Fourier analysis: Impulse Symbol(dirac Delta Function)

In summary, the even part of δ(x+3)+δ(x+2) -δ(x+1) +1/2δ(x) +δ(x-1) -δ(x-2) -δ(x-3) can be found by using the piecewise definition of the delta function and applying 1/2 (f(x) + f(-x)) for even parts of a function. Graphically, the even part can be determined by identifying the spikes and plotting them.
ryng35
1. what is the even part of δ(x+3)+δ(x+2) -δ(x+1) +1/2δ(x) +δ(x-1) -δ(x-2) -δ(x-3)?

2. δ= 0 x≠0; ∞ x = 0
1/2 (f(x) + f(-x))
1/2 (f(x) - f(-x))

Knowing the piecewise definition of the delta function, and knowing 1/2 (f(x) + f(-x)) for even parts of a function. I plug this in, knowing that it will give me delta function to be even. I am not sure of exactly how to approach this problem? any help will be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
It clicked on me last night, while I was thinking about this. I think the way I should approach this problem is not to find out a value per-say of the even part, but to look at this problem graphically. By looking at the graph of the function, I can graph the different spikes then find the "even part" graphically.

Related to Fourier analysis: Impulse Symbol(dirac Delta Function)

1. What is the impulse symbol (Dirac delta function) used for in Fourier analysis?

The impulse symbol, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical tool used in Fourier analysis to represent a point-like function that has an infinite height and zero width. It is often used to describe impulsive forces or events in a system.

2. How is the impulse symbol (Dirac delta function) related to the Fourier transform?

The impulse symbol is the inverse Fourier transform of a constant function. This means that the Fourier transform of the impulse symbol is a constant value, and the inverse Fourier transform of a constant function is the impulse symbol.

3. Can the impulse symbol (Dirac delta function) be used to represent any function in Fourier analysis?

Yes, any function can be represented as a sum of impulse symbols in Fourier analysis. This is known as the Dirac comb or Dirac comb function.

4. How is the impulse symbol (Dirac delta function) treated in practical applications of Fourier analysis?

In practical applications, the impulse symbol is often approximated by a narrow spike or pulse. This allows for easier calculations and interpretations of Fourier transforms in real-world scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the impulse symbol (Dirac delta function) in Fourier analysis?

One limitation of the impulse symbol is that it is not a true function, as it has infinite height and zero width. This can lead to difficulties in performing certain calculations or interpretations in Fourier analysis. Additionally, the impulse symbol may not accurately represent certain physical systems, such as those with continuous or smooth forces.