for life, as well as other chemical forming for example, silicon (Si), oxygen (O), magnesium (Mg), iron (Fe), aluminum (Al), calcium (Ca), sodium (Na), potassium (K), titanium (Ti), phosphorous (P) and sulfur (S). alone and in various combinations and proportions they make an amazing variety of materials including basalt, diamonds, and water.
So as you can see there is a possibility that some of our water could have formed from the volcanic activity, though at first would have been highly acidic and after some time the chemicals would have broken down.
Life itself could may have been created from volcanic activity, Early peptides could have been formed from amino acids in volcanic gas. Experiments have shown complex amino acids from volcanoes formed together to make something more complex.
But of course this alone could not possibly create such abundance of water. So there had to be an outside influence that could have made our planet such as it is today.

So I would dare to say that some of the water you see today was from volcanic activity and some from Meteors, though to answer the question of how much either of these possible senarios would have influenced our current world, it would be hard to say.

Really any for of combustion produces CO2 + H20 and or multiple other compounds
such that
2 HCl(hydrochloric acid) + 2 OH ----> 2 H20 +CL2

(Cl2 is poisonous so not recommended)